Grade A signal??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

magicofdisney

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
Tomorrowland
My local Fox affiliate claims my location has a Grade A signal (in HD) but I rarely get a strength over 50%. Most recordings (HR20-700) come out choppy, blocky and junky. Because of the Grade A I can't get a waiver. Does anyone know if D* will work with me to get a waiver, perhaps by sending someone to test the strength? Right now I have an outdoor OTA that D* installed with my slimline dish.

Thanks

My local Fox affiliate claims my location has a Grade A signal (in HD) but I rarely get a strength over 50%. Most recordings (HR20-700) come out choppy, blocky and junky. Because of the Grade A I can't get a waiver. Does anyone know if D* will work with me to get a waiver, perhaps by sending someone to test the strength? Right now I have an outdoor OTA that D* installed with my slimline dish.

Thanks

Not if you are considered A. What you need to look into is upgrading that antenna to something that has a better chance to get channels. 50% is ok but not enough to lock some. The ones Directv usually installs is more for city perimeters and dont have much range or strength. Try this site and see what they are asking for and distance to the towers.

AntennaWeb

also check this site out for your market and tips

United States THREAD INDEX - find your local discussion thread HERE. - AVS Forum

What market are you in? More markets are coming online this year and next over Directv. Since you have the right dish and receiver, your market may be online in the next 6 months.

if the signal that is choppy is from your OTA, then it is what it is. don't know anything about a waiver.

1a. Tell us your zip and antenna make & model.

1b. This is most likely the issue, incorrect item for your specific need and/or mis-aligned.

2. The predictive signal is based on analog, not digital and NO you will NOT get a waiver.

Not if you are considered A. What you need to look into is upgrading that antenna to something that has a better chance to get channels. 50% is ok but not enough to lock some. The ones Directv usually installs is more for city perimeters and dont have much range or strength. Try this site and see what they are asking for and distance to the towers.

AntennaWeb

also check this site out for your market and tips

United States THREAD INDEX - find your local discussion thread HERE. - AVS Forum
Thanks for the links, I'm already discussing the problem with the locals in my market on AVS. They're all getting blocks of junk as well with Fox.

My zip is 32608 and last I checked we're WAY down on the bottom of the totem pole for locals. I don't know how to find out what make and model antenna I have but it looks just like this one.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=AD-DB2

I've tried turning the antenna around and the position it's in now allows reception of all the locals but like I said Fox is the weakest. For whatever reason, the strength has gone down hill in the last couple of months. Thanks for all the feedback.

I hope it is an error on antennaweb but they show a channel 31 WBXG at 2.7 mi. compass heading of 341degrees. FOX WOGX channel 51.1 uses channel 31 for it's digital broadcast and is at compass heading of 170degrees and 17.8 miles away. If this is true the two stations are fighting each other WBOX comes in from the back side of your antenna almost 180 degrees off the broadcaster you are trying to pick up. NO ANTENNA IS GOING TO GIVE CLEAR PICTURES if that information is true.

I hope it is an error on antennaweb but they show a channel 31 WBXG at 2.7 mi. compass heading of 341degrees. FOX WOGX channel 51.1 uses channel 31 for it's digital broadcast and is at compass heading of 170degrees and 17.8 miles away. If this is true the two stations are fighting each other WBOX comes in from the back side of your antenna almost 180 degrees off the broadcaster you are trying to pick up. NO ANTENNA IS GOING TO GIVE CLEAR PICTURES if that information is true.
antennaweb definitely has errors. When I punched in all my info and looked at the mapping of the stations, they had Fox and ABC coming from the same direction. In reality, Fox is in a city south of me and ABC is in the northern part of this city. I live in the SW section of my town.

The good news is I found out I have a small multi-directional antenna and I think I probably need a medium directional. Does anyone know if I can put that in my attic as opposed to placing it on the roof? I'm quite sure my HOA will NOT approve a visible MD.

The rules of thumb are usually this.

1. Bigger and higher the better
2. Direction helps
3. Clear sight

So many folks have had great success with ones in the attic. I prefer Channel master products and like Yagi's for UHF and the typical flat long wires for VHF. You have to determine which ones are UHF/VHF and the direction and buy as big as you can get away with. If its all UHF and one direction, a good 6 foot Yagi in the attic if under 30 miles should work. Stay away from any of the retail ones like Terk. Best prices are usually online at places like SolidSignal.com

Folks have had good success with this UHF specific one too. Antennas direct tend to be a bit more expensive then the comparable Channel Master ones work as well.

Antennas Direct DB8 UHF HDTV Antenna (DB8) | DB8 [Antennas Direct] | DB8 d B 8 db-8 d-b8 b8

Channel Master CM 4228 8-Bay Bowtie UHF Antenna (CM4228) | CM4228 [Channel Master] | CM-4228 4228 CM 4228 bow tie bow-tie channel master 4228 channel master CM4228 channel master CM-4228

Channel Master Products | Solid Signal

...they had Fox and ABC coming from the same direction. In reality, Fox is in a city south of me and ABC is in the northern part of this city.
Just to be clear, where the station is located often isn't related to where their broadcast tower is located. If you already knew this, I apologize. It's quite common, and smart, that all or most stations locate their towers in the same general area.

Now this is where the FCC ruling on antennae apply the most. He can mount the antenna on his home without the fear of the HOA. If your HOA tries and dictates what tpye of antenna you have on your house tell them to mind there own business. Inform them that the FCC rulings for OTA antennae over rules there HOA rules.

As far as an antenna get a good one they will pull in all the channels. The better antenna will last for years

I only live about 25-30 miles from my local tower farm but a 6' Yagi wasn't quite enough to get them all - mostly due to lots of Pine and Oak tree interference. I now have a Philips 51-element and the darn thing is spot on with all stations, except the one that is barely strong enough to run a toaster (independent network/channel). But I am lucky in that all of my net's broadcast from one central tower farm and the towers are over 750' tall, so they have maximum range and power. The strongest is 1000kw ranging down to 400kw.

So in all of this, you need to focus on maximum range to farthest tower/signal, how strong are those signals (closer weaker signal might need more help than farther stronger signal), elevation, and direction of focus. IIRC, some local posters to AVS who live halfway between Charleston and Savannah (about 100 miles apart) use a Channel Master 4228. This is the larger version of what you showed in your link. If you are more on a straight line with all your stations, go for the Yagi design. If you happen to be caught in the middle or off on a tangent, maybe you should also consider a rotor mount.

So there are lots of choices and opinions...you make the call and keep us posted so your successes (and failures) can serve as guidance for others. :)

Just to be clear, where the station is located often isn't related to where their broadcast tower is located. If you already knew this, I apologize. It's quite common, and smart, that all or most stations locate their towers in the same general area.
Ok, that explains antennaweb. Thanks for that input. Learn something new everyday. :) After some research, Fox and ABC are indeed in the same direction. The other two split my signals opposite ways.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sweet hr20 deal not so good

Returning Customer wanting to use Original Equipment w/ New Dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)