Guide starting to burn-in on my HDTV, any fix?

Perhaps it is not called burn in, but I have seen this on several lower end LCD tvs in the past. Many that kept working for a long time after they developed this problem

Suprised to see it on an LG however.
Yep, we had a lower end LCD at work that lived on Fox Business last year. The graphics definitely burnt-in (or whatever you want to call it if it's not burn in). It still works by the way.

BTW, the older tube TV's do one obvious thing better than any HDTV (front projection, rear projection, CRT, plasma, LCD, etc.) out there--display SD content. Sorry, but those old tube TV's blow away every plasma and LCD out there when it comes to displaying SD content. (They do for black levels and viewing angles, too. But that's another discussion.)

I'm sorry, but I can't let this statement go unchallenged. On black levels, I agree. But aside from black levels, there is no reason an HD set with GOOD signal processing can't beat a CRT when displaying SD content. I have yet to see a CRT that can beat my Sony Wega for SD content. The huge scan lines make 30" plus CRT's unwatchable. Can you say Jaggies! There is also a lot of over-compressed SD content out there that have people thinking there HD sets don't handle SD well. It does seem that a lot of cheaper sets are skimping in signal processing these days, but you can't say old tube tv's blow away ALL plasma and LCD's. Just ain't true.

Matt's Big-Screen HDTV Buyer's Guide said:
Image Persistence: Phenomenon exclusive to LCDs, image persistence is similar to burn-in, but not permanent. If an image is left static on a screen the result is a constant voltage being delivered to an isolated group of LCD crystals leading to a tendancy for them to allow a constant amount of light through despite subsequent varying voltages. This leaves a "shadow" of that image on the screen. The "shadow" will remain until the crystals are allowed to "relax" or reset. The best way to reset the crystals is to turn off the monitor for 20-30 minutes.

Source: Matt's Big-Screen HDTV Buyer's Guide from MattHilton.net :D

Since I paid $1,100 for my 57 inch Hitachi HD RP-CRT, I would never consider a 42 inch HDTV for $1,000 a good buy.

Yep, we had a lower end LCD at work that lived on Fox Business last year. The graphics definitely burnt-in (or whatever you want to call it if it's not burn in). It still works by the way.

An LCD should not have any type of burn in (slow pixels is another issue). If an LCD had burn in then I have many computer screens that are worthless for playing games because my start bar would always be showing while playing a full screen game (which it doesn't).

As far as life expectancy for an HDTV goes, they are rated in hours, not years. The average flat panel is rated anywhere from 30k to 60k hours. If you leave them on NON STOP you will see it fail in 4 to 7 years. Lets say you only watch it 12 hours a day, it is off the other 12, just shot up to 8 to 14 years... Lets do one more, 6 hours a day average (this is closer to what I watch mine. I may average less) we are now looking at 16 to 28 years of flat panel. Not to shabby if you ask me.

Someone mentions half life of a flat screen. As far as I know this only applies to a plasma TV, not an LCD. What this means is half way through it's life (15k - 30k worth of hours) your shiny new plasma is now half as bright as the day that you bought it. Congratz ;)

Now that I have said my peace, discuss...

It's called image persistence and LCDs can have it bad where pixels get stuck open or closed and you have to run a pixel fixer app on the screen to unstick them. Supposedly removing power to the crystals will allow them to relax but you have to unplug overnite to do that. The organic nature fo the LCD crystals also means that your display is going to fade, usually in 3 to 5 years. I've supported pcs for two decades now and have seen plenty of older generation and cheap LCD monitors go bad - sometimes in as little as two years.

As for the rated life in hours, that's for the panel under the quoted usage guidelines - typically less than 6 hours a day in some cases. The electronics and power supply are NOT rated for those same hours and can fail in 18 months to 3 years on average. Then, if you are not electronically minded or have an extended warranty, you repair will run $600 to $1200 and in some cases, SONY, even more.

That's why when it came time to look at HDTV in my house, I bought an HD Home Theater Projector instead of some dinky panel. Now I have an 8 FOOT screen and didn't spend thousands to get it.

100_0533.jpg

100_0534.jpg

100_0542.jpg

No... most TV's purchased during the pre-HD era in that time (like 1985-2000) were $100-400. Yeah, some people had huge rear projection 4:3 SD sets. Some even had those huge front projection sets with the red green and blue lights projecting onto a screen. However, most folks bought 19-27" tubes. 30" or above were considered huge. I had a 19" Symphonic last for 20 plus years. I had a 13" Sanyo break after 2 years during the 1980's. My 27" Panasonic is nearly 10 years old and still kicking.

You shouldn't generalize, I purchased a top of the line 36" Toshiba CRT(non-projection) TV in 1999, it cost $2200. The picture quality was awesome for a tube tv. It was still going strong when I replaced it in 2008 with my Sony KDS-60A3000 sxrd television. I did not consider 36" huge in 1999-2000, I really liked the larger CRT-RPTV's but did not have the room for it at the time.

I bought a KV-32XBR200 in 1999 and it was $1841 or there about. It's still going strong. I just heard someone at work mention the "app" for fixing LCD retention. I don't have any problems...yet. ;) Anywho, I hope the OP is able to find a solution. Has anyone else heard of this LCD app? Take care everyone.

I currently have a Sony 40" LCD Bravia and a Pio PDP-5020 and the 32XBR200. The LCD is now in the guest room and doesn't get used much. The 32 gets used about 4 hours a month.

Remember: DON'T BE A BONEHEAD! :D :D

I have heard LCD burn in referred to as "Image Ghosting" and I have had LCD monitors at work burn in Outlook or the IM client on some users screen and the way I fix it is to display a solid white image for 6 hours or over night. That clears it right up. Sometimes I have to do that more than once to really clear it up.

In our family room we still use the largest HD CRT TV previously sold in the US: Loewe Aconda 38". Am "afraid" it works so well and will last so damn long that I will not be able to justify a replacement. Only excuse to scrap it would be if Dish were to no longer support component video at 1080i, since the Loewe does not do HDMI, nor does it support 720p. When this puppy was new, its list price was $5500. The five LCD HDTVs we also have did not cost that much in total! Everything keeps changing.

I've heard similar stories about HDTV. Most claim the average life of any HDTV is about 5 years.

Its called engineered (sometimes called Planned) obscelesence, I prefer the word engineered because its really what it is, makeing it last long enough to be considered a quality product but not long enough for it to last forever, making you buy another one and even if they were still selling you the rptv's it would be the same, they cant make them last forever or you wont buy a new one and this would cost them to much money. It is what it is, some will tell you the more you spend the longer it may last and in alot of cases this is true, but the same holds true on the lower end, the major portion will not last as long but some will, which is why you may find some people that say a dawoo is a great product but the majority will tell you its crap, most of the companies out there have what is considered there high end products and they also sell lower end products, the difference "normally" is not just the price.:rant: