giraffejumper

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 10, 2006
HDFury.jpg

Has anyone tried one of these?

HDfury
HDfury: Universal DVI/HDMI (HDCP) to RGB Converter

1080p on all computer monitors that were not formerly hdpc compliant!

I can not wait to have full 1080p hd on my monitor!
Plus you can make the old hd tv's that were not compliant work. I bet I can find some really nice ones for cheap since people think that they are now worthless.

The videos on youtube and the main website look amazing!

YouTube - HDfury : Add a HDMI digital input up to any RGB display !
YouTube - PS3 1080P VGA MONITOR HACK HDFURY
YouTube - PS3 1080P VGA MONITOR HACK HDFURY TRIBUTE
YouTube - Using PS3 on Computer Monitor, HDFury via CAT5 Cable

If anyone has one - please let me know how well or not it is working for them. I just ordered one today.

Thanks,
-phil

Not sure if I understand. Can this turn a 1080i to a 1080p hdtv??
No.
There are millions of older displays - especially older computer displays - that are capable of doing resolutions even beyond 1080p.
Even most old ugly crt computer monitors can do this.
The only problem is that they are not "compliant" with all the new technology and it will only show it in regular 480i or a blank screen to keep you within "drm" rules.
Conspiracy Theory: To force every one to have to buy new tv's maybe?
This attaches between the hdmi cable and the tv and acts like a tv with full capabilities and authorizes the blu ray player or whatever else to let it use the tv.
Just think - if you can find a really nice older lcd screen for cheap you can add this and save hundreds of dollars to have 1080p.
The drawback is that it HAS to be hdmi and you have to find another route for your sound.
But I go through my receiver for sound anyhow.
I am just hoping it will work with an hdmi switch so I can use more than just the ps3/blu ray with it. And it sucks that my Xbox360 is not the hdmi version so I will not be able to see it in full 1080p - only the 720p/1080i that my 27'' Olevia can do.
-phil

And to further try and answer your question - I think it will send 1080p signals to your 1080i tv where it would not before - but your tv would just scale it down. As soon as I get it, I will do a full review.

I think you are confused...

1.There are no CRT displays above 1080, not because the tubes can't handle it, but electronics inside.
2. You can send HD/BD over analog (VGA, component) without losing resolutions (at least in the US).
3. DRM has nothing to do with all this.
4. A "really nice older lcd screen" won't do 1080p, it has to be quite new.

I think this device's purpose is to connect a player having only a digital (DVI, HDMI) output to a display having only analog input (VGA, component).

Diogen.

I have one. I am using it to take the output of my Denon 4306i HDMI monitor out and sending the signal over the 50+' component cable I have run to my older front projector on the ceiling in my theater.

I know I have to replace the projector (and cable) at some point in the future, but it's not in the finances right now, so this bugger is doing the trick. I bought the one with the power supply so the signal would be OK through the long cable (bought 7 years ago from Better Cables)

The picture quality is pretty good. I have my 722, a BD and an HD-DVD player connected to the Denon via HDMI, then this is the output to the fury.

I think this device's purpose is to connect a player having only a digital (DVI, HDMI) output to a display having only analog input (VGA, component).
Definitely, but that is not it's full claim. It also is to make a non hdcp compliant monitor compliant by removing the built in protection that renders a lot of old monitors useless for HD even though they have the ability for it. This allows you to use a Blu Ray player on one that would otherwise downgrade it or blank it (copy protection). (unless #2 below applies! I will let you know as soon as I can try it)

"What is HDfury ?
The HDfury is a tiny external add-on adapter that is used to add a digital DVI/HDMI input to older display devices without digital inputs so that the newest sources such as HD-DVD/Blu-ray players can used.It is connected to any RGB display through the SUB-D HD15 (VGA) Female Input or RGBHV BNC inputs using an optional extender cable. Once in place the HDfury performs HDCP decryption and HDMI to RGB conversion. You can then connect any HDMI source in full HD 1080p directly to your now "enhanced" display!"

1.There are no CRT displays above 1080, not because the tubes can't handle it, but electronics inside.
I only said that because my current monitor can do resolutions of 1920x1200. This means it can do 1080p from what I understand. And with the HDFURY I will no longer get a blank screen when I try this. Unless #2 below applies!

2. You can send HD/BD over analog (VGA, component) without losing resolutions (at least in the US).
If so - then I just wasted some money! I just went back and realized that all the people with them in the videos were British. Oh well - then I will just sell it to them! Thank you for pointing this out since I have not tried it without.

3. DRM has nothing to do with all this.
I am confused with all the anti piracy stuff. drm, dmca, hdcp. However, I mentioned drm since they did, whether it was in the right context or not I am not sure.

From their site:

"Strictly speaking, HDCP Strippers are in reality encryption countermeasure devices. Whether all that the user is doing is just removing the digital rights management from the original signal in order to be able to view it on his or her non-HDCP compliant HDTV is another story, yet we cannot see how these devices can pass the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA)."

" HDMI is a new standard that comes with hardware protection called HDCP.
If your display doesn't have a HDMI input you won't be able to display 720p/1080p signal on it (from HDMI sources)
Prior to exchange Data Video, HDMI source is exchanging keys with HDMI display.
Both have a special HDCP chip embedded. If your display doesn't have it, even if it's technically able to display 720p or 1080p signal, it will display a BLACK SCREEN.
On Playstation3 for example: 1080p mode is only available through HDMI output"

4. A "really nice older lcd screen" won't do 1080p, it has to be quite new.
From my understanding - as long as it supports the resolution, it can do it. But I haven't messed with it yet. HDfury: More Results (And More Worry, For The Digital Content Protection LLC) - Brian's Brain - Blog on EDN - 400000040

But thank you especially for pointing out number 2. I have not even bothered trying to hook it up to my monitor yet since it is such an issue for UK. If it works without this then you just saved me some money since I will just sell it!
You are right. This stuff is confusing!
-phil

My understanding is, it is all about ICT (Image Constraint Token).

When HD/BD were in development, the official position was to prevent full resolution 1920x1080 over analog (VGA, component)
and ICT would be the mechanism to accomplish that: the vertical resolution would be cut in half and then line-doubled.
But just before its release, both camps decided to postpone the implementation of ICT, i.e. allowing full resolution to be passed over analog.

When this "grace" period will end (if it ever will) was never announced. No hidef disc released in the US uses it but there were reports some German releases already do.

What HDFury does is makes ICT irrelevant for good: the player connected to it will always "think" it streams to a HDCP approved device and never downconvert the image even if ICT is enforced.

But keep in mind that just like AACS and BD+, and HDCP license (keys) can be revoked.
If ICT is enforced and studios are serios about it, keys in those HDFury devices can be revoked and it won't be able to perform its "magic".

I don't think this will happen on a big scale. I believe ICT is stillborn.

Diogen.

If so - then I just wasted some money! I just went back and realized that all the people with them in the videos were British. Oh well - then I will just sell it to them! Thank you for pointing this out since I have not tried it without.

I am confused with all the anti piracy stuff. drm, dmca, hdcp. However, I mentioned drm since they did, whether it was in the right context or not I am not sure.

Yes, but in a few years content providers will start REQUIRING HDCP enabled devices for even HD playback. They already require it for upconverting SD DVD to near HD. I'm not just talking about HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. They might be stripping component out access for cable and satellite HD content as well. :mad:

Yes, but in a few years content providers will start REQUIRING HDCP enabled devices for even HD playback.
There is a trend to move to digital transmission, just like in broadcasting. I think HDCP will be the norm for DRM-ed material.
But non-DRM footage (home made recordings) will be playable an any player/TV.
They already require it for upconverting SD DVD to near HD.
Just use an HTPC - no such headaches... :p

Diogen.

Just use an HTPC - no such headaches... :p

Yeah, no high res audio, a how long wait to legally play BD+ titles? Let me shut up as this isn't the HTPC war zone.

Anyhoo, this fury is a GREAT thing for HTPC owners. Many of the cheaper DVI enabled LCD monitors don't have HDCP compatibility I've read. There are LOT of those out there.

Ok - I finally got the thing.
Then I had to spend a whole day going to comp usa's and bestbuys and circuit citys to find a female hdmi to male dvi-d adapter.
But it was worth it!
It does EXACTLY what it says.
I have three old monitors.
One lcd and 2 crts.
The lcd can do up to 1920x1200 (or something like that, it can handle at least 1080) as can one of the crts. The other is only capable of the equivalent of 720p. (When you try 1080 on this one it says "out of range")
But 1080p looks amazing on these screens! And 720p looks amazing on the other one.
It is true - when the tv's are smaller - you almost can't tell a difference between the two.
Either way it is nice to have so-called "full hd" on a screen that did not cost me 1500 dollars!
And from what I said earlier in the discussion about maybe not needing it - I HAD to have it to get the ps3's hdmi into the vgas. The 360 does not need it if you have the vga chord for it and will do 1080p on screens that support it anyway. (now I need the xbox hd player and some kind of vga switch so I can get them both into the screen without manually having to change them every time!)
Now I am on a quest to find the biggest old lcd monitors I can find that support higher resolutions.
Anyone know where I might could find these? The only local place that sells used lcd's says they go out the door as soon as they get them.
To have 1080p for this much cheaper while at the same time not having to throw old equipment away makes me a happy gamer/blu-ray viewer!
-phil

Ok - I finally got the thing.
Then I had to spend a whole day going to comp usa's and bestbuys and circuit citys to find a female hdmi to male dvi-d adapter.
But it was worth it!
It does EXACTLY what it says.
I have three old monitors.
One lcd and 2 crts.
The lcd can do up to 1920x1200 (or something like that, it can handle at least 1080) as can one of the crts. The other is only capable of the equivalent of 720p. (When you try 1080 on this one it says "out of range")
But 1080p looks amazing on these screens! And 720p looks amazing on the other one.
It is true - when the tv's are smaller - you almost can't tell a difference between the two.
Either way it is nice to have so-called "full hd" on a screen that did not cost me 1500 dollars!
And from what I said earlier in the discussion about maybe not needing it - I HAD to have it to get the ps3's hdmi into the vgas. The 360 does not need it if you have the vga chord for it and will do 1080p on screens that support it anyway. (now I need the xbox hd player and some kind of vga switch so I can get them both into the screen without manually having to change them every time!)
Now I am on a quest to find the biggest old lcd monitors I can find that support higher resolutions.
Anyone know where I might could find these? The only local place that sells used lcd's says they go out the door as soon as they get them.
To have 1080p for this much cheaper while at the same time not having to throw old equipment away makes me a happy gamer/blu-ray viewer!
-phil

Not used but excellent pricing nonetheless:
Samsung SyncMaster 245BW Widescreen LCD Monitor : Monitors from Overstock.com

Thanks! 1080p for 400$ That's a bargain! This one is probably hdcp compliant already though - but I might just get one anyway!

But how will the Fury hold up when companies start revoking HDCP keys?
How will ANYTHING hold up if they do that?
I mean, won't EVERYTHING stop working correctly then?
That is like when they start changing the encryption on dvds to make it harder for people to copy - and it wont work right for the people who actually paid for it - only the theives who have completely removed the protection.
I guess the company will let you send it back to get updated keys for a fee. Good point.
-phil

Thanks! 1080p for 400$ That's a bargain!
Keep in mind that this is a computer monitor, not a TV set.

No, HDCP keys are specific to each product. So studios can revoke just HDFury keys if they choose so, and once the device is added to the revocation list, it may stop working: it will no longer be able to decrypt the HDMI stream. The revocation list is encoded on the disks and may arrive with the new titles.

I don't know if they will do that or not. I am just explaining that this is possible.

There has to be good reason for the HDCP keys to be revoked (it is not like regular AACS updates every 90 days).
Compromising a device would be one such good reason. At the moment no such devices exist.

If ICT is turned on and studios insist on downconversion over analog (I don't think this will ever happen), HD Fury's keys might be revoked.
I guess the company will let you send it back to get updated keys for a fee.
Can't be done.
It is a provision in HDCP lisensing that the key is burned into non-volatile memory. Updating such a key means replacing the chip.
Replacing the device is more likely than replacing the chip.

Also, if you happen to end up having a device which HDCP key is revoked, there is a reason why studios don't want it to function.

Diogen.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that this is a computer monitor, not a TV set.
Yes, but with a satellite box, ps3, hdmi dvd player, and 360 - I ONLY use my hdtv like a computer monitor anyway.
I very rarely use the over the air part/tv part of it anyway.
Is there any difference other than that?
-phil

Yes, but with a satellite box, ps3, hdmi dvd player, and 360 - I ONLY use my hdtv like a computer monitor anyway.
I very rarely use the over the air part/tv part of it anyway.
Is there any difference other than that?
-phil
Yes, computer monitors are not guaranteed to support the same resolutions, aspect ratios, etc.
Most wide-screen computer monitors are 16:10, not 16:9, for example. What happens when you send a 1920x1080i signal to it instead of its native 1920x1200? It depends on particular brand of the monitor. You better check before you buy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts