Got Hopperized!

I've had 722Ks successfully download initial software from EA in the past. Just had to run a check switch. Hopper during the installation wizard runs a check switch. I would assume that it would see 61.5/72.7 during the check switch and download the appropriate software.

Sounds like you had your Hopper successfully lock onto 119 without a check switch. All 3 of mine would get stuck at step 3 or step 5 on 119 until I did a Factory Defaults which would pull up the installation wizard then proceed to do a check switch.

I've had 722Ks successfully download initial software from EA in the past. Just had to run a check switch. Hopper during the installation wizard runs a check switch. I would assume that it would see 61.5/72.7 during the check switch and download the appropriate software.

Sounds like you had your Hopper successfully lock onto 119 without a check switch. All 3 of mine would get stuck at step 3 or step 5 on 119 until I did a Factory Defaults which would pull up the installation wizard then proceed to do a check switch.

In the past you could do a check switch run ,but not now. THey now have a install wizard for replacement receivers that do NOT allow you to do a checkswitch. It goes to do a software download right up front and will not allow you to do anything till it completes this step. If no 119 in your matrix , you will not get anywhere. I spent 6 hours a couple of months ago when I got my replacement 722k, trying to get it to work. Finally the next day I was off work , I went outside and switched my 110 sat to a 119 sat on my side sat plugged into my eastern arc dish , and the 722k took the software download, then it did a checkswitch run and it authorized.

I ended up talking to the CEO /executive department about that one. I said to them , how come you haven't fixed this glitch from 2008 yet? He said that they had ,but here I was stuck on step 3 of the install wizard for 6 hours because it wouldn't seek any other satellite but 119 ,just like the original software of the 722k in 2008. He said he would forward this information to the tech department. I said either change your install wizard so you can run a checkswitch on the first step , so you could pick the right satellite matrix, or ship the replacement receivers with their initial software already installed and you could run a checkswitch from the beginning. He agreed that either one would avoid the problem. I then got a free month of top 200 programming credit for my two days of problems trying to authorize the replacement receiver.

As for the Hopper , I feared that it would do the same thing as the 722k a couple of months ago and re did my lnb on my side sat for 119 so it would be in the matrix from the start. When the hopper downloaded the software, it was already in the matrix and it downloaded the software with no problems. For once I got ahead of the problem before it started. Otherwise I would still be waiting for the hopper to download the software. I couldn't even find the menu with the factory reset in the initial menus of the hopper ,that I read about on this board. It didn't have them yet. So it looks like DISH changed their intial software in the hopper to prevent a factory reset.

Last edited:
MikeD-C05 said:
In the past you could do a check switch run ,but not now. THey now have a install wizard for replacement receivers that do NOT allow you to do a checkswitch. It goes to do a software download right up front and will not allow you to do anything till it completes this step. If no 119 in your matrix , you will not get anywhere. I spent 6 hours a couple of months ago when I got my replacement 722k, trying to get it to work. Finally the next day I was off work , I went outside and switched my 110 sat to a 119 sat on my side sat plugged into my eastern arc dish , and the 722k took the software download, then it did a checkswitch run and it authorized.

I ended up talking to the CEO /executive department about that one. I said to them , how come you haven't fixed this glitch from 2008 yet? He said that they had ,but here I was stuck on step 3 of the install wizard for 6 hours because it wouldn't seek any other satellite but 119 ,just like the original software of the 722k in 2008. He said he would forward this information to the tech department. I said either change your install wizard so you can run a checkswitch on the first step , so you could pick the right satellite matrix, or ship the replacement receivers with their initial software already installed and you could run a checkswitch from the beginning. He agreed that either one would avoid the problem. I then got a free month of top 200 programming credit for my two days of problems trying to authorize the replacement receiver.

As for the Hopper , I feared that it would do the same thing as the 722k a couple of months ago and re did my lnb on my side sat for 119 so it would be in the matrix from the start. When the hopper downloaded the software, it was already in the matrix and it downloaded the software with no problems. For once I got ahead of the problem before it started. Otherwise I would still be waiting for the hopper to download the software. I couldn't even find the menu with the factory reset in the initial menus of the hopper ,that I read about on this board. It didn't have them yet. So it looks like DISH changed their intial software in the hopper to prevent a factory reset.

Even with that new install wizard you can still run a check switch. As soon as the receiver boots up on step one press **menu and it bypasses the install wizard and takes you to the normal point dish screen. A lot of guys in our office caught hell over this until we learned how to bypass it.

Even with that new install wizard you can still run a check switch. As soon as the receiver boots up on step one press **menu and it bypasses the install wizard and takes you to the normal point dish screen. A lot of guys in our office caught hell over this until we learned how to bypass it.

You're kidding. I can't remember now if I tried to do that or not. I guess I learned something today. But wouldn't be easier if the first step in the install wizard was run the Checkswitch ? Before the new install wizard , you could easily run a checkswitch and get everything ready and just call DISH and get it authorized without problems.

Oh tell me about it. That new software is terrible and they didn't even make it readily known how to bypass it. I learned it here on the forums and passed it along to my office.

Funny thing is I have a 1000.2 setup with 110/119/129, yet all 3 Hoppers failed to acquire signal on 119 past step 3 or step 5 until I did a factory defaults. It wouldn't even go to the installation wizard.

Funny thing is I have a 1000.2 setup with 110/119/129, yet all 3 Hoppers failed to acquire signal on 119 past step 3 or step 5 until I did a factory defaults. It wouldn't even go to the installation wizard.
Funny, I couldn't even find the factory reset button in my menu because the setup wizard wouldn't allow me to get to the menu part with it in it. I tried to do what I read here and couldn't get that far. But luckily I had 119 included in my eastern arc dish setup and it grabbed 119 and downloaded the software.

Like I said I didn't know if that included the dish install ,running the coaxes etc. I now Know it does include it. I stand corrected and you are right, not everyone is as educated as most members on this board. Maybe DISH ought to include a link to this site to help their customers get more familiar with their satellite equipment. I've learned more Here, than from any thing I ever got from the DISH techs or csrs over the phone.;)

+1 Amen

Funny, I couldn't even find the factory reset button in my menu because the setup wizard wouldn't allow me to get to the menu part with it in it. I tried to do what I read here and couldn't get that far. But luckily I had 119 included in my eastern arc dish setup and it grabbed 119 and downloaded the software.

Yeah I followed the steps in the article I posted here in an earlier post. It probably would have worked for EA as well.

It all depends on what screen pops up first what you have to do. If you get an 015 try a factory reset this should bring you to 833 which is a check switch. If you get to 833 just let it go till it gets to 015 here it will either hag or go through. If it hangs on 119 you need to run a check switch to get past this point. It forces it to look at 72.

Whenever we get a palette of 722s without the system wizard I grab as many as I can and keep an eye on it so I can keep getting 722s from it. I hate the stupid wizard it takes twice as long and unless you put your meter on the line before hooking it up you don't know if there are any problems.

The new install wizard on the 211/222/722 receivers does run a check switch on step 3 of 5. It clearly says on the screen "Installing Switch". But yes, *, Menu allows you to do it the old fashion way, which still seems easier to me. You absolutely do not need 119 to download software on any of these boxes, Hopper or otherwise. As stated previously, the 833 screen is the switch test on the Hoppers.

To be honest, it almost seems like the Hoppers start up faster with the .2 EA LNB than they do on the WA. Makes me wonder if they tested them together during development.

The experiance of my office is the .2 EA takes about twice as long to download than a .2 WA. The 833 screen is great when it pops up first but alot of the time you get 015. When the factory reset fails the only option short of swappin hoppas is a manual check switch.

Another tip to installers when trying to get your confirmation and you get stuck because it will not test tuner 2. Reset the hopper when it comes back up immediately go back to send status and try again. What is happening is tuner 2 is doing a guide download resetting stops it for about 5 mins

I also had one of the Hoppers tell me that my DPP33 was a DP34 with only 1 sat connection (yet 3 tuners with 1 cable... go figure.) I checked the wiring a couple of times (a pain) then I said "screw it" and did a red button reset. Not surprisingly, it properly detected the DPP33 upon reset.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts