HD-DVD Death = Prolonged life for DVD

darrencp22

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Lockport, NY (Buffalo Suburb)
This really is the truth. What some people don't understand is that most of the people in these forums are from the extreme geek crowd, the gamers, and techno-junkies. They dont in anyway represent the average american consumer.

What effectively happened was easy access to $100-150 High Definition players was killed.
The cheapest BluRay player I found on google shopping was $300

Sony winning has eliminated the average consumer. The average consumer will not pay another $300. They had a tough enough time justifying the new HDTV they purchased.

Also, with the impact of uprezzing DVD players the value just isnt there. I bet many consumers wouldn't know the difference between uprezzed and hd. Many people have their HDTVs and no HD service!

I predict we'll see DVD prolong its dominance for at least another 3 years. It unfortunately paying off movie studios led to the consumer being shafted on this.

Last edited:
I agree with you. But why didn't the consumer act and buy more HD DVD"S? BD outsold HD DVD even though the BD players are more expensive. I own both systems and I recentley purchased a ne HD DVD player which I was lucky enough not to open the box and I will be returning it.

I agree with you. But why didn't the consumer act and buy more HD DVD"S? BD outsold HD DVD even though the BD players are more expensive. I own both systems and I recentley purchased a ne HD DVD player which I was lucky enough not to open the box and I will be returning it.

I think we're still dealing with the geek crowd. I bet you most of the people buying blu-ray discs are gamers who own a PS3. Long-term I think we would have seen different results as the regular consumer entered the market with cheap players.

This really is the truth. What some people don't understand is that most of the people in these forums are from the extreme geek crowd, the gamers, and techno-junkies. They dont in anyway represent the average american consumer.

What effectively happened was easy access to $100-150 High Definition players was killed.
The cheapest BluRay player I found on google shopping was $300

Sony winning has eliminated the average consumer. The average consumer will not pay another $300. They had a tough enough time justifying the new HDTV they purchased.

Also, with the impact of uprezzing DVD players the value just isnt there. I bet many consumers wouldn't know the difference between uprezzed and hd. Many people have their HDTVs and no HD service!

I predict we'll see DVD prolong its life for at least another 3 years. It unfortunately paying off movie studios led to the consumer being shafted on this.

I think you may be right. As for now there is only ONE BD player than can do profile 2.0 which would be equivalent to HD-DVD specs and that is the Panasonic but the price seems to be omitted. Probably 500 or so but that's just too high.

When Toshiba first demoed the players in stores I told the guys you HAVE to start at $300.....

sony marketed to the right people.. kids.. with the ps3.. which pushed parents into a blu-ray player..

By the way... it is funny how the PS3 led to this.. yet the PS3 is a failling game console. I still have not met one person who owns one. Its a shame such a small group of people effected the outcome. Stores are loaded with PS3s.

Because they did not shove titles out fast enough. Every time I've been to BB the last few months the BD shelves were packed. They just kept shoving titles out. Where the hell was Paramount's and Universal's vast catalogue?

By the way... it is funny how the PS3 led to this.. yet the PS3 is a failling game console. I still have not met one person who owns one. Its a shame such a small group of people effected the outcome. Stores are loaded with PS3s.

Yup....will the PS4 have a BD drive in it or will it be the next big thing?

I finally bought a HD-DVD player about 4 months ago. This was the Xbox 360 add-on for $170 with 10 movies... thats what it took for me to finally make the plunge. I did not pick HD-DVD or BluRay. I picked cheap.

And even after.. the uprezzing my xbox does makes it hardly worth it to buy new $30 movies. It just wont be worth my while to switch to BluRay until the price tumbles to the $100 range... and I am NOT the average consumer!

Actually, every survey I saw said that people weren't jumping into HD-DVD / Blu-ray because they were waiting to see a winner. Most consumers didn't want to have both formats.

Actually, every survey I saw said that people weren't jumping into HD-DVD / Blu-ray because they were waiting to see a winner. Most consumers didn't want to have both formats.

Of course that is part of it. I bet you the people surveyed don't even know the price of the hardware. Only time will tell, but I don't see a signicficant flood of sales without a mjaor price drop.

Did any of you guys that gripe about prices look at the 4-5 year market share(bda ces event) on vhs vs dvd and the projected dvd vs bd. They are alike.

DVD came out in 1997, I paid $399 for a player in 2000. BOOOOOO, HISSSSSSSS, dvd is gonna die :rolleyes:

Did any of you guys that gripe about prices look at the 4-5 year market share(bda ces event) on vhs vs dvd and the projected dvd vs bd. They are alike.

DVD came out in 1997, I paid $399 for a player in 2000. BOOOOOO, HISSSSSSSS, dvd is gonna die :rolleyes:

Forgetting motivation though. No more rewinding was the call of many. As well as 1/3 or 1/8 (depending on if you keep cases) storage of current VHS tapes. And VHS tapes had a habit of being eaten in players. :D

That drove the market more than this format looks better.

Forgetting motivation though. No more rewinding was the call of many. As well as 1/3 or 1/8 (depending on if you keep cases) storage of current VHS tapes. And VHS tapes had a habit of being eaten in players. :D

That drove the market more than this format looks better.

Heres my real feeling. Stop being monday morning quarterbacks on the price thing. the horse is DEAD.

Heres my real feeling. Stop being monday morning quarterbacks on the price thing. the horse is DEAD.

I will disagree with you. There is a price point where it matters. I mean look at sales of the PS3 before compared to after the 40gig model was released.

What will be the true deciding factor the more I think of it is if we go into a recession over the housing market. If that happens progress will slow to a crawl. :(

What I meant by dead is, some think its too high, some think its fine, some dont care. Continually beating it is not going to change it. BD has a pricing strategy that they arent gonna change. If the format dies, then you can say I told you so.

We all could die of a nuclear attack tomorrow. I then would not be worried about BD prices.

What I meant by dead is, some think its too high, some think its fine, some dont care. Continually beating it is not going to change it. BD has a pricing strategy that they arent gonna change. If the format dies, then you can say I told you so.

We all could die of a nuclear attack tomorrow. I then would not be worried about BD prices.

True enough, But a valid discussion would be about the price point where everyone would be comfortable buying the Buying blue ray.

I would say $179 for a Blue Ray add on drive would be perfect for my position.

Or $350 for a PS3 bundled with FFXIII in about 2 years. Would work as well. that would be my price point :D

You (or the analyst that regurgitated them) read them wrong. The format war was always far down on the list (usually #3). The #1 issue was price. The #2 issue was most people felt DVD was good enough. (Honestly, on a 32" LCD, upconverted DVD doesn't look that much worse than SD DVD. The high res audio formats sound better. However, most people listen through their TV speakers, so that's a non-issue!)

I think Warner is going to lean HARD on the BDA to get their replication costs down. Even Blu-Ray fans like Rich from RBFilms complained about Blu-Ray costs. Digital Playground is supporting Blu-Ray kicking and screaming but said the costs are still 4x that of HD-DVD. Add the mandatory AACS license, and I can see independents staying away from Blu-Ray.

True enough, But a valid discussion would be about the price point where everyone would be comfortable buying the Buying blue ray.

I would say $179 for a Blue Ray add on drive would be perfect for my position.

Or $350 for a PS3 bundled with FFXIII in about 2 years. Would work as well. that would be my price point :D

Im willing to bet the 40gig ps3 is lower than that come summer.