have your own satlist

caseyman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Apr 16, 2010
east coast
here is how i fixed satlist edit problem.
first, get a satellite.xml template with your favorite sats.
edit a template in XML EDITOR ( i use foxe, notepad++ should work as well ) - rename sats, add/delete TPs, etc...
! DONT USE MAZ OR AZBOXEDIT FOR THAT !
create *.dat files with AZboxedit
using telnet make DISK1 writable:

mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/hda1 /DISK1

find DVBS.dat file in /DISK1/DISK2_backup and replace it with just created DVBS.dat file via FTP or telnet.
also, FTP newly created files to DISK2. REBOOT with the switch on the back.
now scan sats for channels, etc...etc... the huge eurocrapsat list is GONE!
hope this helps

azbox elite f/w 3877

edit a template in XML EDITOR ( i use foxe, notepad++ should work as well ) - rename sats, add/delete TPs, etc...

find DVBS.dat file in /DISK1/DISK2_backup and replace it with just created DVBS.dat file via FTP or telnet.
hope this helps

azbox elite f/w 3877

satellites.xml generator / transponder .ini generator

This will create a satellites.xml file or satellites.ini file for you, no need to edit it other than the edits necessary to use for AZBox...It's what I use on my Dreamboxes and it's a nice template. You can pick exactly what satellites you need or pick all of them. The website has many different selections you can choose from...Takes a lot of template work out of the mix and makes things much easier....

hope this helps

azbox elite f/w 3877

Casey,

Nicely put together, I will give it a try!

Thanks

RADAR

Not to sound like I am knocking AZbox

Guys not to sound as if I am knocking AzBox but dang that's a lot of hassles just to load a satellites.xml file into var. If I am correct in assuming the box is linux.

To load it on a Dreambox all you do is go to the link I posted, then pick your sats out, download your xml file to desktop, Use DBEdit and basically load it on your Dreambox. It automatically places it in the correct folder in this fashion. You can FTP into the box and load it that way also but wow that's a lot of stuff to just load a new file... I thought a Dreambox was a pain in the rears that really must bite...Totally awesome you figured it out thats sweet! Good Job!

:)

Last edited:

hope this helps

azbox elite f/w 3877
Excellent Job, caseyman!:up:cool:

Guys not to sound as if I am knocking AzBox but dang that's a lot of hassles just to load a satellites.xml file into var. If I am correct in assuming the box is linux.

To load it on a Dreambox all you do is go to the link I posted, then pick your sats out, download your xml file to desktop, Use DBEdit and basically load it on your Dreambox. It automatically places it in the correct folder in this fashion. You can FTP into the box and load it that way also but wow that's a lot of stuff to just load a new file... I thought a Dreambox was a pain in the rears that really must bite...Totally awesome you figured it out thats sweet! Good Job!

:)

That is what I use ot do when there were very few Western sats in the azbox. The link you posted is what I've used and it works really slick

Dumb question, I'm sure: Would it make sense for us to post and share our satlists?

it's not a satlist issue, it's how to make it

I think that it WOULD help some people if a basic satlist would be posted. That way, people with old corrupted sat lists who are having problems might be able to get to a basic list without all the European/Asian sats.

The problem, however is that if you don't make the backup directory RW and replace the backup sat list too, then, if the Azbox detects any inconsistency between your satlist and the channel/transponder data, then it seems like it will abort, and replace what you've just put in with the default list. Personally, I've been afraid to try replacing the default backup sat list, because I've been afraid that if there are still inconsistencies, that the box could go into a reboot cycle, and depending upon what is saved after doing a firmware upgrade, I wasn't positive how easy it would be to recover from this.

I HAVE found that if I have saved a good working set of the 3 *.dat files, that if I upload all three, effectively going back to a past working configuration, that then the Azbox will accept that, and allow you to insert the old working satlist. But putting just the satlist in by itself is less likely to work. This means, that if you have channels saved, that it may be that you can only insert someone else's satlist if you also insert the channel/transponder list that went with that list, thus losing your own channels.

There may not be a problem, if the small satlist has the satellites named exactly as they were when you saved the channels and transponders, however when I originally created my small satlist, I inadvertently changed the names of many of the sats, primarily because the default names of many of the sats were unnecessarily long. This meant that the channels/transponders I saved had names different from the default list.

Anyway, I think in the long run, depending upon what firmware version you have, that the best approach is to before saving any satellites or transponders, or after doing a reformat of application area followed by firmware update or reload, go to the trouble of deleting all those extra sats manually. It is laborious, but you can do it in an hour or two. Then, SAVE the 3 .dat files. Then, as you go forward and enter sat and transponder data, and scan in channels, make a habit of saving all 3 .dat files on a regular basis. That way, if you have any problems, and the receiver reverts to the old sat list, you can always go back to this saved working configuration, and you won't lose too much.

I originally used the .xml method to create my short list, but using that method is creating a blank slate with no channels. So whatever method you use to start out, you will risk losing your transponders and channels unless you save working .dat files.

The REAL solution for all these issues is for the Azbox people to come out with a working channel editor, but so far that is just wishful thinking. To date, after trying 2 versions of azboxedit and 3 versions of MAZ, none of them work very well. Some work partially with some firmware versions, but none will allow you to create a working sat/transponder list.

Nice job caseyman. This worked perfect. Followed every step you said. Was pulling my hair out over this one for a number of months.
Thanks. :up

I am sure everyone is aware of the problems associated with experimenting with someone elses files, so I won't go into that subject. That was just my disclaimer notice (use at your own risk).

I have a fair channel list saved here for my AZBox. If anyone wishes to experiment with it, they are welcome to do so. But, remember that I make no gaurantees on how your box will accept or reject these files. It is personally up to you if you want to play with them and take a risk just to find out or not.

I have actual scanned channels from most Ku band linear satellites starting at 30.0°W through 125.0°W. There are legitimate (scanned as FTA) channels from 30.0°W, 63.0°W, 72.0°W, 74.0°W, 79.0°W, 83.0°W, 85.0°W, 87.0°W, 89.0°W, 91.0°W, 93.1°W, 95.0°W, 97.0°W, 99.0°W, 101.0°W, 103.0°W, 105.0°W, 107.3°W, 113.0°W, 116.8°W, 121.0°W, 123.0°W and 125.0°W.

It (this list) may not be completely up to date for every satellite and a few channels may be feed channels which were once active, but are off air now, but most are the consistently broadcasted FTA channels.

The settings are for 41.6°N latitude / 96.4°W longitude, a standard linear LNBF (10.750 GHz L.O. frequency) and a 4X1 DiSEqC switch set to port #1. 30.0°W Hispasat was dialed in using DiSEqC 1.2 motor control and all others set using USALS. You will have to adjust these settings to match your personal requirements.

If you do play with these files, ensure that you upload your current files and save them to an external disc or USB drive for retrieval later. If you do not store these files on a separate and isolated drive or disc, you may lose them, so be careful. I always put mine on an external USB memory stick and remove it from the PC port until wanted.

RADAR

Attachments

• all_channel.zip
    45.3 KB · Views: 172
  • antenna_list.zip
    792 bytes · Views: 160
  • DVBS.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 163
Somewhat related to the above, with respect to saving and recovering data, has anyone here tried using the option in the setup screen that lets you backup your channel data to a USB thumb drive?
I had never noticed that they added this feature, but it was mentioned over at the Rick forum a couple days ago. I tried doing the backup thing, but didn't want to mess with the restore function, since everything's working currently. I was just curious first of all if this actually works yet, and secondly what is actually backed up? From the file size, it seems to be a compressed file that definatelly includes the all_channel.dat file, but I can't tell if the DVBS.dat and antenna_list.dat files are included too or not. If all three are included, this could be a more efficient way to exchange data files, but if only the all_channel file is there, then it's probably not safe to exchange that file, because the sat lists would be different.

Anyway, I'm curious whether it works, and what it backs up.

Somewhat related to the above, with respect to saving and recovering data, has anyone here tried using the option in the setup screen that lets you backup your channel data to a USB thumb drive?
I had never noticed that they added this feature, but it was mentioned over at the Rick forum a couple days ago. I tried doing the backup thing, but didn't want to mess with the restore function, since everything's working currently. I was just curious first of all if this actually works yet, and secondly what is actually backed up? From the file size, it seems to be a compressed file that definatelly includes the all_channel.dat file, but I can't tell if the DVBS.dat and antenna_list.dat files are included too or not. If all three are included, this could be a more efficient way to exchange data files, but if only the all_channel file is there, then it's probably not safe to exchange that file, because the sat lists would be different.

Anyway, I'm curious whether it works, and what it backs up.

B.J.

Unless they have made some alterations to it since it was first implemented, it is as you suspect. It backs up ONLY the all_channel.dat file and not the other two files. It is therefore rather useless.

I tried to use this backup feature to load a new AZBox receiver and it doesn't know where to install all the channels without the other files and none of the antenna settings are saved. Even if the list of satellites in the receiver becomes corrupt, this backup won't restore it since it loses the files regarding where to insert the channels (if the sat has changed or been omitted, the channels cannot be associated with it any longer and are therefore disregarded).

Using the three files saved or restored via FTP is the only method that truly works properly. (all_channels.dat, antenna_list.dat, DVBS.dat)

I did submit a bug report for this, but I haven't tested it with the more recent firmware revisions, so I don't know if it has been corrected or not.

RADAR

hope this helps

azbox elite f/w 3877
Last night, I modified my personal Satlist file** and followed the steps above. For the heck of it, I did "Format Application Area" on my Azbox and guess what? The dreaded default satellite that included all the European sats was gone!!!!:cool: The default Satlist in my backup folder now is the one that I put there using the steps by outlined by caseyman. Thanks caseyman!!!:up This was absolute JOY!!!!!!!:D

** = (Main Backup has Both C/KU Sats from 30.0°W to 129.0°W in /Disk1/Disk2_backup and Disk2 has satlist of only the sats that I need)

Last night, I modified my personal Satlist file** and followed the steps above. For the heck of it, I did "Format Application Area" on my Azbox and guess what? The dreaded default satellite that included all the European sats was gone!!!!:cool: The default Satlist in my backup folder now is the one that I put there using the steps by outlined by caseyman. Thanks caseyman!!!:up This was absolute JOY!!!!!!!:D

** = (Main Backup has Both C/KU Sats from 30.0°W to 129.0°W in /Disk1/Disk2_backup and Disk2 has satlist of only the sats that I need)

After you make DISK1 writable and replace DVBS.dat file, How do you make it unwritable?

Where do you put this xml file in the Azbox?

satellites.xml generator / transponder .ini generator

This will create a satellites.xml file or satellites.ini file for you, no need to edit it other than the edits necessary to use for AZBox...It's what I use on my Dreamboxes and it's a nice template. You can pick exactly what satellites you need or pick all of them. The website has many different selections you can choose from...Takes a lot of template work out of the mix and makes things much easier....

Okay I finally succeeded in Downloading just the West Satellites from 139.0W to 50.0W from that above transponder/generator list, and Downloaded it to my DeskTop. Its NOT even compressed. Now do I save it to my new SanDisk Cruser Micro USB Flash Drive and Load it onto my AZBox as my new or Backup sat file when I get delivery of my new Receiver next week?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)