HDMI cable-which one?

Audie

Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
I purchased my first LCD high def TV over the weekend. There was a Comcast employee in Best Buy to talk to about high def. By signing up with him, I should (I'll believe it when I see it) get a $100.00 Best Buy gift card. My options for high def are the $7.00 per month box or the $11.95 per month box with DVR. I understand that the more expensive one would allow me to use a HDMI cable directly from the box to my new television and avoid all the extra cables that would be installed with the cheaper box. The HDMI cable is supposed to give better reception (?) due to fewer cables splitting the signal. However, I don't want to spend $100 for a cable. A few quick searches showed that there are many that are much cheaper. Would those work just as well as the monster high priced cable? Do I need to look for something specific? Any assistance or information you can provide would be appreciated. Thank you!! I'm hoping to call to order either tomorrow (Tuesday, 9/11) or Wednesday.

I purchased one for about $35. I don't remember where, but I use it to hookup my 3412 to the TV. The picture quality is a little bit better, and sound quality is much better (going through the TV). I have noticed one issue with the setup. Every once and a while the picture will go blank. Turning on and off the TV fixes it. I've heard that its an HDMI handshaking problem with the 3412. My DVD also uses an HDMI connection and I've never experienced the problem

I would highly suggest the HDMI route. Look for a cable of 24AWG (or better). Most of the cheap cables are 28AWG. Many use Monoprice.com for their cables. HDMI 28AWG can be had for under $10. 24AWG run $20-$30.

Thank you, berck. Another question. What is AWG? From your note it looks like a lower number is better, correct? Sorry for my lack of knowledge. I realize I have lots to learn.

Thank you, berck. Another question. What is AWG? From your note it looks like a lower number is better, correct? Sorry for my lack of knowledge. I realize I have lots to learn.

American Wire Gauge. Lower numbers are thicker cables, which maintain the HDMI signal quality better at longer distances, but are less flexible. If you have a six/eight-foot cable 28AWG is fine.

American Wire Gauge. Lower numbers are thicker cables, which maintain the HDMI signal quality better at longer distances, but are less flexible. If you have a six/eight-foot cable 28AWG is fine.

Comcast's HDMI signal is weak coming from those Moto boxes. This is the reason to stick with the thicker better cable. Less line loss.

BTW: Your welcome Audie. As texasbit said, the lower number means thicker cable. If you want to know more, look Here

Comcast's HDMI signal is weak coming from those Moto boxes. This is the reason to stick with the thicker better cable. Less line loss.

BTW: Your welcome Audie. As texasbit said, the lower number means thicker cable. If you want to know more, look Here

Thanks for the info on Comcast. 28AWG is OK on the DirecTV boxes.

I purchased a 24AWG 6ft. HDMI to HDMI cable from monoprice.com. With shipping it was only $18.73. So glad I didn't spend more money at a local store! It arrived quickly and Comcast came today and hooked it up to a Motorola DCH3416 box. So far so good except that I just noticed that even though it is off it makes a weird clicking clicking sound. It doesn't look like a brand new box, just recycled to me. I think I'll search further to see if there is info regarding this model. berek--thanks again for the suggestion to checkout monoprice.com

Good luck Audie. I've heard it from installers that those boxes are hit and miss. If you get one that works fairly well, be thankful. I've heard of people that send them back and it takes about two to three times before they get one that works well. Sometimes the replacement is worse than the one you started with. Mine has been tolerable, so I haven't pushed it. I don't get any clicking thankfully.

Moto DVR site for reference

Don't forget to program the 30 skip into your remote!

Skip 30? I'm guessing it is a 30 second skip to fast forward through commercials? If not, guess I have a lot more to learn. I'll spend sometime with it this weekend. I'll check the link you included in your posting, berck. Thanks again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)