Grounding problem?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lincoln3

Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
I am having problems at my grounding block. The connectors seem to be collecting water and breaking the center conductor in my coax at the connector. I am using coax that existed in the wall when I bought the house. Could there be amplifiers in the cable somewhere causing to much power in my D-11. I have replaced the ground block once and all 4 connectors one week ago and the problem came back again. I replaced my D-11 4 months ago and it was working fine until 2 weeks ago. Any suggestions?

lincoln3.
Try unplug your receivers and do a voltage test between the cable and the ground bond. If you are getting anything there you got a problem.

There could be a defective connection in your house electric.

Is there any chance you are still hooked up to a CATV system(cable company)?

Try a voltage test from the center wire to the outside of the fitting......if there is a short and the meter spikes there is a cut in the cable (or a staple or nail).

Try looking into all fittings in use....if there is even a single piece of the fine wire used for the outside of the coax you will get a short. Removing the thread fixes it.

Your amp idea would mean an antenna system somewhere...look in the attic.....if you find one there may also be a splitter that has to come out of the DTV system.

Keep looking,

Joe

There are two things here to consider.

If this a water intrusion issue, then you need to keep the water out. Did you use twist on connectors, or professional exterior connectors? Twist on will work in a pinch, but are not a long term solution. Water tight connectors sealed with rubber boots or water proofing tape is standard for professional installers.
If you can install the ground block in a box that would be the best.

As far as over voltage, that would not cause the center conductor to break. The center conductor does not break when exposed to water, it corrodes away. Usually it takes months to disintegrate, but you loose picture long before that.

If you do have some weird ground fault issue, the best thing to do is unplug your receiver and test the outlet for proper wiring. You can buy a tester for a couple bucks. If you find the outlet NOT wired correctly, remove the ground wire from your ground block and call an electrician. A satellite system cannot be grounded safely if the outlet powering the receiver is not wired correct.

There is no amp or power inserter used for satellite or off-air that can cause a cable to break. Coax is rated for 60 volts, however, any water intrusion will cause problems.

drip drop will take care of this issue as well as using f-connectors that have o-rings inside...

Of all the water intrusion cures my my favs are drop boxes and putting the multi switch or ground block inside the crawl space , basement or garage.

Everything else is some kind of compromise. (Seems to me)

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts