HBO/Cinemax Takedown

My wife and I gave up going to Movie Theaters as their prices escalated. We discovered we could get all the Premium channels per month for the cost of one movie theater excursion ( transportation, ticket price, and refreshments). We use to go to the Movies a couple a times a week. Our savings more than pay for our monthly DISH cost. It took about a year for the movies to get to the Premium channels. Having all the Premiums insured that we could see all the movie releases. Because HBO has exclusive rights to about 50% of movie releases and our too slow for streaming internet speeds , we cannot watch all the movies we want with DISH. I hope DISH can get HBO back. I would hate to move to Directv. I have a large investment in EHDs and unreplaceable content.

Let’s remember, shows nominated for and won awards not voted on by the customers... the awards mean nothing. That goes for music, movies and just about everything else as well.

You don’t see any correlation at all between Emmy winners and quality programming?

My wife and I gave up going to Movie Theaters as their prices escalated. We discovered we could get all the Premium channels per month for the cost of one movie theater excursion ( transportation, ticket price, and refreshments). We use to go to the Movies a couple a times a week. Our savings more than pay for our monthly DISH cost. It took about a year for the movies to get to the Premium channels. Having all the Premiums insured that we could see all the movie releases. Because HBO has exclusive rights to about 50% of movie releases and our too slow for streaming internet speeds , we cannot watch all the movies we want with DISH. I hope DISH can get HBO back. I would hate to move to Directv. I have a large investment in EHDs and unreplaceable content.

Go Netflix disc rental or 3D-blurayrental.com.

Reactions: salyavin
Well I am assuming no high speed internet otherwise one would just use Netflix streaming or if you like HBO Now etc.

I also would say the days of satellite TV are starting to look like mail in DVDs with all these streaming services we have now. satellite TV and mail in DVDs being more for people with slow internet like rural people.

Well I am assuming no high speed internet otherwise one would just use Netflix streaming or if you like HBO Now etc.

I also would say the days of satellite TV are starting to look like mail in DVDs with all these streaming services we have now. satellite TV and mail in DVDs being more for people with slow internet like rural people.

Very much the origination and main audience for satellite tv companies...

Who wants to mail DVDs back or return to a kiosk? Those days are long gone.
I used DVDs by mail a long time ago with Netflix. But with the mail delays the best I could do was one movie per week. Then RedBox came along and for $1.00 (now $1.75) I get fairly recent movies and thats a better deal for me. I don't mind using the kiosks because there are quite a few near me and I am usually going to the store anyway.

I have fiber optic cable (Consolidated Communications) and HBO had a free preview over Thanksgiving weekend from Wednesday through Sunday. It seems like their movies aren't as recent as they used to be long ago. Right now they are showing 'Silence of the Lambs' (27 years old!). Instead of giving HBO their $15 a month I'll just keep using Redbox.

My cable company hasn't gotten into contract disputes. Dish seems to always be fighting contracts.

Reactions: pattykay

The poster said she has very limited internet connections. Plus the facts that discs provide higher quality audio and video plus there’s a bigger selection in the disc market. I’ve always preferred physical media. Heck, even CDs are better quality audio than iTunes.

Reactions: navychop and Bobby
The poster said she has very limited internet connections. Plus the facts that discs provide higher quality audio and video plus there’s a bigger selection in the disc market. I’ve always preferred physical media. Heck, even CDs are better quality audio than iTunes.

And the poster had a solution that was working for them before the takedown. Now they have to mail or drive physical media around town?

Reactions: pattykay
They have become so politicized that the treatment of certain subject matter or diversity of cast has more import than telling a story well. Too many Emmys (and Oscars) are now rewards for towing the politically correct line.

Interesting. Can you give some examples?

I used DVDs by mail a long time ago with Netflix. But with the mail delays the best I could do was one movie per week. Then RedBox came along and for $1.00 (now $1.75) I get fairly recent movies and thats a better deal for me. I don't mind using the kiosks because there are quite a few near me and I am usually going to the store anyway.

I have fiber optic cable (Consolidated Communications) and HBO had a free preview over Thanksgiving weekend from Wednesday through Sunday. It seems like their movies aren't as recent as they used to be long ago. Right now they are showing 'Silence of the Lambs' (27 years old!). Instead of giving HBO their $15 a month I'll just keep using Redbox.

My cable company hasn't gotten into contract disputes. Dish seems to always be fighting contracts.

Luckily I can get a new DVD in one day living on the Oregon Coast. I mail it on lets say Monday, they get it on Tuesday, and I get a new one on Wednesday. Once in a great while, it may take an extra day, like around Christmas, but that is rare. It works nicely here.

Mail yes, but when you walk by a Kiosk in your grocery store every other day at least, not so much. And because of that HBO was never important to me for movies because all the ones I wanted to see, I already had. No, Kiosks are still very much alive. In fact I read Redbox is testing 4K releases in some markets. But I have a feeling they won't test well enough to go mainstream.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)