hd test pattern on hdnet tuesday morning

korsjs

Welcome To SatelliteGuys
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 25, 2004
Land O Lakes, FL
hd test pattern on hdnet and inhd

hdnet has the hd test pattern running this tuesday morning from 800 - 810.

the last time i watched one of these, i didn't have time to figure out what setting to adjust for what pattern. i am going to record it this time, but if anyone can give a brief explanation, i would apreciate it.

I just record mine. It is a good test for aspect ratios and skip times on HD programming. I've got a large amount of overscan on my Sony as well and this allows me to get a good idea of the severity......

I used it today, as I figured out how to get in my service menu and finally got the overscan setup correctly on my bedroom TV.

Best bet to learn what these tests are pick up a copy of of Video Essentials or AVIA and they explain everything to you and what it all means.

Yup TV is ok. On my set to adjust it I need a HD signal, and with AVIA or Digital Video Essentials I can't do it.

Actually the set it looking very good now. :D

Scott, I just received my Avia DVD today. I have only done the basic calibrations for color, brightness, contrast & sharpness. After that I did the convergence from the USER menu I AM NOTHING SHORT OF AMAZED AT THE CLARITY AND DEFINITION. I have NEVER seen a TV that looks as good as mine does now ... I mean EVER.

FYI the overscan on the HDNet test pattern is off.

None of this is exactly breaking news but if anyone has not run Avia you should run out and get it. I would have never believed things could look this good.

EDIT: I also removed the diamond shield (glare screen) prior to the Super Bowl this weekend. It has made the picture better by eliminating glare and widening my viewing angle. I have 4 windows in my HT area. One of them, the largest, sits directly behind the couch. After removing the diamond shield from my Mitsu I am able to watch television during the day with little to no light impact with this window open. If I had to make a comparison, I would say it was like removing a mirror that sat on top of my screen.

I ran the Avia disc on my 24" Sony Vega this weekend too. 4:3 NTSC, again, amazing results. This TV actually has cable hooked up and it was a large improvement. On a scale of 1-10 I rate the DVD as an 8.5. The only thing it could do better is explain the advanced patterns, but I have found a place to read up on all this and it was worth the time.

How do you run Avia or Digital Video Essentials on your HD input? I mean, I am using a HDMI port and my DVD player doesnt support that.
So I'd need a component to HDMI adapter, or RGB(VGA) to HDMI adapter if I was going to run it from my laptop.

suggestions?

i think they have one on inhd as well. i have it set to record to see how that one stacks up against hdnets. i hope they give some explanation.

ok, just got done watching inhd hd test pattern and it is ten times better than hdnets. it gives easy to follow directions for each test pattern and has a 5.1 test and setup at the end. it lasts around 12 minutes. i highly recommend it.

korsjs said:
hdnet has the hd test pattern running this tuesday morning from 800 - 810.

the last time i watched one of these, i didn't have time to figure out what setting to adjust for what pattern. i am going to record it this time, but if anyone can give a brief explanation, i would apreciate it.

Follow this link. It'll at the very least get your contrast & brightness settings pretty close to where they should be. And by all means get yourself a copy of Avia or Digital Video Essentials. I've got DVE.

http://www.smartcalibration.com/hdnetpatterns.html

Newbie here... I j ust bought a Hitachi 51" 2 weeks ago. I'm interested in trying out a calibration disc, but the user reviews on Amazon all seem to complain that there aren't enough instructions in how to actually use the tests. Is this right? Where could a complete video novice find the info I need to get something useful out of one of these discs? TIA....

-Tim
Minneapolis

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yes Amazon has them

AVIA is expensive compaired to the new Digital Video Essentials which both offer the same tweeking tips and patterns.

welcome to satelliteguys. go with one of the ones that Scott recommends. the links are on the first page. i have heard nothing but good things about the discs. if you get a hddvr, make sure you record the hdnet or inhd hd test patterns.

don't be a stranger around here, come back and visit often.