HDDVD vs BluRay Round one

tawhite said:
JoeSP, I agree we should wait for things to shake out before declaring one technology superior. The point I would have to make is based on what equipment you can currently evaluate in your local BB. HD DVD, IMO, has offered a better first impression. I directly compaired the two recently and found the PQ on the Toshiba HD DVD much better that the Samsung BR. The artifact on the BR was terrible! If Joe Public has even the slightest ability to discern varying levels of PQ he will say, "Damn, worse PG for more $$$" and that will hurt BR and be hard to overcome even as better hardware comes out.

Good points. :up

And, Mr. 6 Pak, while Pioneer is in the Blur-ray camp, Denon is neutral, with no announced players for either high def format.

As both my HDTV & A/V Receiver both say "Sony" on them, I am no Sony hater. But the XA1 is the best "bang for the buck" component I've added to my Home Theater system in years. When I looked at the Samsung BD demos at BB & CC my jaw dropped open - I still can't believe just how bad they looked. Some scenes of "XXX" on the BD demo disk made my standard DVD copy look better. Yes, a little early to declare one format superior & better . . . but Sony laid one big, embarassing egg with those first BD disc releases & letting Samsung deliver the first BD player. :hatsoff:

HD DVD will win to John Q Public because they will see the "DVD" in the name and think 'this is what I already have' And that Blu-ray is more $$$$ and I can not see a difference. I still like my DTS Laser disk player over DVD MOST of the time.

JoeSP - I agree with most of what you say, but it's not just beta vs VHS. Memories of SACD vs DVD-A are fresh in my mind. I have "darned" few DVD-As. I wish I had more, but the 2 formats killed each other off, for all practical purposes.

We might have 2 co-existing formats, but probably only if dual players become common and not excessively expensive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts