Harry Potter

Hard to take an article - or blog - seriously when they can't get the basic facts straight:

Well, with Order of the Phoenix, Warner has pulled out the stops and has pitted interactivity vs HD supplemental video, because while the HD DVD version includes Warner's IME and web content, the Blu-ray version includes HD supplements and a 44 minute high-def TV special called, The Hidden Secrets of Harry Potter -- that was left out of the HD DVD version completely. The other big difference enabled by Blu-ray's additional capacity is an extensive list of foreign language surround sound tracks and sub-titles -- at the same time the HD DVD is a combo disc without the $10 premium. So dual format owners will have to choose between interactivity and HD supplements -- or maybe they'll just choose to save $5 and go with the Blu-ray version.

Both the BD and HD DVD versions have a MSRP of $35.99, and both are priced at $24.95 at Amazon.

As for the differences of getting the 44 minute HD TV featurette and other extras in HD vs. interactive PiP (IME) and web-enabled features (Online Live Community Screening & Share Your Favorite Scenes), I'm a sucker for gimmick of web interactivity; the Favorite Scenes sharing was pretty cool on 300. HighDefDigest gave the HD DVD 4 1/2 stars overall, based on the HD extras, while giving the BD only 4 stars. BTW, the gave both 5 stars for video & 5 stars for the audio, saying "any audible differences are so marginal it's a wash" between the TrueHD on the HD DVD and PCM on the BD.

But, I get to save some money next week - no fan of Harry Potter here; I've tried a couple of times to watch them on HBO HD and never made more than 20 minutes, just too silly for me. Just Bourne Ultimatum (actually the Amazon Trilogy pack) HD DVD next week for me.

I think that Warner produced a great product for both formats. They provided some cool internet features for the HD-DVD crowd and they provided all of the extras in HD (except for the tv show that is only on BD) on BluRay. Warner played to the strengths of both formats and this can only be a win/win for Warner. They continue to outrun their competitors for our HD movie dollars!

I dunno, I just can't get into the series. I picked up the first on one DVD when it came out & watched it once and it did nothing for me.

Both formats sound great. The interactive stuff could be fun once or twice, just like the extras. Maybe if I end up with some gift cards, I'll pick it up after Christmas.

Maybe I need to read the books first....

I forsee a 3-2 win for Blu.

Itll be bigger than that. The PS3 crowd will be interested too.

I for one have no interest in web interactive(not a shot at HDDVD, I just really dont care). All these titles that were held up for flashy bs really pissed me off.

Im actually going the opposite way of a home network. I have nothing but laptops now running verizon evdo cards.

This is huge, I think most will go for the extra content than interactivity feature.
I am going for the extra content :)

Last edited:
I ended up with the UK version, so I'll take the best of both worlds. Looks like US got the shaft..... Again.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts