HD-DVD #1 player at Amazon!

what that you have to give people money back and free movies to buy HD DVD?! sorry couldnt help myself :)

Hey, if it proves to be the move that turned the corner for Toshiba in their ultimate victory in the format wars, it will be hailed as a brilliant move. And it's still a really good upscaling DVD player even if/when Blu-Ray wins.

I don't think either one of them will win. If a company comes out with a good player that plays both who cares what format it is in. Currently LG has one but the HD-DVD part was an afterthough so it isn't very good.

My objection to the A2 is that it does not play DVD+R only DVD-R. With 800 recordings this means keeping a separate player/recorder for them, which I would have to do anyway to record more.

Still looking for a recorder with component in for the last of the SD resolution--found a Philips with RGB-coded input jacks but seems to be a pass through only, as best I can read the manual.
-Ken

Has anybody taken in consideration about how much Toshiba is losing with these rebates and free HD DVD's? It has to be adding up pretty quickly right?

Planning to purchase the new Panasonic Blu-Ray on June 17th. Have had HD-DVD since the first day ... it plays everything I throw at it: DVD-R, DVD+R, etc. ... and the upscaling over both component and hdmi is fantastic. Hope the Panasonic is just as good ... there's a lot of Blu-Ray Movies not on HD-DVD (in the States) which I want to own.

My objection to the A2 is that it does not play DVD+R only DVD-R. With 800 recordings this means keeping a separate player/recorder for them, which I would have to do anyway to record more.

-Ken

I just took advantage of the deals currently on the Toshiba players (basically 10 HD-DVD's plus player for $350), but anyways, my HD-A2 plays all my DVD+R's just fine eventhough the specs don't list it. DVD-R is fine too. I am using Verbatim and FujiFilm media.

It also plays my DVD+R DL discs fine and the specs say DVD-R DL only. Has me wondering if the person posting the specs didn't know there was a difference with +/- discs

Has anybody taken in consideration about how much Toshiba is losing with these rebates and free HD DVD's? It has to be adding up pretty quickly right?

Don't forget, they're also paying Universal. High stakes game.

well someone better hurry, I know in my area I am seeing Blu ray at wal mart (the Discs not the players) and from what I hear wal mart is supporting blu ray only, not HD DVD (could change but this is what the media manager has told me). we will see...its just sad that really right now we cant see whos winning because the sales are so small on both sides that forum fanatics have a buy HD DVD and blu ray day and skew the numbers.

well someone better hurry, I know in my area I am seeing Blu ray at wal mart (the Discs not the players) and from what I hear wal mart is supporting blu ray only, not HD DVD (could change but this is what the media manager has told me). we will see...its just sad that really right now we cant see whos winning because the sales are so small on both sides that forum fanatics have a buy HD DVD and blu ray day and skew the numbers.

Walmart supports HD-DVD. I haven't seen any Blu-ray there.

Oh yeah, their support for Blu Ray is un wavering. :rolleyes:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=486303

All the Walmarts that I have been in sell both HD-DVD and Blu-ray discs. I'm sorry but I would never belive anything that a Walmart media manager tells me. They normally know just as much as a D* or E* CSR.

Yep, my local walmart has TONS of HD-DVD and a couple rows of blu-ray discs. They even had some HD-DVD players for a while. As Jag said, I trust the walmart media manager as much as I trust a bunch of sailors in a cathouse. :)

Best part about walmart for movies is the "Release Day Discount" of a few buck on the HD formats and almost 40% on regular dvd. Picked up Smokin Aces for $22 HD-DVD, Departed for $18 HD-DVD as an example.

I wish my walmart would get HD-DVD discs. They also don't have Blu-ray but I don't have a player.

So what is the detail on the rebate for disks? I cannot find anything on the Toshiba web site. DO you need to buy the DVD payer at a specific location or is any new retailer OK. What are the titles that are available to select rom? WHne does the offer expire? @ 299 with 5 disks if nothing else it looks like this would make a good upconverting DVD player

The rebate is instant. You don't have to send anything in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)