Great Falls paper: Fox on KLMN full-time

Status
Please reply by conversation.

carload

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 9, 2003
Even as I watch RetroJams this morning on KLMN, I read this article in the Great Falls Tribune: http://www.gftribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070505/NEWS01/705050302

"FOX programming abruptly shifted at midnight this morning (May 5) from KTGF-16 in Great Falls to KLMN-26."

..."A detailed explanation of the switch was not available from the two stations Friday evening."

Excuse me if this is in the wrong FTA section here. And thanks to a FTABlog visitor from Great Falls for pointing it out.

interesting.

I know the KLMN had Fox a while back but when the NBC bought a LP station out there, they made it Fox. So for a while there were TWO Fox stations in Great Falls :)

Bresnan (cable company) hasnt updated their site yet. Channel lineup stilll shows Channel 3 as a blank station in Great Falls :)

well this sucks.....turn on the channel to see the race since it was rained out and BOTH KLMN & WMQF have other programming :(

looks like locally they had to move KLMN to a new cable channel due to outside interference.

Ghostly apparitions have chased a Great Falls Fox affiliate onto a different cable channel.

But there's nothing supernatural about it.

Images from a Great Falls broadcast station, KRTV-3, were interfering with the picture for some cable viewers in Great Falls, who saw Fox on channel 3. The ghosts, or "bleed-in," from the broadcast channel were creating something of a double image for some customers, according to Sean O'Donnell, regional vice president and general manager for Bresnan Communications' Montana operations.
The picture should be fine on the Fox affiliate's new location, cable channel 22 in Great Falls, O'Donnell said. The change takes effect today.

KLMN-TV is the Great Falls Fox channel, airing popular programs such as "American Idol" and "24."

Bresnan plans to leave channel 3 blank to avoid the problem in the future, he said.

Confusion over Fox shows in Great Falls began May 5, when KLMN resumed broadcasting Fox programming, taking over from Great Falls station KTGF. KLMN, Channel 26 without cable, allowed KTGF to continue to run Fox shows while resolving some technical issues.

The eventual loss of Fox shows sent KTGF scrambling to find programming, and it also put Bresnan cable in a tight spot.

"Channel 3 was really our only option," O'Donnell said. "We temporarily put it on Channel 3."

After KLMN moves to Channel 22 on Great Falls cable, plans are for it to stay there.

"That's what we're trying to get done," O'Donnell said.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007705150301

Images from a Great Falls broadcast station, KRTV-3, were interfering with the picture for some cable viewers in Great Falls, who saw Fox on channel 3. The ghosts, or "bleed-in," from the broadcast channel were creating something of a double image for some customers, according to Sean O'Donnell, regional vice president and general manager for Bresnan Communications' Montana operations.

Looks like their cable system requires maintenance, ingress can be solved by making certain that all shielding and connectors are tight. Cox here in the New Orleans area had the TV Guide channel on cable channel 4, which is used by high-powered WWL-TVs analog broadcast signal. You could always tell that you had loose connections or open shield somewhere when the TV Guide channel had herringbones :)

Cox removed the TV Guide channel, as well as all premium channels and some others, from their analog tier last year to reclaim bandwidth...

Tron
I had the same problem in Duluth, MN

Charter cable had the locals (3,6,8,10,21) on 4,5,12,13,11. But then they put other channels on 3,8,10. I don't remember what they were but it was goofy. What was really bad is we had a low power UPN on OTA 12 for 11 months so I would see PBS picture but a mix of UPN & PBS sound on that channel. :(

noticed that the callsign is changed on the channel banner (after I accidentally did a factory reset) :mad:

logs as "KLMN-GFMT" (no longer KWFT)

Tron
I had the same problem in Duluth, MN

Charter cable had the locals (3,6,8,10,21) on 4,5,12,13,11. But then they put other channels on 3,8,10. I don't remember what they were but it was goofy. What was really bad is we had a low power UPN on OTA 12 for 11 months so I would see PBS picture but a mix of UPN & PBS sound on that channel. :(

I've heard that the cable systems will often put "fluff" channels, banner channels, or other programming that is less likely to cause a fuss if there is ingress on channels shared by local broadcasters...

Guess they didn't care too much about the TV Guide channel here :) TitanTV is 1000 percent better, so I don't miss it much anymore :)

looks like they are slowly adding programming...just saw a commercial for "Greatest American Hero" tomorrow night (Sunday) at 10 MDT

I saw a commercial for the Renegade at 2PM (Mountain) weekdays. However, I thought I caught the last few minutes of an episode this past Sunday afternoon (around 1PM Central). However, I was still recovering from a wedding Sat. night, so my knowledge of what I saw may be incorrect. :)

KLMN now shows up on Zap2it.com

zip code 59405 select cable...its channel 22

Looks like they are carrying retro jams a few times a day :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)