HDDVD pq on my DLP

HD#1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Los Angeles
This may have been covered but when I am watching Transformers on the darker scenes I am getting flikering and grain on the PQ, is it my TV or that is just how they made to disc? Is there anything I can do to fix that problem? Called Samsung they said its not the TV

Called Samsung they said its not the TV
Like we've never heard that answer before. Samsung, like Micro$oft, denies categorically that there is anything wrong until they've identified a fix or someone has publicly outed them on it. See HDMI issues threads.

You should check out the disc on another player and confirm that the problem isn't there. You should also do a visual inspection of the disc surface and look for signs of dust, lint or discoloration.

Just FYI the scene I am talking about is where all the autobots come to earth that is the scene that I see a lot of grain, I will check if its the disk but dont think so should I switch the HDMI put the side I put in the TV to the DVD player and vice versa will that help?

I would try some basic isolation troubleshooting. The following are not necessarily in the best order for fast isolation, rather, they're in the order I thought of them!

(1) Connect your A30 via component rather than HDMI. If this fixes the problem, you've eliminated the disc itself as the root cause. Could still be the player, the cable, or your HDTV. If it doesn't fix it, you've gained no new information.

(2) Try a friends Transformers disc in your existing setup. A different way to answer the same question as (1).

(3) Take your A30, your disc, and your HDMI cable over to a friends house and try it on their HDTV. If it works, you've isolated the problem down to your HDTV, or some interaction between your A30 and your TV.

(4) Replace your A30 with a friends player. Use your disc, HDMI cable and HDTV.

(5) If (4) still shows the problem, find a different friend with a different model of player, maybe an A2, A30, etc. Use your same disc, HDMI cable, and HDTV.

Bottom line: Try as many different combinations of disc, player, model of player, cable, connection (HDMI vs. component), and HDTV as possible - but be sure to only change ONE thing at a time, and take notes on whether the problem cleared or persisted. It is probably one thing that is the root cause of your problem, and you just need to isolate what it is. But keep in mind that it could be an interaction between two things - your player and HDTV being the most probable.

The above process will be much more fruitful if you have an unlimited number of friends, that have different models of HDDVD players, who all own the HDDVD version of Transformers, and don't mind you messing with their systems!

[ p.s. - The one big assumption in all the above is that your have a real problem. i.e., the Transformers disc normally plays for other people without the flaws you've noted. If what you're experiencing is the norm for everyone else, you can troubleshoot until you're blue in the face with zero results. I don't have Transformers on HDDVD so I can't tell you my personal experiences. ]

...I will check if its the disk but dont think so should I switch the HDMI put the side I put in the TV to the DVD player and vice versa will that help?

Huh?

Seriously, I don't understand what you're saying here.

What specific model Samsung 50" LED DLP TV do you have?

Do you notice this artifact on any other HD DVD's?

Those of us with HD DVD players and the Transformers disc will probably look into this for you if you'll reveal the time point for the scene in question.

If you haven't done it yet, turn off DNIe on your Samsung TV while watching HD DVDs (or any other decent quality HD content). DNIe may make you think that it's sharpening up the picture, but what it's actually doing is adding edge enhancement (something HD doesn't need), lots of noise, and crushed blacks. The only thing DNIe actually helps is poor quality SD that was never intended to be displayed on a high res display. DNIe is probably defaulted to "on" on your TV.

Good luck and let us know what you find out!

I just spoke to Toshiba and they said that the problem will be solved with a Firmware update, does anyone know if thats true?

I just spoke to Toshiba and they said that the problem will be solved with a Firmware update, does anyone know if thats true?

I have a A20 connected to a Mitsubishi DLP. I have no such issues. Are you outputting 1080i60, 1080p60 or 1080p24 to your Samsung?

You did turn off all noise reduction, edge enhancement, deep field imaging, etc., right? You did calibrate your display, right?

Cool.

The A20,A30,A35 have issues outputting to 1080p60. I'm not sure if that's what they meant.

BTW, Transformers has a good bit of grain in it. That's film. Flickering? I don't recall any.

If you haven't done it yet, turn off DNIe on your Samsung TV while watching HD DVDs (or any other decent quality HD content). DNIe may make you think that it's sharpening up the picture, but what it's actually doing is adding edge enhancement (something HD doesn't need), lots of noise, and crushed blacks. The only thing DNIe actually helps is poor quality SD that was never intended to be displayed on a high res display. DNIe is probably defaulted to "on" on your TV.

:up

DNIe is worthless unless you're watching a Native 480 SD broadcast.

Yes. I have the A30 here and found one HD DVD to be problematic. Ironically it was the one that came with the player- 300. It would get to one scene and stutter and pause and lock up with an error code requiring a reboot to play again. This problem has been fixed in the latest firmeware upgrade. ver 1.3.

Now regarding your comments on grain. Many films have grain in the image by director design. Get used to it! Regular SD DVD's didn'ty have the resolution and picture detail to see this and many film prints were just lacking detail. HD DVD and BluRay both will show the film grain and special film processing as the director requested. Get used to it because many Directors like to play these games. Movie film is a fantasy so it's the Director's idea of what that fantasy should look like.

You can download the new firmware on their website. You then burn it to a CD using ISO image burn software. It takes about 12 minutes to complete the upgrade. It works! There may be other issues with the player but I haven't run across any. Hope this helps.

Okay I just put in the firmware update and still having the same issues the scene that I see the most is Scene #10 in Transformers

Okay I just put in the firmware update and still having the same issues the scene that I see the most is Scene #10 in Transformers

Just checked mine. I have to agree with Don - it's the way the director wanted the scene shot.

Just watched 10 on my A2 and Sony RPLCD, looks good to me.

What little bit I did notice seems to be intended.

I still love the negative reaction to 300 when it came out. The PRO and CON of HD movies is that you see flaws and how the movie was intended to be seen.

...I still love the negative reaction to 300 when it came out. The PRO and CON of HD movies is that you see flaws and how the movie was intended to be seen.

Yeah, and I thought it [300] was beautifully done. Just like a graphic novel as intended. I really liked the PIP of the "raw" footage. It really opened my eyes to what the effects do.

We watched transformers last night on our Mitsu DLP with the 360 HD-DVD add on and I did not have any problems.

Recorded Transformers from HD-PPV, awesome movie/picture quality, but some scenes did have grain... I will unbox the HD-DVD player in a few days, is there really much difference by eye in 1080I vs 1080p ?

Recorded Transformers from HD-PPV, awesome movie/picture quality, but some scenes did have grain... I will unbox the HD-DVD player in a few days, is there really much difference by eye in 1080I vs 1080p ?

No, but there is a difference between cropped downrezzed bit starved Dish Network PPV movies and full-bit rate OAR high def optical discs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)