HD-A1 upgradeable to 1080p??

MI_GTO

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
Mt Pleasant, Michigan
So I was looking closely at the front display on my player last night and notice that next to the 1080i light there is a little "p" that would illuminate just like with the 480 "i" and "p" lights when that particular resolution is selected. Could it be that this player will output 1080p at some point with a future firmware update? Just a thought, but it seems that someone must have intended for it to do 1080p at one point. I don't want to get my hopes up, but it does look promising. :confused:

MI_GTO said:
So I was looking closely at the front display on my player last night and notice that next to the 1080i light there is a little "p" that would illuminate just like with the 480 "i" and "p" lights when that particular resolution is selected. Could it be that this player will output 1080p at some point with a future firmware update? Just a thought, but it seems that someone must have intended for it to do 1080p at one point. I don't want to get my hopes up, but it does look promising. :confused:

There's been a lot of speculation on that. Several industry experts calim that 1080p (at 24 frames per second) is not possible with the chips / processors inside the current HD DVD players. But, the reral question is how many HD DVD owners could make use of it? Most 1080p HDTV's sold today cannot accept 1080p input; they can only accept up to 1080i input, and then process that do a great job of displaying it in 1080p, just like they do with 1080i HDTV broadcasts.

My Sony HDTV can only accept and display up to 1080i, and I'm very happy with the display, it's only 2 years old, and it will be a long time before I'll consider upgrading to 1080p.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)