HDMI Cable ???

mraudit

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Omaha, NE
I am now really confused. I am getting a new LCD HD TV this week for the living room. I have upgraded my old 522 to a new 622. I went to Mono Price, as suggested on here by many, to get some new cables instead of buying my ususal Monster Cables. However, I am totally confused now!!!

What do I get??? There were 22AWG, 24AWG, 26AWG, and 28AWG. Also, do I get 1.3 or 1.3a?? What is Category 2???

I am hooking up a 622 to a new 40" Samsung, or Sony, HDTV.

Please help!!!

Thanks,
Tim

I am now really confused. I am getting a new LCD HD TV this week for the living room. I have upgraded my old 522 to a new 622. I went to Mono Price, as suggested on here by many, to get some new cables instead of buying my ususal Monster Cables. However, I am totally confused now!!!

What do I get??? There were 22AWG, 24AWG, 26AWG, and 28AWG. Also, do I get 1.3 or 1.3a?? What is Category 2???

I am hooking up a 622 to a new 40" Samsung, or Sony, HDTV.

Please help!!!

Thanks,
Tim

If it is 6 feet or less, any of them will do. Up to 15 feet, get 1.3a if possible, not because of the label but because they have been tested to ensure that the cable supports that specification when it gets used in the future.

Longer than 20 feet, you should get the heaviest gauge cable possible. HDMI success at long distances depends on low cable and interconnect impedance and high bandwidth capacity. Typically a heavier gauge cable will have less impedance and allow a greater bandwidth. It's not always guaranteed, but it usually works fine.

Tin plated or silver plated can make a difference depending on any wall plates, extensions, amps, or switches you place in the circuit. These things can all change the impedance and could cause the signal to fail.

Category 2 cables are rated to support the bandwidth necessary to handle up to 1600p (340mhz). Category 1 cables are only rated to support 720p/1080i signals.

A word of caution. Regardless of which supplier you choose to buy from or what grade HDMI cable you use, install the cable in your tv and sat receiver...CAREFULLY. This will avoid damage to the chassis plug inside the hardware. Remember to properly support the cable AT BOTH ENDS.

Thanks for all your help. I ended up buying 4, 6ft 1.3, 28AWG, HDMI cables. For a total of $28 including shipping, if they do not work, I'm out only a couple of bucks. I will be pissed if they work the same as my $100 3ft monster cables.

Thanks for all your help. I ended up buying 4, 6ft 1.3, 28AWG, HDMI cables. For a total of $28 including shipping, if they do not work, I'm out only a couple of bucks. I will be pissed if they work the same as my $100 3ft monster cables.

Then you will be pissed. Monoprice cables are the best. The only thing I can say is they are TOO GOOD. The long ones, high gauge are huge cables but that is necessary for long runs.

They will and you will be. ;) WHO sold you a $100.00 3' Monster cable???????

As they said, prepare to be pissed. I am 100% sure that you will see no difference in picture quality. Sucks that you got hosed on the $100 cable, sorry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts