HBO/Cinemax Takedown

It's fine. Most of the opinions have been opined. I can't think of anything else. But I will be curious, if this is resolved and HBO comes back what then? Or if the AT&T merger is nullified what then?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Exactly. Most every has said everything (and nearly anything) that needs to be said. And regurgitated it again for good measure. :D I too will be very curious to see if this ever is resolved, and if so, in what manner and what happens to all the parties involved (AT&T/HBO/Dish)...

Reactions: pattykay
Can't wait to see what happens when AT&T tries this with Comcast / Xfinity... "Yes, well, if you want HBO, you'll need to guarantee 20,000,000 HBO subscriptions..." "But we only have 22.5 million total subscribers!"

Reactions: TheKrell
Can't wait to see what happens when AT&T tries this with Comcast / Xfinity... "Yes, well, if you want HBO, you'll need to guarantee 20,000,000 HBO subscriptions..." "But we only have 22.5 million total subscribers!"

Yeah but Comcast owns several Regional sports networks and NBC universal. Plus Comcast is a much larger company than Dish. Also Comcast is an internet service provider to many AT&T Directv customers.

If Comcast needed HBO subscriptions, all they need to do is adjust the pricing on their internet only packages to force people to take it with limited basic cable. They have done it in the past.

The problem is Dish has no leverage against AT&T. Instead of Dish buying billions in Spectrum they will likely end up loosing, they should have been buying media companies themselves.

I honestly don’t think AT&T cares if HBO ever comes back on Dish. They made their offer to Dish, and either Charlie agrees to it or no more HBO for Dish customers.

But this is going to be an ongoing theme with Dish for the next several years, as contacts come for renewal and Dish won’t agree to the new terms. Channels are going to go dark and never come back.

What good is the Hopper and having 16 Tuners if all the good channels are no longer being carried by Dish.

I’m the meantime, I’m going to go watch my HBO that I didn’t really care for until a few weeks ago.

Yeah but Comcast owns several Regional sports networks and NBC universal. Plus Comcast is a much larger company than Dish. Also Comcast is an internet service provider to many AT&T Directv customers.

If Comcast needed HBO subscriptions, all they need to do is adjust the pricing on their internet only packages to force people to take it with limited basic cable. They have done it in the past.

The problem is Dish has no leverage against AT&T. Instead of Dish buying billions in Spectrum they will likely end up loosing, they should have been buying media companies themselves.

I honestly don’t think AT&T cares if HBO ever comes back on Dish. They made their offer to Dish, and either Charlie agrees to it or no more HBO for Dish customers.

But this is going to be an ongoing theme with Dish for the next several years, as contacts come for renewal and Dish won’t agree to the new terms. Channels are going to go dark and never come back.

What good is the Hopper and having 16 Tuners if all the good channels are no longer being carried by Dish.

I’m the meantime, I’m going to go watch my HBO that I didn’t really care for until a few weeks ago.

I see no upside here for Dish. Subscribers can get HBO other ways circumventing Dish and driving revenue directly to HBO. People like me are wondering why I'm paying $100+ a month to Dish when I can just stream shows I want to see. If this is how I am going to watch TV, I might as well go all in and cut the cord completely. Maybe this entire fiasco opened my eyes to streaming. Dish drove me to YouTube to find shows I want to watch.

I see no upside here for Dish. Subscribers can get HBO other ways circumventing Dish and driving revenue directly to HBO. People like me are wondering why I'm paying $100+ a month to Dish when I can just stream shows I want to see. If this is how I am going to watch TV, I might as well go all in and cut the cord completely. Maybe this entire fiasco opened my eyes to streaming. Dish drove me to YouTube to find shows I want to watch.

Your absolutely correct.

Too many people are going to streaming.

I find this whole thing amusing and I don’t even watch HBO.

I’m the meantime, I’m going to go watch my HBO...

So, you watch HBO or not? ;)

In any case, I can say having 5 tuners, like I did on DirecTV, was too few. 16 tuners may be overkill, but it solves the problem of conflicts pretty much permanently. If HBO isn't on Dish, meh. It hasn't been two weeks, and I am already over it. Looks like AT&T is going to ruin HBO like they ruined DirecTV, so whatever.

If I could get good OTA reception at my house, I wouldn't have gotten Dish when I moved last year. It is the best option available to me though. If OTTstreaming wasn't so limiting in certain ways, I would probably prefer that. My hope is it will get better, but I am not overly optimistic. I expect it to go down the same, stupid road as cable and satellite in the end. At least with Dish, I can get my locals and the handful of cable channels I want for a reasonable price, the hardware doesn't suck, and the software is better than average. I cannot say the same for the alternatives.

Even when I had HBO Now, it would sometimes be days before Real Time was available. Not often, but occasionally. Same thing with Amazon.
I just resubscribed to HBONow yesterday and the latest episode#34 of Bill Maher was on it. Still have HBO. Through Amazon on 7 day free-view and No episode 34 of the same show is available.

I just resubscribed to HBONow yesterday and the latest episode#34 of Bill Maher was on it. Still have HBO. Through Amazon on 7 day free-view and No episode 34 of the same show is available.
Ok. I was not saying it always happened on HBO Now or Amazon. Nor was I saying it happened for the same reason on both. I was just saying I had observed it on both services a different times, and only occasionally.

Reactions: MikeD-C05

It goes on YouTube for free a couple hours after it airs live, this Friday is the last show of the year anyway.

I still think Dish is shooting themselves in the foot with these long, drawn out negotiations that involve pulling down channels. I don't see where we're saving any money from them.

It goes on YouTube for free a couple hours after it airs live, this Friday is the last show of the year anyway.

I still think Dish is shooting themselves in the foot with these long, drawn out negotiations that involve pulling down channels. I don't see where we're saving any money from them.
Bill Maher's complete episode runs for free on Youtube? I will have to check and see if that is an option.

Bill Maher's complete episode runs for free on Youtube? I will have to check and see if that is an option.

I think that people illegally upload them and they stay there for a short time until they are removed. Only Overtime segments and official short clips are supposed to be on YouTube.

I wouldn’t recommend watching the full episodes on YouTube. The content owner deserves their cut.

Dish owes me money $2.8 million to be exact. Until they start making payments to me again I’ll continue to encourage their customers to seek out other options.

I find this whole thing amusing and I don’t even watch HBO.
I don't fault you on your dispute with Dish. But, there are people who aren't interested in being sole a service of which they aren't interested. The old cliche, "your issue doesn't make it my issue."

I don't fault you on your dispute with Dish. But, there are people who aren't interested in being sole a service of which they aren't interested. The old cliche, "your issue doesn't make it my issue."

Everyone on this forum knows I hate Dish, especially after years of being one of their biggest advocates.

I’m 39 years old, been in this industry since I was 17 years old.

Worked my A$$ off to be one of Dish networks top retailers, and earned every dollar I made from them.

I was hoping to just work for Dish one day.

By the way things look, I’ll likely end up at AT&T or Comcast.

But to have everything you worked for your entire adult life taken away... Over greed from the upper management at Dish.

You would feel the same.

When I say the things I say, I don’t mean cancel your dish and get Directv, Comcast or spectrum through me. It would be nice and anyone who has done business with me knows I’m going to give them an unbiased honest opinion or anything I sell. If I can cost them a few customers along the way, I’m happy even if I don’t get those sales.

I know nobody here is going to cancel their dish subscription because of me. But a lot of people who personally know me and see how badly I was treated have.

But from a retailers point of view, channel take downs are brutal. You got angry customers calling all day threatening to cancel, and then you got the chargebacks from the ones who actually do.

When it comes to chargebacks, a chargeback is a chargeback and dish doesn’t care. At the end it’s your fault for signing up that customer to begin with.

Atleast when Directv had a dispute they said they would re-inburse us for any chargebacks they where responsible for causing.

Do I miss selling dish? Yes!

Would I go back to working with Dish again? Hell no!

I sleep so much better at night not dealing with dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)