Got re-mapped and can now pick up CBS and NBC

Mr. Old School

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
I was mapped to Roanoke, VA which is 80 miles away and was receiving no locals with a signal strength of 19. Sean kindly got me re-mapped to Greensboro, NC for locals and I can now pick up CBS and NBC. I also pick up 3 different PBS channels, but FOX, ABC, and UPN are a no go. Of course my signal strength is still 19.

I was supposed to have a guy come out today and "evaluate" my OTA situation. Voom had told me that I'd probably have to have an antenna upgrade. The guy was supposed to be here between 8 and 12 this morning, but he is tied up doing installs and it's going to be later when he can make it.

I talked to him on the phone and he says that he is probably going to have to put a high powered in-line signal amplifier on to help get my signal up. He says the little bit of power the Winegard gets from the receiver is not enough to properly power the antenna. The guy at Radio Shack told me the opposite. He said if you threw more power at the line, you would run a risk of frying the LNB on the Voom dish. So, who's right?

Sean Mota said:
Mr. Old School,

did you read this post. Your mapping was changed today.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=139103&postcount=206

Yes, Sean I read that. When I received your e-mail, I just checked my channels out of curiousity and it had already taken place.

My post here was to verify that I was re-mapped, but was only receiving 2 of the 4 networks. My signal strength is still weak, but since Greensboro is closer than Roanoke, I guess that's why I am able to pick up a few of them.

I am still waiting on the guy to get here to see what he can do about improving my signal. I posted what he said about using a high powered amplifier in the line, but wanted some opinions as if it could possibly harm the dish. He said that what little bit of power the receiver kicks out to the antenna isn't enough to make it work properly. Just looking for some feedback on that statement.

Just curious if they might come back, remove the diplexer and use the power that originally came with the antenna. That would make more sense.

ABC45 and UPN48 do not broadcast in digital or HD yet from Greensboro. I called and ask them. There waiting for somone from ABC to come out and hook them up. That's what the woman told me.

slater said:
ABC45 and UPN48 do not broadcast in digital or HD yet from Greensboro. I called and ask them. There waiting for somone from ABC to come out and hook them up. That's what the woman told me.

Well I am able to pick up both of them with my Silver Sensor plugged into the Digital Antenna port on my tv. Not sure when you called them, but I was picking them up last week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts