Hard drive recovery?

swampman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
South Louisiana
I had my HD crash about 6 years ago, and at that time, the techs that diagnosed my dead PC, said that it would be EXTREMELY expensive to recover everything on it. And they weren't even sure who could do it. I still have that old hard drive, and I'm curious with technology advancements, wether it has become easier to retreive this "imprisoned" data. Any ideas?

It depends on just how it crashed, and how badly you need the data back. If it has to be sent out, you can typically expect at least $2000 or more to get your data. Sometimes it even involves opening the drive in a clean room, and mounting the platters on a machine that can try to read them.

I've had drives crash, and personally, I don't have a lot of sympathy for people that don't run backups and then lose their data. There's just no excuses when it comes to drive crashes. They are going to happen, the only question is "when?"

If your data is that important, you MUST run multiple backups and keep them safe. There's just no other way to do it. I'm not picking on you specifically by the way, just putting this out there for hopefully waking up a few people that don't even think about this, when they should.

Reactions: fred555
IIRC, about five years ago it cost us about $2,000 to recover a disk that had data since last backup. This included a new, larger HDD with the recovered data. They got almost all of it.

Since then, I use RAID at home as well as work.

Reactions: fred555
Actually, you can ask Hillary about what she uses to recover data. Or was that erase data.......
;)

Anything new in the future will be RAID. The evidence is overwhelming not to.

Depends on how it crashed. Sometimes the bearing on the motor seizes up, the heads can actually break and crash into the platters [worse kind of crash] or something burn up on the circuit board, tons of different things.

Sometimes, if it's a seized bearing or dried-out bearing, which is very common, if you wrap the drive up tight in a zip-lock bag and put it in a freezer for a few days, then take it out and hook it up in a computer, it'll start and you can get your info off of it. With a seized bearing, the drive will usually just make a 'click' click' sound. A sharp smack on top of it with the palm of your hand while it's hooked to a computer and the drive's first trying to initialize will do it too sometimes, with a bad bearing, but you risk knocking a head into a platter doing that. If you do this, get all your data off it right away and don't shut it down until you do, it may not startup again!

A bad circuit board can be swapped for a good one, but the donor drive for the board has to be the exact same type/size drive, most times the drive's firmware needs to be dumped and flashed to the new board too, the same goes for swapping platters from one drive to another and it should be done in a clean room environment, but it can be done elsewhere if you're careful and don't intend to use the drive after you've recovered your data. I wouldn't recommend doing that unless you play around with a lot of junk drives and get a idea of what it involves, it's real easy to get your fingers [thus grease, other contaminants, etc] onto the platters or scratch a head across one of the platters and ruin it. If it needs to be sent out to a clean room, it will be expensive.

Seeing as how the tech told you they didn't even know who/how it could be recovered, I wouldn't put much faith into their diagnosis of it, it may not even be crashed, maybe it's just a software issue like the FAT is screwed, the OS took a dump, or something that was beyond their capabilities, or that they just didn't want to be bothered with fixing. It's a lot easier just to throw in a new drive and clean OS install and call it a day, rather than muck through someone's drive with who knows what on it, or try to fix something they have no idea of what the problem is, way too many computer "techs" do this.

Does the drive still spin up when it's installed in a computer or is it dead, dead? Does it click, does it smell burnt, what OS was installed on it? What model/brand drive is it? What model/brand computer was it installed in when it failed? Did you try it as a slave/second drive in another computer with the same OS to see if it could be read at all? It's been a long time since I've done any drive recovery work, but there use to be some decent and easy to use recovery software available for a few hundred dollars, many had trials that would let you try and see if it could recover anything and list what was recoverable, so you didn't have to blow your money for nothing, if the drive still spins up. It's been too long for me to recommend anything, a good fifteen or so years, but I imagine software is out there still.

like others have said...anything important, back it up and then back it up again somewhere else, and keep backing it up! :)

I used to shake them. That usually freed up a stuck bearing and we could recover data. After that, the drive was erased, if possible, and sent out to a recycler.

Reactions: . Raine
An afterthought on crashed drives...if you can't recover it and don't want anyone else getting the data off of it, drill nine 1/2" holes [for 3.5" drives, 3/8" for 2.5 or smaller] evenly spaced in a circle through all the platters in the drive, in the middle of the platters. When I worked with this stuff, that's what we had to do for high security stuff before it was recycled, that was the only way to be sure the data couldn't be recovered.

If you just drill a ton of holes all through the platters everywhere, that will work. We'd lock the drives in a press, remove the top cover and drill away.

I simply take a mallet and smash it up really good. Of course I do not have top secret information. I figured that when the drive was encrypted with bitlocker anyways combined with the smashing, no one was going to get the data off of there anyways. Every computer I use for my business has bitlocker encryption enabled. It is really to just protect my employee's payroll information.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)