Grab/Kill list for reinstall

Heinrich

Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
I can't find the file that holds my grab/kill list. I want to save it seperately so that I can uninstall and reinstall this software. I can't get any volume suddenly even though the default XM Radio software works fine.

Don't remember where it is located off hand (I am at work right now), but that information should be retained after a fresh install (even after un-installing first).

Dan

(C) :\Documents and Settings\ (phucknut) \Application Data\TimeTrax

The file name is 'Restriction.txt'

'C' is the drive your document and settings folder is located on, and 'phucknut' would be your logged in user ID at time of installation of the Time Trax Software. Now I am using Time Trax Classic 3.2 which has been the most stable for me and thats where the files are located. This could be different for Recast - but I refuse to upgrade at this time.

This is also where the TimeTrax.log file is so you know what TT is doing and recording and so on

This was something I asked a while back and never received an answer for and had to dig it up myself.

Hope that helps.
Also - if you want a copy of mine for the O&A on XM 202 I could e-mail it to you - please PM me.

Also... As Rancid... pointed out on another message board. ALMOST EVERYTHING else for TimeTrax is located in the registry

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\Time Trax Technologies\TimeTrax]

ALL your settings are in there for EVERYTHING it seems. I was at least able to save my registry and install it onto my new machine as I will need to format this one... It's nice to know where these things are for backup and restoring.

PLEASE BE ADVISED - EDITING YOUR REGISTRY IS and CAN BE DANGEROUS.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT UNLESS YOU ARE
1. willing to possibly lose Windows stability :(
2. have done so before and are familiar :cool:
3. just like to ruin things and this type of action would
be no exception :shocked

I agree and want to reiterate to be very careful if you decide to get into your registry and make any changes (and not just to Recast/Time Trax, this applies to all of your registry settings).

Unless you use a special 'scrubber' app, even if you uninstall the application, your preferences and settings should be retained.

Maybe a future possible feature would be like the Netflix feature to 'share' preferences with your friends. I know I can also do it on Yahoo Launch - basically someone else can listen to a station based on my preferences. This could tie in really nicely to some advanced search features, etc.

David
Time Trax

Well, you are missing why this investigation had to take place in the first place.

1. It was asked about in the previous set of posts in the forum before it was removed and all these new posts started. It was never answered.

2. This person asks the same question, it goes unanswered and I had enough free time to post it on another forum - investigate - and then got results and wanted to share it here as it seems no one still had an answer.

3. Most important, is that when you spend all this time settng up your record schedule and grab/kill lists. You want to be able to transfer this to another machine, or a re-installed machine, or a second machine. So now this can be done, with ease, and no need for setting up everythign ALL over again.

As usual, I might be a unique case, but I re-image my machine almost every 6 months. It's shown to get the max performance of the box that a format and re-install is very nice. However, when relying on TT as much as I do, its tedious to set up all my scheduled tasks.

So - now I get to without a problem... WooHoo!

Also - It might be a possible good suggestion to have an EXPORT feature. Just dump all this info to an xml or a ini type file and then IMPORT it into the newly installed TT.

This is why Timetrax completely corrupts my copy of Windows on this PC and renders it unbootable. This is a serious problem.

The only thing installed on this Media Center XP computer is the standard XM Radio software and Timetraxtech.

AFter about two weeks I get an error message saying that my registry is full and that Windows will no longer accept any entries into the registry.

THEN I get an error message after another week saying that my registry is corrupt and that Windows will not load. I am stuck on a DOS looking screen - I don't even get into Wndows.

Then I reinstall Media Center XP and start over again.

This is a really serious bug.

Heinrich-

I'm not sure what you are referring to as 'why Timetrax completely corrupts my copy of windows.'

Recast interacts with the system registry in a very standard way that follows basic recommended and widely used functions. I've searched our internal knowledge base and support tickets and have not found another reported case like this.

If you really suspect that Recast is the culprit, then please let us know by setting up a support ticket. We'll then work with you to generate some debug logs from your system and arrange to get a copy of your registry to see exactly what's going on.

My hunch is that TimeTrax Recast is not what is causing your registry problems - however - we are very interested to check it out for you so we can act quickly if we're putting out software with such a significant problem.

If anyone else has had similar problems, please chime in here and let us know. We need your help to check this out.

Thanks!

David
Time Trax

I'm working with a full clean copy of Windows Media Center XP right now. When it happens again, as soon as I get the first warning, I will contact you. Right now I'm out of town a lot through thanksgiving so it may be well into December before the problem happens again and I am able to report to you. Thanks for responding. As I stated, the ONLY thing running on this PC is Timetrax

i'm setting up a support ticket. Again I have NO software installed other than Timetrax, and I left for a week...when I return, I have a message on the PC that "the registry is full and will accept no further requests." Based on past experience, the PC will fail to reboot.

TimeTrax utilizes the registry in a very standard way - it reads from it at startup, and writes to it in two places:

- at shutdown
- whenever a configuration setting is changed, box checked, etc

Basically, the only time it writes to the registry is at shutdown, or when you manually change something. Even in those cases, it is writing to locations which already contain data, so it is not going to enlarge the registry by doing so.

The total registry space taken up by TimeTrax, at the very most, is approximately 15K. Being that your registry size limit (do a search for WINDOWS RSL in Google) is typically 25% of your physical memory (specifically, your paged pool), the data stored by TimeTrax in the registry is hardly going to cause it to fill up.

I would suggest that your problem is being caused by something else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)