Google Magnetic Declination Finder By IP Address

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTABman0

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 13, 2006
Lat 39.2°N WV Lo 81.5°W
Found this link a bit ago for finding your Magnetic Declination powered by Google. Thought it was cool and useful, if it has been posted before disregard post but it is the first time I have seen this online. Hope it is useful for someone new setting up a new system or someone that has not seen it yet. :up

Google Magnetic Declination Finder By IP Address

Uses your IP Address as a locator though but should get you close to your goal! You can enter your City, State in the calculator manually to get a “closer to your location” reading!

It thinks I am in .... NEW YORK :D :confused:
Los Angeles would have been a better guess
Too bad my ISP has not registered my IP block correctly. (Not that sites fault).

It puts me in the right state but 2 hours south.

Seems a lot like using Google Maps or MapQuest to get directions. It may get you close, but my experience with either of them hasn't been good.

The problem with something like this is that IP addresses can change..For example, I live in Canton, but my current Cable IP address is in Akron, 20 miles north..

A TIP/TRICK

I incorporated a little trick using Google Earth that I think works well.

DishPointer sort of applies this in their calculator, but I think my method presents a better and more useful picture ( I mean an actual true picture, not just a mental image).

I log onto Google Earth and locate my hometown and then dial in on my house making sure that I always select the image to display NORTH UP or NORTH on TOP. Then, I set the "camera" altitude for the image to obtain the clearest satellite picture that I can with as many major landmarks displayed that I can without sacrificing the image quality.

Then, I reposition the image so that my proposed dish installation is centered on the display. The next thing I do is apply Google Earth's image overlay that is basically crosshairs aligned to the cardinal directions. I save this image and print it out with a good quality color printer.

Next, I use a protractor and align it (centered on the dish position) and with the flat base of the protactor aligned to the E-W overlay line. I am then able to make tick marks along the outer circumference of the protractor (indicating the satellite orbital position) and draw straight lines from those tick marks to my dish position.

If I want to locate 97W, I make a tick mark at 97W on the protractor and then draw a line from there to the center point.

Any landmarks along that line that I drew provide me with a reference point (and line) to aim the dish.

Using a compass to position (aim) the dish would be more simple. But, due to some anomally (possibly iron deposits in the soil) I can not rely upon a compass to provide accurate readings here. Therefore, I came up with this little trick to help me improvise and remedy the magnetic compass problem.

I was unaware of the DishPointer program back then (or maybe it hadn't been developed yet). Regardless, my trick worked very nicely. I drew and marked lines for all the major satellites, linear and circular, and laminated the map.

Radar

Last edited:
Got my location wrong enough that I would never be able to point a dish by it.

ILLINOIS
Latitude: 40° 20' 10.7" N
Longitude: 89° 0' 7.9" W
Magnetic declination: 1° 56' WEST
Declination is NEGATIVE

My Latitude is 38.8 and my Longitude is 90.1.

This put me way north of where I really am.

It put me in Parkersburg about 5 miles away as well, but close. I found as I stated in my first post that you can enter in your real location for it to work.

Really, I think if it shows our IP in another state who would set their system up this way?

Weird Proxy At The ISP Provider:
IP address can be out of any state but most of them are local to your location but not all companies use servers in the town of your internet access. Some access providers use proxy’s that happens to be on the same ISP's network but use a special proxy at their end that bounces it around for greater anonymity. But I have been told by a tech guy friend that works for Sudden Link Cable here in Parkersburg not all uses such proxy. They don’t as of this post.

I thought it was a good thing to show since I never saw it before and thought you guys would give it a go and play around with it.

I checked this out and it came out correct because my ISP server is in the same city as me. Be aware that magnetic declination changes over time as the magnetic poles wander. About 24 years ago my magnetic declination was at 0.0 degrees, but it is currently at 3 degrees, 31 minutes West.

I checked this out and it came out correct because my ISP server is in the same city as me. Be aware that magnetic declination changes over time as the magnetic poles wander. About 24 years ago my magnetic declination was at 0.0 degrees, but it is currently at 3 degrees, 31 minutes West.

SatPhreak,

Good point!

Here is another tip... If you have a good GPS unit, you don't need to worry about this angle at all. Use true positioning (satellite triangulation) and you can forget about any magnetic deviations to correct your compass reading. Any anomalies with metal buildings, high tension power lines or localized mineral (ground) deposits will have no affect.

Radar

SatPhreak,

Good point!

Here is another tip... If you have a good GPS unit, you don't need to worry about this angle at all. Use true positioning (satellite triangulation) and you can forget about any magnetic deviations to correct your compass reading. Any anomalies with metal buildings, high tension power lines or localized mineral (ground) deposits will have no affect.

Radar

I have a newer GPS unit, and a Garmin GPS III which I used before I got the new one. I wired it into my laptop with the data cable and ran Streets & Trips when I had a job that required me to drive to and fro around customer locations.

Both of these only work while you are MOVING! So, I cannot use them to point my dish.

I have a newer GPS unit, and a Garmin GPS III which I used before I got the new one. I wired it into my laptop with the data cable and ran Streets & Trips when I had a job that required me to drive to and fro around customer locations.

Both of these only work while you are MOVING! So, I cannot use them to point my dish.

I agree. I think part of the confusion with respect to bearings and GPS is that some GPS units must have built in electronic compasses, which have nothing to do with GPS, and thus you'd still have the same issues with local magnetic anomalies, metal pipes, etc. If it's just a GPS, then absolutely, you cannot get a bearing just standing there.

I've read posts from people who agree with this, but claim that what they do is to walk rapidly away from the dish while watching the GPS, and read the heading indicated. Putting aside the fact that you'd have to perform several of these walks to figure out the direction you're looking for, and would have to walk a very long distance to get a reasonable estimate of heading, I really don't think that this can be very accurate, however it's *possible* that this could get you close.

The reason I was doubtful about the accuracy is that with most consumer GPS units, you're lucky to be able to get accuracy to +/- 50', even though when you read the estimate of accuracy that the GPS gives, sometimes you'll see things like 15' or some units suggest even better accuracy, in the 3-5' range.

I have done MANY experiments with the 6 or 7 GPS units I've owned over the years, and while I know that the newer GPS units might be capable of more accuracy than the older units, these things just aren't as accurate as people think.
Most of my experiments have involved connecting the GPS to a computer and recording the NMEA messages sent out by the GPS, and plotting the indicated position over time. One experiment involved using a fixed external GPS antenna, collecting data for over day or more. I've done this on older GPS units with/without SA , and have also tried it on WAAS units and I also have a DGPS adapter. Every time I've tried this, I was really dissappointed at the lack of accuracy. The older units would wander HUNDREDS of feet, even though they are rated to 50' without SA. Both the WAAS and LF DGPS units are rated down in the range of less than 10', however even with those, I see wandering of 50-100' at times. I've also tried to do simulated DGPS with two GPS units, using one as a reference, but that was even worse, because with consumer GPS units, you can't insure that the 2 units are using the same sats for the calculation.
I have also mapped some trails around my house DOZENS of times, with the WAAS and DGPS units, and the narrow trails appear to be 100' wide in the combined plots. So the accuracy of GPS cannot be relied on.

HOWEVER, actually, accuracy isn't necessary. For getting a heading while moving, accuracy isn't important, but precision is. Ie you get the heading by comparing two positions, and seeing which direction the second position is relative to the first. Both positions can be off by a mile, as long as the relative orientation of the two is correct. Ie slow wandering wouldn't affect the accuracy of GPS headings, so it's possible that headings obtained by GPS MIGHT be quite accurate. I've never seen any specs relative to the short term precision of GPS measurements related to the accuracy of headings, but I have done some crude experiments walking down my driveway at a fast pace multiple times, comparing the headings, and I wasn't very impressed by the precision of the headings indicated. I was getting bearings that varied from 295 to 320, even on the same trial. Clearly not good enough to be useful, unless you collected the data and averaged the results.

Anyway, while I LOVE GPS, and use them for all sorts of things, unless you have a very expensive professional DGPS unit, I don't think it can be relied upon to give bearings that are any better than a cheap compass, in particular a compass where the needle moves, not the whole scale. However my opinion is based on the GPS units I've owned, so there may be newer units out there that perform better.

BTW, my experiments with my DGPS unit were somewhat amusing. The DGPS option is a box, about 3x5x8" or so, and has an antenna similar to a GPS antenna, and it fed into my regular GPS, with which I was using an external antenna that looked like a 5" tall egg. Mounted both antennas on a fork shaped PVC tubing holder, and put everything in a back-pack, with the antennas sticking out the top over the back of my head. I looked like a Ghost-Busters character walking around the neighborhood. Luckily we don't get very much traffic on our road, so not too many people saw me.

But after seeing the poor results, I decided that the contraption wasn't worth the effort.

I have used a GPS many times to set a very close direction.
First, I go to my dish location and set a waypoint. Next, I go out about 100 feet and get a "Bearing" reading for the waypoint on the GPS. This is 180 degrees out from the heading, but is easy to calculate. I then put up a marker at the bearing I want, go back to the dish and sight to my marker.
I was off only one time, and I may not have done my math right. Otherwise I have been within "tug" range. BTW magnetic readings here are worthless. The sun rises in the north east on the center of our property in the east at the north side and in the south at the real south end of the property. A lot of minerals in the ground and a major power line From The Dalles Dam running across it! Also very windy, but would that affect a compass?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)