Guide Constantly Says Regular Schedule

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Skip it Tex, you already posted this info on the first page, I just didn't go back that far, seeing how old this is ...
Yes, I covered it. The receiver can't see 99/101 and 103/119 at the same time...
That's also why any system using non-SWM LNBs can have the problem if it's a slimline 5 and you can't get decent signal on 119....

Yes, I covered it. The receiver can't see 99/101 and 103/119 at the same time...
That's also why any system using non-SWM LNBs can have the problem if it's a slimline 5 and you can't get decent signal on 119....
Seeing they KNEW they would be using the 103 and potentially getting away from the 119, why didn't they put the guide data on the 103 instead, this way they would have been covered if you can't see the 119.

Seeing they KNEW they would be using the 103 and potentially getting away from the 119, why didn't they put the guide data on the 103 instead, this way they would have been covered if you can't see the 119.
Guide data was already on 119, has been for over a decade for phase 2 and 3 dish's.

119 came along a long time before 103. If you tuned to a 119 channel, you needed the guide data, because your receiver could not see 119 and 101 at the same time. So the guide data on 119 was there long before 103 arrived. If they had moved it to 103, people with Phase III oval SD dishes would have lost guide data when they tuned to a 119 channel because their dish did not receive 103.
It's a consequence of the state of the technology when DirecTv originally launched satellites in multiple locations. They could later have developed the SL5 non-SWM LNBs to take the guide data from only 101 like the SL3 did but I guess no-one thought it would be an issue - does not affect very many people and the SWM system solved the problem anyway..

Reactions: satgirl51
119 came along a long time before 103. If you tuned to a 119 channel, you needed the guide data, because your receiver could not see 119 and 101 at the same time. So the guide data on 119 was there long before 103 arrived. If they had moved it to 103, people with Phase III oval SD dishes would have lost guide data when they tuned to a 119 channel because their dish did not receive 103.
It's a consequence of the state of the technology when DirecTv originally launched satellites in multiple locations. They could later have developed the SL5 non-SWM LNBs to take the guide data from only 101 like the SL3 did but I guess no-one thought it would be an issue - does not affect very many people and the SWM system solved the problem anyway..
You'd think they would do some FORWARD thinking when they design these things.
What will we be looking at in a few years ?
Will SWM still be the way they go or will something else take it's place and the rest be phased out .... these engineers have to be figuring this stuff out Now, ahead of time, this way they save money.

Look at all the different dishes we've gone thru in the last say 10 years, just to keep up.

When they designed the first multisat systems, they really did not know how many satellites they would end up with, or how they would handle stack plan for multiple satellites if they ended up with more. The whole 13v/18v and 22KHz tone system looks foolish today but it was a practical way to solve a difficult problem; there wasn't enough bandwidth on a single cable to accommodate all the channels.. No-one thought putting the guide data with the 119 signals was an issue; again, it solved a difficult problem. When 103 came along, no-one thought having the guide data on 119 was an issue and indeed for most people it wasn't. But for people who wanted HD (which was only on 103 at the start) but did not have line of sight to 119, it caused problems. Even then there were workarounds - on a receiver, autotuning to a 101 channel during the night made sure the guide was refreshed every day. With a DVR, setting to record two 101 channels at the same time just for a few minutes every night solved the problem also. And when the SWM system came along, since the guide is on its own dedicated channel to the receivers they just took it from 101 regardless of the satellite you were watching.
I guess some form of SWM will be around for a while, but who really knows? The arrival of RDBS on DirecTV 14 and 15 will cause some changes, we'll probably all need new LNBs. What's beyond that.........

Yes, but it's all the same bandwidth.

Just because it's the same doesn't mean it doesn't take up bandwidth.

If me and my husband drive to the same store in separate cars we burn twice the gas, even though we are going the same place, so why not just ride together. :) Like us directv is just being efficient with there bandwidth like I am with my gas.

Just because it's the same doesn't mean it doesn't take up bandwidth.

If me and my husband drive to the same store in separate cars we burn twice the gas, even though we are going the same place, so why not just ride together. :) Like us directv is just being efficient with there bandwidth like I am with my gas.
Then how are they wasting bandwidth ?

They have x amount of bandwidth regardless of where they allot it to.
The amount of bandwidth is not gonna change, it's still the same amount, just distributed differently, instead of it being on 1 Sat it's on multiple Sats, but they are still using the same amount regardless.

Then how are they wasting bandwidth ?

They have x amount of bandwidth regardless of where they allot it to.
The amount of bandwidth is not gonna change, it's still the same amount, just distributed differently, instead of it being on 1 Sat it's on multiple Sats, but they are still using the same amount regardless.

Sorry but what your saying isn't true.

If the 103 sat broadcast HBO and they duplicate that same broadcast on 99 sat they just wasted bandwidth, one of either sat could had carried another channel in its place. Dish for example is wasting heaps of bandwidth by broadcasting on 2 separate arc's.

If your talking about bandwidth down the actual coax, well that's not really a problem.

Wow this thread answered something that totally had me baffled for almost a year. I moved to a new place that couldn't see 119* -- I had a SL5 and brought it with; I did get 110, but not 119. Locals here are on 101, but a couple times a week I'd see nag screens of "unable to acquire guide data" and it drove me nuts -- I also tried switching the receiver to SL3 since I figured it had to do with something not being seen from 119* (I figured it was just the guide data for the Spanish channels I don't subscribe to and keep hidden)... So I finally replaced the LNB, and with a SL3 -- and the problem went away... but this thread just explained why :) I kept racking my brain because I thought all the guide data came off 101, even for the other sats...

Well, all the guide data DOES come off 101, the 119 guide data is a duplicate.

Sorry but what your saying isn't true.

If the 103 sat broadcast HBO and they duplicate that same broadcast on 99 sat they just wasted bandwidth, one of either sat could had carried another channel in its place. Dish for example is wasting heaps of bandwidth by broadcasting on 2 separate arc's.

If your talking about bandwidth down the actual coax, well that's not really a problem.
You are correct.

Reactions: satgirl51
Well, all the guide data DOES come off 101, the 119 guide data is a duplicate.
Thank you.

Its still the same bandwidth how it's delegated is up to them.

When the NFL games are duplicated from the NFL Network and another channel at the same time, it's not using more bandwidth, it's just being moved.

When HBO was on more than one channel back in the days (not meaning the block of channels, but the programming itself... think it was in like the 80-90 as well as the 500's) thats not using more bandwidth, its just being replicated to a different location.

Yes, but I seem to remember the remapping was done in your receiver, that's different from sending the same data on two different satellites which would use twice the bandwidth

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)