HD & SD = suck for sports

Ominous1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Watching football every Sunday drives me up the wall because its clear that the HD feed I see is still being produced for the masses still using a 4x3 SD TV. The QB drops back and the camera follows him even though I have like 1/3 of a screen behind him (to the right) showing me nothing but grass, while in front of him I see the line and maybe a safety, but where are the receivers? I have a wide screen TV darnit...why can't they use it.

How about the poor folks still with the SD just get a letter boxed version of the HD game on their TV ;)

It would look "more cinematic"

Yeah, I noticed that too. When I switched from HD Soccer on WorldSport to HD Football on Sunday, I was kind of disappointed with the way it was shot: not panoramic enough! It is definitely targeted to smaller non-HD TV sets!

P.S. I moved this thread to Chit Chat, as it is not exactly VOOM News, but if you prefer to see it in another forum, e.g. Customer Comments, or Current Programming, let me know. ;)

I agree with the Ominous1's complaints, but somehow I doubt that it's gonna change anytime soon - :( - probably not until the widescreen HD sets outnumber the 4x3 SD ones. Could be a while. Until then, I'll just enjoy the better picture quality and sound. :)

I am not a sports fan, but I do notice that on most sports they put the logos and scores in places that even when cropped to 4:3, they are still visible. I agree, they need to start going ALL hd with no compromises and just letterbox a SD version.

Although not a big sports fan, I love watching boxing in HD.

--Dan