Please reply by conversation.

kjlued

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 30, 2010
In your head
This is an email received from D*

"In March, the H25 will be released
. It is very different from anything we have ever used. It will only function with a SWiM system. Is about the size of a VHS tape. H25 will not have RF remote antenna built in and will come with an IR remote. If customer wants RF capability, there will be a kit they buy that contains a RF remote and separate adapter for RF capability. Connection with component cables requires a special adapter cable as well. The power supply is external and resembles a laptop power supply. Going forward this type power supply will be utilized for other equipment."

Sounds like it will be a little limited compared to the H24 but over all, with its size pretty cool.
Wonder what the DVR counter part will be like.

Sorry if this has been discussed, I just have not seen anything.

hmmmmm.....the size will be good for kitchens and bathrooms if you don't want to mirror programming, might get one! Post a pic when you get one!

Sounds like for the MRV solution this is going to be very similar to a thin client, Just a dumb terminal that is connected to a host to provide the basic services.

Sounds like for the MRV solution this is going to be very similar to a thin client, Just a dumb terminal that is connected to a host to provide the basic services.

Well, I doubt it will be "thin", but "thinner" so to speak. I would be willing to bet it will still be a fully functional receiver, (complete with it's own tuner) but that they are just stripping off parts that are NOT needed for most, new installs. Matter of fact, they did not say anything about it NOT having a composite A/V out, (only NO component) but if it does, it might be the start of D* using ONE common basic receiver on BOTH SD & HD installs. (would replace both the D & H series receivers) Considering E* stopped putting in new SD non-DVR receivers some time ago, it WOULD make sense that D* would FINALLY follow suit.

Since the majority of new installs ARE SWM, no need to make it "legacy" compatible, so some $$$ savings there.

RF remote is NOT used by most folks, so again, more $$$ savings on NOT including the RF remote itself, as well as the internal circuitry, except for those that REALLY want it. DISH went to this same thing a few years ago when they came out with their 301/311 SD basic receivers, as they then quit making SD non-DVR receivers w/the RF remote built in. I'm curious as to what the "kit" looks like, & if it could be used on other models, since the RF built into these receivers is NOT the best? (I'm suspecting it WON'T)

All HDTV's made within the past few years have HDMI, so again, save $$$ there on NOT putting comp outs on, again except for the very few that might need it, as an add-on.

External power supply - most newly made cable boxes use them as well, so no surprise there. Less heat build-up in that tiny cabinet from having the PS built-in, as well as it can be easily replaced.

It basically sounds like the equivalent of the new HD boxes/remote DVR clients that some cable co have started using.
Comcast here stated using the Pace RNG110's, which have a lot of the same attributes this new D* receiver does.

Last edited:
Some good points.
I have wondered for a while why we don't go with a standardized receiver for many reasons including eventually making MRV truly Whole-home.

Also, yeah they stripped off a bunch of stuff I am sure to save money and the smaller size is just a bonus.

I actually think though the external power supply will be a headache in kitchen situations.
I mean most people these days set the receiver on the counter with the TV. Obviously the small receiver will be too small to put a TV on it and the power supply will just be a 3rd item sitting there. But we will see what it looks like, maybe it wont be that bad especially if it is contained in the plug.

what will the H25 look like?
i thought the H24 just came out!!!!

They did

This is a little faster then normal for a new receiver model.
But I think they are getting ready for some big changes that have been in the works for quite some time.
For instance, MRV was planned since day 1 of SWM which was in the plans since the HR20.
Now, everything is finally falling in to play and I expect a lot of exciting changes with satellite (especially DTV) in the near future.

SWiM only for a 1 tuner box?

They will still need non Swim boxes for lots of places.

Will also work with the new Full home drv box?

What will happen if you have old H2X box in a non swim and need a swap and get this box?

Will people with older boxes get the RF kit free with a swap?

SWiM only for a 1 tuner box?

They will still need non Swim boxes for lots of places.

Will also work with the new Full home drv box?

What will happen if you have old H2X box in a non swim and need a swap and get this box?

Will people with older boxes get the RF kit free with a swap?

SWM is the future and I suspect we will see many more SWM only receivers.
Now does this mean they won't make legacy compatible receivers? Not for now. Also do not forget about all the refurbs.

Yes, it will work with MRV.

If an h20 goes bad on a legacy system, we still have h24's along with tons of refurbs.

I doubt the RF kit will ever be free (at least not with a lot of kicking and screaming) however the instances of people with RF set ups especially on non DVR boxes is slim.
Especially considering that the only receivers that ever come with RF remotes are HD/DVR's
So, I suppose that will be taken up on a 1 and 1 basis.

Limited number of outputs already a disadvantage with H24. Still lots of TVs out there in use that will require RCA and RF mods. CSRs will have to qualify customers for them...no HDMI input on TV-No Go.

Limited number of outputs already a disadvantage with H24. Still lots of TVs out there in use that will require RCA and RF mods. CSRs will have to qualify customers for them...no HDMI input on TV-No Go.

Why? The H24 is an HD box. It really only needs HD outputs, or maybe one composite video output to mirror programming on an SD TV. HD is mainstream now.....every TV sold today has HDMI inputs..

In this MPEG4 market customers get HD receivers (almost exclusively h24s). We install no std rec. MANY do not purchase HD access because they have no HD TVs. Done installs that of 4 TVs hooked up you had to use RF mods on 3 of them. Can't very well expect folks to go buy 3 or 4 new TVs just to get DTV. Then there are those TVs that initially you are pleased to see a set of RCA inputs-upon closer inspection the video jack has a Tootsie Pop stick broken off in it. H25s will not be for my "average" customer. One HD tv and 3 clunkers. Welcome to my world.

According to what is written they only removed the composite, not the A/V (aka RCA) outs.
RF modulator will still work and there will be an adapter kit if a customer needs components.

So yes, there are all the same options as an HR24, you just need an adapter if you need component (which is almost never).

In this MPEG4 market customers get HD receivers (almost exclusively h24s). We install no std rec. MANY do not purchase HD access because they have no HD TVs. Done installs that of 4 TVs hooked up you had to use RF mods on 3 of them. Can't very well expect folks to go buy 3 or 4 new TVs just to get DTV. Then there are those TVs that initially you are pleased to see a set of RCA inputs-upon closer inspection the video jack has a Tootsie Pop stick broken off in it. H25s will not be for my "average" customer. One HD tv and 3 clunkers. Welcome to my world.

Again, it will work anywhere an H24 works so your world won't change other then having to use a component adapter of by the off chance you get an older HD TV that does not have HDMI.
As we all know, that is rare.

I think what they are planning on doing is build a cheaper receiver for mpeg markets and make a 100% true whole-home DVR without the expense of putting HR24's in every room.
I think this receiver at first will solely be used for MRV and MPEG markets eventually turning in to the replacement for the D12. Don't know, just guessing.

Why? The H24 is an HD box. It really only needs HD outputs, or maybe one composite video output to mirror programming on an SD TV. HD is mainstream now.....every TV sold today has HDMI inputs..

Component should continue to be there .... jmo.
How often have we talked about bad HDMI connections.

If everything is going HD, no need for Composite then, get rid of them then.
HD is delivered with HDMI and Component, nothing else at this time.

According to what is written they only removed the [strike]composite,[/strike] component, not the composite A/V (aka RCA) outs.

Fixed it for you; you REALLY should correct your post, so there is no more confusion & misinformation than already exists on this topic.

Component should continue to be there .... jmo.
How often have we talked about bad HDMI connections.

May be, but the prob is, programmers ARE going to start INSISTING that their offerings can ONLY be sent via a (protected) HDMI connection. It's already starting to happen on Blu-Ray, and I see it starting to happen on things such a PPV & Premium channels. (any of these signals sent via Component will either be automatically downconverted to 480p, or totally disabled altogether)
With this in mind, component WILL be disappearing more & more from BOTH DBS & Cable HD boxes going forward. There really is not that many HDTV's out there with component only inputs out there now, but if there ARE, too bad, so sad; they'll have to suck it up & upgrade. Even the HD DTA's that the cable co. are talking about, will ONLY have an HDMI out, so as to save (back panel) space & cut manufacturing costs.

And as far as "bad HDMI connections" - that has pretty much disappeared on all modern TV's. MOST of these type issues happen because of things like looping HDMI thru an A/V receiver before the TV, or a bad HDMI cable. And again, there WILL be the kit for those pretty rare "one-off" issues, but really, this move WILL save D* $$$, AND it reduces the back panel area for those 3 component outs, so they CAN make the receiver (this) small.

If everything is going HD, no need for Composite then, get rid of them then.

But NOT everyone IS going to have an HD set, hence the VERY need still for composite, at least for the next decade. Even cable is NOT planning on going HD only - THAT'S why Comcast & other cable co are using those DTA's, due to the LARGE numbers of SD sets still out there. Keeping the composite out does NOT add THAT much $$$ to the cost of the HD box & keeps it compatible with ALL those legacy sets out there. (& before you mention it, there are WAY, WAY more SD only sets still out there, than there are component only HDTV's... ) As I already told you, this box WILL probably replace BOTH the D series SD only boxes AND the H series HD boxes, so again that's why there will be the composite out.

Last edited:
Fixed it for you; you REALLY should correct your post, so there is no more confusion & misinformation than already exists on this topic.

My bad, sometimes you get to typing real fast and things come out wrong.

But I can always rely on the correction police to fix any errors.

But I can always rely on the correction police to fix any errors.

Well so you don't take it the wrong way, when I said "confusion & misinformation", I was NOT particularly pointing fingers at you - just how this entire topic has kinda drifted from how you started it. Especially considering that, NONE of us really know how this (new) final product is going to look; it's pretty much speculation until it hits the streets.

And, thank you for your original post on it - it's nice to at least get some sort of "sneak preview" BEFORE it winds up in a customer's (AND installer's) lap. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)