HD-DVD (only) Owners: What do you do when it's over?

If/When HD-DVD is confirmed dead, will you buy a BD player?

• No, because I hate Sony.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • No, because I just like HD better and I'm mad they lost.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - Other (please explain in thread).

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • Yes, ASAP - just give me my HD movies!

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Yes, eventually - once the sting wears off.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Yes, when the prices come down on BD players.

Votes: 48 49.0%
  • Yes, when a good 2.0 player is available.

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • Yes - other (please explain in thread).

Votes: 8 8.2%

• Total voters
Back to the original topic.

After bloody Monday I thought long and hard. I've decided to sell all my HD DVD movies (47) and player (A1) and go from purple to blu. The clincher was Netflix. NO NEW MOVIES!! Are you kidding me? Sure, I could continue to enjoy what I have but the reality is all those movies will someday be available to Blu-ray. I've already started to replenish the warner titles. I think I'm still in shock. I was one of the first people to get an HD DVD player and was very outspoken about it's advantages. It will be a little eaiser on the whole family just having one player. I'm looking forward to hooking up the Samsung to the 5.1 audio so I can enjoy uncompressed. The 5.1 was being used by the A1. I'm not bitter (maybe a little) and still think HD DVD is better, but we are being FORCED to blu.

After bloody Monday I thought long and hard. I've decided to sell all my HD DVD movies (47) and player (A1) and go from purple to blu. The clincher was Netflix. NO NEW MOVIES!! Are you kidding me? Sure, I could continue to enjoy what I have but the reality is all those movies will someday be available to Blu-ray. I've already started to replenish the warner titles. I think I'm still in shock. I was one of the first people to get an HD DVD player and was very outspoken about it's advantages. It will be a little eaiser on the whole family just having one player. I'm looking forward to hooking up the Samsung to the 5.1 audio so I can enjoy uncompressed. The 5.1 was being used by the A1. I'm not bitter (maybe a little) and still think HD DVD is better, but we are being FORCED to blu.

What HD DVD titles do you have!

OK, so I voted "Yes - other (please explain in thread). " so I will explain...

My total investment in HD-DVD is $179 or so, plus 2 movies that I rented for $4.99 each. I've got 6 HD-DVD movies (one that came with Xbox 360 Drive and 5 mail in rebate thing (OK, so I guess you can add .41 to my total investment).... Anyways, what is the cheapest Blu-Ray? PS3, which is how much? $399, twice my investment in HD-DVD, and something that I don't want ( don't like Sony, don't like PS, and don't want it for that price, would have to come down $150 before I'd even think about it) so what is the cheapest standalone? $500 or so? Lets say $400, which Blu-Ray player is it? With all the talk about 2.0 etc. I don't' want to go buy a player that won't play movies in 6 months or something, especially at $400 on top of my already invested $180 in HD-DVD...

So, I wait... Cheaper prices, better quality, finished product (no 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, etc. issues!!!!!!) and finally, my purchase will be a brand that is not Sony, when I do buy...

OK, so I voted "Yes - other (please explain in thread). " so I will explain...

My total investment in HD-DVD is $179 or so, plus 2 movies that I rented for $4.99 each. I've got 6 HD-DVD movies (one that came with Xbox 360 Drive and 5 mail in rebate thing (OK, so I guess you can add .41 to my total investment).... Anyways, what is the cheapest Blu-Ray? PS3, which is how much? $399, twice my investment in HD-DVD, and something that I don't want ( don't like Sony, don't like PS, and don't want it for that price, would have to come down $150 before I'd even think about it) so what is the cheapest standalone? $500 or so? Lets say $400, which Blu-Ray player is it? With all the talk about 2.0 etc. I don't' want to go buy a player that won't play movies in 6 months or something, especially at $400 on top of my already invested $180 in HD-DVD...

So, I wait... Cheaper prices, better quality, finished product (no 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, etc. issues!!!!!!) and finally, my purchase will be a brand that is not Sony, when I do buy...

Won't play movies in 6 months? Thats so not true...
I don't know but have you ever heard of something called Firmware update, sure it may not convert to 2.0 some of the players, but all of the movies that are coming out will play in your system that you purchased or going to purchase.

Who said you need to buy a sony player? There are tons of supporters out there that make blu-ray player...Pioneer/Panasonic are the top blu-ray players out there, Samsung is making decent players too.
Plus Blu-ray will have their own cheap brand players just like Toshiba in few months.

...but we are being FORCED to blu.
The way I look at it, BluRay won the little battle against HDDVD. Now comes the BIG battle - the one against standard DVD. There are certainly no guarantees that BluRay will come out the winner in that one (nor would there have been guarantees for HDDVD, had it beaten BluRay).

I was only willing to bet a little money on any HD technology v.s. standard DVD. The cheapest bet was $98 for an HDDVD player, and an additional $50 on two movies (one of them the semi-expensive Planet Earth series). The ante was too high for me to even consider an initial bet for BluRay. So now I'll wait a bit. If BluRay appears to start seriously taking on standard DVD, then will be the time I'm willing to start looking at a bet on a BluRay player. For now I'm willing to hold my bets and enjoy my $98 "upconverter", and those two HD movies I bought that I can also play on it. We'll see if the HD v.s. DVD battle goes anywhere. I hope so, but I'm not ready to bet any more money on it yet.

WOW!

What HD DVD titles do you have!

Ditto. Post them in the classifieds!

Ditto. Post them in the classifieds!
I posted them as a group on craigslist. I didn't want to deal with a bunch of tranactions. I'm supposed to meet someone tommorrow for the exchange. :river

If it falls through I may post them here.

Here's what I have.

• Mummy
• Mummy Returns
• Harry Potter 1-4
• Meet the Parents
• Meet the Fockers
• Bourne Identity
• Bourne Supremacy
• Bourne Ultimatum
• The Big Lebowski
• Happy Feet
• Blades of Glory
• V for Vendetta
• Batman Begins
• Sleepy Hollow
• Ray
• Anchorman
• Blade Runner – Collectors Edition
• 2001 space Odyssey
• Ultimate Matrix Collection – all 3 movies
• Transformers
• Shrek the Third
• Polar Express
• Phantom of the Opera
• Sahara
• Planet Earth – the complete BBC series (4 disc set)
• The Last Samurai
• Van Helsing
• Enter the Dragon
• Pitch Black
• Apollo 13
• The Chronicles of Riddick
• Happy Gilmore
• Friday Night Lights
• Goodfellas
• Blazing Saddles
• Serenity
• Syriana
• Unforgiven
• Elephants Dream - Import

I'll give you $10 +$2 shipping for Batman Begins.

I have two players, so even when I buy Blu I'll be purple.

The E-bay prices on Blu gear make me want to wait. I can understand "some" of the PS3 prices (the 60gb for $300 makes sense). However, anything more than $200 for a profile 1.0 player just isn't worth it to me. Really, they should be $100--especially the non-bitstreaming, non-TrueHD decoding ones.

I'm not alone.

Study: Consumers Waiting for Blu-ray/HD DVD Winner

Study: Consumers Waiting for Blu-ray/HD DVD Winner
Online survey shows that people will be content with standard-def DVD for now.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (February 14, 2008) -- Industry officials are not the only ones waiting anxiously for a winner in the Blu-ray/HD DVD high-def format war.

So are consumers.

The web site PriceGrabber.com says a new online survey shows that many consumers are reluctant to buy either a Blu-ray or HD DVD player until the format war is over.

Until then, they will be content with using traditional DVD and VHS players for home video use, said the study, which was based on interviews with 2,185 online shoppers in January.

Sixty-three percent of respondents said they will wait until the format war is resolved before buying a high-def disc player. However, 56 percent said they might purchase a Blu-ray player if they saw "significant" price drops.

The survey said 37 percent of men and 42 percent of women do not plan to purchase any high-def product in the near future.

I'm in no big rush. I will likely want to jump in when Sony releases Lawrence of Arabia.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts