H20/AT-9 w/o contract

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dervari

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
Atlanta, GA
A friend wants to get HD but doesn't want the 2 year contract. If he buys an H20 and AT-9 from VE and doesn't send in the rebate, will DTV activate it without a contract?

dervari said:
You're out the $$$ for the H20 and AT-9. :)

If they tell you you need a 2 year contract, tell them you don't want it then ....
Your not out anything for asking.

Personally I think D* makes those rules not the retailor

Jimbo

He called DTV today and was told that regardless of the equipment (buy or lease) he is comitted to a 2 year contract for HD. I don't see why they do that, since they aren't giving concessions on the equipment if he buys it outright from a third party.

Personally I have no problem with a 2 year contract since we've been with them for 10 years, but this guy is the same guy who pays an extra $10/mo on his cell bill so he's not locked into a contract.

D* offeres the sevice and can put any rules they want on it. If you are buying the equipment then I would hope you would keep the service.

One would think so. This guy just hates being locked into a contract. He's had D* for 5 years, so I don't see what his big aversion is.

He can buy it and not have a contract he just can't receive programming on it. It won't even work as an OTA tuner without activation and Directv controls the activation & the contract requirement. Also as of 3/1/06 he is leasing the equipment so he won't actually own it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts