teamerickson

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
El Dorado Hills, CA
HD DVD players lead in HD sales. What's New
By Henning Molbaek

FIRST ONLINE Oct 10, 2007

New numbers from NPD puts HD DVD stand-alone players in front when it comes to sales.

Year to date figures says that HD DVD has 53% of all sales with Blu-ray doing 44%. The last 3 % accounts for Combo HD DVD and Blu-ray players.

Jodi Sally, Toshiba VP of marketing of digital A/V products told VideoBusiness.com that Blu-ray had weekly victories in the run-up to home theater installer conference CEDIA but said that HD DVD claimed the top spot again short after.

Not included in these figures are Playstation 3 and XBOX 360 add-on sales. The PS3 have sold about 2 million units in the US since launch. Toshiba believes that HD DVD drives for computers will out-weigh the PS3 advantage next year. Here they hope to sell more than five million drives. Surveys has revealed that only 20% of PS3 owners use their game console for movie playback. Toshiba believes the percentage for PC drives to be higher.

I eagerly await JoePS3's response.:D

Surveys has revealed that only 20% of PS3 owners use their game console for movie playback. Toshiba believes the percentage for PC drives to be higher.

I eagerly await JoePS3's response.:D

Are they kidding? If people aren't using it for movie playback, they will be (personally I think it's much higher than 20%), and I can't see the whole family gathered around the computer monitor... some people will hook their PC's up to their living room setup, but I would think that number would be pretty small.... I don't buy that statement at all.

...some people will hook their PC's up to their living room setup, but I would think that number would be pretty small....
I don't buy that statement at all.
If PCs are allowed to play back HD/BD in the future (I don't consider that a given),
the number of PC owners that'll do just that might not be so small. With modern TVs setting up a PC connection is a peace of cake...

Diogen.

Are they kidding? If people aren't using it for movie playback, they will be (personally I think it's much higher than 20%), and I can't see the whole family gathered around the computer monitor... some people will hook their PC's up to their living room setup, but I would think that number would be pretty small.... I don't buy that statement at all.
I can see many families huddled infront of a 50" LCD monitor. HTPC a new term for you?

The latest prices I have seen on PC drives that record and playback on either HD format has been in the thousands of dollars. You guys are going to spend a $1000 on a HD-DVD or BD drive for your PC?

After that question -- Why?

The main reason for backing up a DVD was because DVD discs were so easily damaged -- especially by kids and if you did not have a backup -- you lost a movie. Both HD-DVD and BD discs are very resistant to damage. At least I know for a fact that the BD discs are. You have to intentionally want to damage the discs and then put effort into it. I do not see the need to back up a BD or HD-DVD discs unless you are building a storage base. My guess is that someone will come up with a BD and/or HD-DVD 100 or 200 disc drive. This might solve the problem for those who want a home storage system.

The SOny Drive is 699 on sale for 549 (not very favorable reviews for this particular drive). A couple others between 533 and 799 around.

S~

But this is OT from the original post. Gen 3 players are in and selling pretty well. I love the A35.

The latest prices I have seen on PC drives that record and playback on either HD format has been in the thousands of dollars.
If nothing else, you're good entertainment, Joe...:p
You must be a big fan of "The Matrix". Ignorance is bliss.
No worry where your foot got stuck before hitting the keyboard...

First, WTF does one need recording abilities for when playing back HD/BD movies?
Second, a combo drive, reading both HD and BD is just $299
LG GGC-H20LI Hybrid Bluray/HD-DVD Reader (PC Drive) is out and cheap! $299! - AVS Forum

True, it's not widely available yet, but I held one in my hands (it's not mine).
And watched it play both formats on a PC. Total price - PC+Drive - under $1K.

Diogen.

I can see many families huddled infront of a 50" LCD monitor. HTPC a new term for you?

I didn't say it wasn't possible, just that I don't consider it likely that a lot of people will do that. I just don't think we're at the point where a large enough number of people will hook their PC's up to their living room TV to make a difference, and I definitely don't think more people will do that than will watch movies on their PS3's.

Not included in these figures are Playstation 3 and XBOX 360 add-on sales. ... Surveys has revealed that only 20% of PS3 owners use their game console for movie playback. Toshiba believes the percentage for PC drives to be higher.
What happens to the lead if they include the 20% of PS3's that are used for playing blu-rays?

It's probably because stand alones are in fact used to actually watch movies. But, as the article claims only 20% of PS3 players are used for movie watching.
Reportedly 90% of Blu-ray users are viewing it on those PS3's.

But just counting players the recent reports have Blu-Ray players outselling HD-dvd and just slightly behind HD in total players out there.

Reportedly 90% of Blu-ray users are viewing it on those PS3's.

But just counting players the recent reports have Blu-Ray players outselling HD-dvd and just slightly behind HD in total players out there.
Recent reports had BD players on top but the release of the 3rd gen HD DVD players have helped HD DVD to the top again. So how can BD be selling more recently if HD DVD is on top again? :confused:

So how can BD be selling more recently if HD DVD is on top again? :confused:
You are looking for logic. Don't.
Blu is a religion, just like Apple.
When Mac has under 5% market share - market share means nothing.
When iPod has 80% market share - market share means everything.
When Mac uses PowerPC - it is twice as fast as Intel PC.
When they switch to Intel - it is twice as fast as the PPC Mac.
Before iTunes is introduced - freedom is everything.
After - DRM is God.

You don't question it. But accept as a dogma. 10 Commandments of sort.
Facts mean nothing. You declare what is good for BD as a fact and dismiss the rest as FUD.
The BD website helps a lot to "absorb" these teachings and get in the right state of mind. :p

Diogen.

The only thing HD-DVD is leading in is standalones. Even Warner came out today and stated that '300' sold twice as many discs on BD as on HD-DVD. Normally Warner does not meantion sales totals on their releases. Warner did say that they were going to look very closely at the numbers during the fourth quarter. Humm?

BD leads in total discs sales -- that is not in refute. Here are some interesting numbers to ponder, on January 1st, 2007 HD-DVD standalone sales lead at the time was 73% vs 27% for BD in standalones sales. Today their lead is 52% to 46% BD for the year (2% for combo players).

Simple question -- WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT HUGH LEAD?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts