Grounding from an apartment balcony?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

zionzr2

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Middleton, WI
I have the triple lnb dish. I live on the second floor and I have it lashed to the balcony b/c the landlord wont allow for a permant install. I have the cable run through the through-wall airconditioner slot. There is no obvious grounding source. How should i get this thing grounded?

for it to truly to be grounded the ground wire has to be shorter than the coax run, because electricity takes the path of least resistance,
personally i would forget trying to rig up a regular ground, because if you are asking here you have pretty much already figured out it's not really doable.
i would just run everything into a good quality surge protector, and maybe put an inline coax surge protector (a little fuse type thing that is supposed to pop if it gets hit by lightning) in the line, and hope for the best...
just my opinion

Couldn't you run a small ground wire into the inside of the apartment and put it into the ground hole of one of your power outlets?

I know this isn't up to code, but it may be an option.

Neutron said:
Couldn't you run a small ground wire into the inside of the apartment and put it into the ground hole of one of your power outlets?

I know this isn't up to code, but it may be an option.

While i could physically do this! Even run the wire behind the plate and screw it to the ground screw on the air-contioners power outlet! This will also make the ground wire run shorter than the coax run. Will This give the necessary protection?? I know it may not meet code, but would this be adequate protection?? Do the Coax surge protection strips also ground the coax line?

you can also buy something called a grounding module from a company called ITT...it's a plug in ground module that you can run the ground wire too...it will tell you if it's grounded or not...and it's also up to code as per Directv

In my apartment complex there are gas meters for the gas heat coming in from utility, and apparently they need to be grounded, since they are attached to a grounding spike driven into the, uh, ground. I suppose if you have one of those nearby you could ground to that. I've seen at least one dish installation in one of these apartments where this was done.

dragontat002 said:
you can also buy something called a grounding module from a company called ITT...it's a plug in ground module that you can run the ground wire too...it will tell you if it's grounded or not...and it's also up to code as per Directv

where do i find these???
I've been searching the internet and cant seem to find what you describe.

Call Power & Telephone and Supply at (800) 238-7514.......They may be able to assist you....tell them you are looking for TII Network Technologies Model 442 Grounding module with AC outlet.......I don't know for sure if they will sell to an individual but that should point you in the right direction

VIASATELLITE said:
Are you nuts? You never ground to black pipe. But if you do, make sure your insurance policy is up to date with enough coverage. You'll need it!

Not black pipe. A grounding rod driven into the ground that the gas meters are grounded to. Or maybe that guy's apartment is going to asplode one day.

Ah well, it seems that I have yet to see any straight answer from anyone about where to ground a dish, only gleeful admonitions about where not to ground a dish, and complaints about how crappy installers are always grounding wrong. I even found a site that was full of nothing but how not to ground your dish. Absolutely NOTHING about how to properly ground it, but plenty of "whoo! lookit that! that guy's house is gonna blowd up!"

I think that based on the number of questions regarding this, coupled with the number of 'doom and gloom' posters I've seen about how much death, property damage, destruction, and armageddon that can be caused by a non or improperly grounded dish, that this should be the one thing that should be covered in a FAQ of some kind. It should cover everything: grounding the dish in your home, apartment, bootleg condo installation, camper, deer camp tent, RV, boat, submarine, skyscraper, out in the middle of the desert, whatever. It should be centrally located, with a clear link to it. It should be the first page in the "So, you bought a new dish" installation guide.

I'm beginning to think that this is a conspiracy brought about by electricians, who have the sekret of how to ground your dish, but will not tell you how to do it. They'll do it for you, but if you ever post something on a DBS forum site like "Hey everyone, lookit I got a 'lectritian to ground my dish!" there will be 25 replies in the thread from people saying that he did it wrong and you have now put your life and your family's lives at grave risk, and you deserve the lightning bolt that will surely fry every electronic device in your house, including your pacemaker. See you on the six o'clock news.

Look, all we want to do is watch TV on the superior picture that satellite provides, and do it without invoking Thor's +5 Hammer of Extreme Voltage upon our houses. Can we get an honest, definitive answer on where to ground the frakin' dish? I know there's a "code" out there, but it's in Contractoreeze; an English explaination would be appreciated. It's almost enough to make a potential DBS customer say "Screw this, it looks like a dish can kill me, I'm going back to cable."

Fortunately, I am insured by USAA.

Thank You "walkerjs" !!
I bet it wouldn't need 10% of the pictures, which are used for showing how not to do it.
Would somebody please pick up that threat and "learn us" ??? :)

But if lightning the hits the cable junction box outside my house won't my house blow up also????? (and I KNOW its not grounded right)

Clarification: I mean the cable company junction box that about 6 houses connect into - not the box on my house (thats grounded)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)