HD-DVD Picture Quality

rbmjr

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
Hi all,

I hope this isn't a dumb question but here's what I'd like to know:

I have an A3 HD-DVD player and a Samsung DVD-VCR w/ 1080i upconversion. Both of my HDTV sets are 1080i native (bought before 1080p was available). What is the actual difference in picture between a true HD-DVD and a standard DVD upconverted to 1080i ?

Most of my dvd's are SD except for the few that came with the HD-DVD player and 2 others I purchased. As of now, I have been unable to discern a difference between an HD-DVD played in the A3 and an SD dvd in the A3.

I guess the short version of the question is what is the difference in picture quality between a native HD DVD and an upconverted SD DVD?

Regards,

...I have been unable to discern a difference between an HD-DVD played in the A3 and an SD dvd in the A3.
Have a look at the picture in this post (click on top to see it in real size).
http://www.satelliteguys.us/hd-dvd-blu-ray-war-zone/120030-toshiba-ces.html#post1178322
It shows what the real hidef image (right side) and upconverted DVD look like when taken as screenshot.

How noticable it will be with your setup depends on many factors, primarily whether your TV does any processing to the image and what its real resolution is.
Also, what movie(s) have you compared? What connection do you use? How far from the screen are your seats?

Diogen.

If you cant tell the difference in quality on your TV between a HD and a upconverted dvd picture then it is one of the following:

- Failing eyesight
- Poor HD connection to TV
- Poor TV
- Poor TV settings

Or one of the other reasons in the responsed below that I've forgotten.

Upconverted DVD is indeed very impressive, but it should be obvious when you are watching HD that your are watching HD IMO, and only poor connections/settings/eyesight would change that.

Some other things are the size of your TV and how far you are sitting from the TV. I have an A-2 HD DVD player on a 42" screen and an upconvert on a 32" inch screen. On a smaller screen, the difference will be less obvious, especially if you are sitting a little farther away. Sometimes I have a really hard time discerning a difference between the two even though I know they are different.

That picture above is a great comparison.

Have a look at the picture in this post (click on top to see it in real size).
http://www.satelliteguys.us/hd-dvd-blu-ray-war-zone/120030-toshiba-ces.html#post1178322
It shows what the real hidef image (right side) and upconverted DVD look like when taken as screenshot.

How noticable it will be with your setup depends on many factors, primarily whether your TV does any processing to the image and what its real resolution is.
Also, what movie(s) have you compared? What connection do you use? How far from the screen are your seats?

Diogen.

Thanks for the response. I assume the image in the post is a 1080p since Blu-Ray doesn't do 1080i native, right?

So far, I have been using many of my SD-DVD's or rentals from Netflix as comparisons. I can definitely see the difference when watching a TV channel in HD versus an upconverted SD feed.

The set is connected by HDMI and the seats are 10-12 feet away from a 32" screen. I am replacing that with my 55" screen tomorrow.

Thanks...

I assume the image in the post is a 1080p since Blu-Ray doesn't do 1080i native, right?
The image is 1920x1080.
The bits on a BD disc are stored 1080p but output depending on the player's abilities...
I can definitely see the difference when watching a TV channel in HD versus an upconverted SD feed.
You mean you see the difference between hidef TV vs. DVD upconvert but can't see BD vs. upconvert DVD?
Something is wrong with your BD playback.
The set is connected by HDMI and the seats are 10-12 feet away from a 32" screen.
That could be the problem.

Diogen.

Not that it maters but he seems to have an HD DVD player not a BD player. I mention this only because of the commetns about supporting 1080i.

Ups...
Then replace this sentence
The bits on a BD disc are stored 1080p but output depending on the player's abilities...
with
"The bits on HD are stored in 1080p but flagged for interlaced output if needed and the player abilities decide how it is sent to the TV".

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts