HBO/Cinemax Takedown

I blame the FCC more for things like this. They relax the rules on ownership in radio, and now it's the same five stations in every town. They allow content providers to buy major networks, and crap like this breaks out. But, say naughty words on the radio, and watch out!

Yeah, no independent stations in my town. Radio is dead here (to me, at least).

Reactions: The Fat Man
For anyone considering switching to Verizon to "get back" at AT&T, please understand that they both can be pretty crappy companies.

At least one major carrier lied about its 4G coverage, FCC review finds

Of course, AT&T (and the others ) probably overstates their coverage as well, but Verizon is the one people are complaining about. Having recently switched to Verizon for wireless service, I can say I am disappointed with the local coverage, and I am not even in a particularly rural location. I will be switching back to an AT&T MVNO in December, so my wife doesn't kill me. ;)

For anyone considering switching to Verizon to "get back" at AT&T, please understand that they both can be pretty crappy companies.

At least one major carrier lied about its 4G coverage, FCC review finds

Of course, AT&T (and the others ) probably overstates their coverage as well, but Verizon is the one people are complaining about. Having recently switched to Verizon for wireless service, I can say I am disappointed with the local coverage, and I am not even in a particularly rural location. I will be switching back to an AT&T MVNO in December, so my wife doesn't kill me. ;)

I think it varies by region. In the area around my house, the ONLY carrier is Verizon. They rule the rural areas in this region.

Reactions: joewhite57
I've had no problems with my AT&T MVNO coverage, even traveling in rural WV where my in-laws are.

Customer service is excellent, but it's not AT&T, thank goodness.

Reactions: pattykay
We switched to Verizon from AT&T back in 2002. After I researched, Verizon was the best in Consumer Reports and all the reviews I checked out. The reviews are still the best to this day in most areas in the US of America. I would never switch to AT&T.

I think it varies by region. In the area around my house, the ONLY carrier is Verizon. They rule the rural areas in this region.
This is one interesting phenomenon of capitalism. It might be called "local monopoly"

Once before we could get internet here, I responded to a Verizon Fios ad. I called them and they said there were no plans for it in my area (this was in the time of the Verizon NJ fiberoptic promise, but that's another subject). I asked why then did you send me the ad?

At the time I was using Starband satellite internet.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Sounds like AT&T where I live. Verizon is pretty good and has much better coverage than years ago, but AT&T by and large is still the dominant carrier in this area due to their coverage advantage. T-Mobile is “ok” around here on the main routes. With Sprint, you’d might as well not even have a phone, practically no coverage here, except on the Interstate.

As much as I travel, I truly believe its regional. Verizon covers Kansas almost 100%, and much of NE Oklahoma. They even try to penetrate the OK Indian reservations as best as they can. In Ohio, where my parents live, Tmobile and ATT seem to have a stronger presence than Verizon. Then there are areas of SE Missouri where Verizon has completely pulled out and dismantled their towers.

Seems like the "Big 4" cover most of I-70 for its entire duration, but if you stray off the interstate, that can greatly vary.

After Missouri recently finished I-49 (which will eventually link Kansas City with New Orleans once Arkansas gets its act together), Verizon actually added cell sites to bridge the remaining gaps along that route.

Sounds like AT&T where I live. Verizon is pretty good and has much better coverage than years ago, but AT&T by and large is still the dominant carrier in this area due to their coverage advantage. T-Mobile is “ok” around here on the main routes. With Sprint, you’d might as well not even have a phone, practically no coverage here, except on the Interstate.
I use a work-provided Sprint hotspot when I travel. There were even spots along the interstate where I would get no Sprint coverage (I-77 and I-95 in South Carolina).

Reactions: comfortably_numb
We switched to Verizon from AT&T back in 2002. After I researched, Verizon was the best in Consumer Reports and all the reviews I checked out. The reviews are still the best to this day in most areas in the US of America. I would never switch to AT&T.

Verizon is supposed to be the best around here according to all the studies. Somehow, that never matches my experience. I've had Verizon in the past, and I think their 3G network was great, but I just haven't had good luck with their LTE network over the years. There are a lot of companies I've learned to abhor over the years, but none I'd avoid to my own detriment, especially in a business with so few competitors. United Airlines comes to mind. I still fly with them occasionally, because I pretty much have to if I want to get where I am going quickly and economically.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I bet as flat as Kansas is, they don’t have to use nearly as many towers as in a mountainous or hilly region. I would imagine cell reception is probably pretty good all over in most places.

I've paced the tower distances and most of them seem to be about 5 miles apart. Is that typical?

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)