HD-VMD PLayer????? WTF

Dead if it never gets movie supoort. The list of movies they are claiming seems iffy to me as no where else but their website could I find anything. Heck, from what I gather, it's already handicapped in capcaity. Day late I'm afraid.

Considering China is the media pirate capital of the world, I don't see studios jumping on board in a big way.

This isn't the Chinese version. China has CH DVD. This is yet another format. So far it has limited support (Bollywood and a little U.S. support).

China may be producing these players, but I believe its actually India-centric (aimed originally at Bollywood releases) and the technology goes back to the FMD disc technology developed by Constellation3D a few years back (even though they have used their lawyers to obscure the connection--the company didn't fare well when they faked an HD disc demo and subsequently collapsed). FMD, fluorescent multilayer disc, did away with light reflective layers in the disc structure and used fluorescent dyes on clear polymer sheets that glowed on/off at certain bandwidths when hit by the laser instead (to the eye, the disc looks 'clear'--very Superman). This meant that you could, theoretically, layer dozens of thin dye layers per side rather than the 3-4 max in reflective disc technology, and thus the capacities would be much, much greater. It was a combo Russian/American/Israeli development, with offices/labs in Ireland as well. FMD was extremely promising, with potential capacities with blue laser to exceed 100GB per disc...VMD is the Chinese/Indian lowest-common-denominator red laser application.

Look up the article(s) on FMD, especially the write-ups from 2000/01 in 'Widescreen Review'...it could've been great. It SHOULD have been our next gen disc format and the fact that its watered-down legacy tech is trailing its way to market on being "cheap" is very sad. They were even in talks w/ Sonic to adapt/develop DVD authoring systems for the fledgeling format as early as 2002. It was poised to blow the lid of reflective disc tech capacities (CD/DVD and now Bluray/HD-DVD)...enough to carry over until holographic storage, anyways.

Compare VMD:

NME - New Medium Enterprises - HD VMD, High Definition Players and Movies

to FMD (sorry the old Constellation3d website is long down, and I couldn't find a link to the long in-depth Widescreen article on the format)...

DVD Reviews, Home Theater Equipment Reviews, Home Theatre Setup Audio Video Equipment Review, Widescreen Review Webzine

DVD Reviews, Home Theater Equipment Reviews, Home Theatre Setup Audio Video Equipment Review, Widescreen Review Webzine

Design-Ireland.net - Web Design Articles and Tutorials

Yep...FMD was the Tucker automobile of HD optical disc.

Last edited: