HDMI Causing Tuner 2 to lock up???

GNASH

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
Between Kalamazoo & GR. MI
Hi all,

This seems totally weird to me, so I thought I would contact all of you and see if anyone else has seen this or has any reasonable (or at this point we will even accept unreasonable) explanations.

We have had major issues with our HD Receivers over the past year. The Hard Drives on them seem to die within about a month of getting them. No one can give us any explanation of what could be causing it. Knowing that, we contacted the Executive Communications Team.

They offered to get us a 722k because he believed that would resolve the issues. Not sure if it will, but that is what he offered, so we accepted the upgrade.

They installed the new 722k this morning and we have enjoyed it all day. Then the weird stuff begins. Dad decided to go to bed and shut off our Onkyo Audio Receiver and the TV. Went to their room and within about 30 seconds, the Video and Audio on Tuner 2 (their room, which is hooked up via Coax to the Home Distribution).

After talking to Tech Support (which I am thinking may have been a problem), the tech support person decided it is a bad receiver and they will RMA it back. Just for kicks, I decided to play a little after getting off the phone. In talking to Dad, he said he only shut off the AV Receiver and TV. The Sat Receiver is hooked up to the Front Room TV via HDMI and Component. Just for kicks, I disconnected the HDMI and it seems to have solved the issues.

I unhooked it so that only the Component Cables are hooked up to the Sat Receiver and in the 15 minutes since, Tuner 2 has not locked up.

Has anyone with a 722K experienced a situtation where HDMI on Tuner 1 seems to cause Tuner 2 to lock up when the HDMI is shut off (the TV or AV Receiver)????

Any thoughts would be appreciated,
Geoff

On my 622, shutting off the device connected to the HDMI output (while it still worked) would cause the component output to black out, but if I remember rightly it always came back on its own in a few seconds. I never tried the TV2 output because I run in single mode.

I have dealt with that same problem and spent a couple hours trying to figure it out.I have come to the conclusion that it is a software problem that as a big surprise no one will admit is a problem only solution I have found that has remedied this until new software is rolled is to connect via component cables

I have dealt with that same problem and spent a couple hours trying to figure it out.I have come to the conclusion that it is a software problem that as a big surprise no one will admit is a problem only solution I have found that has remedied this until new software is rolled is to connect via component cables
Thanks HiFi. I thought it was unique. Maybe not. On a related note, I e-mailed the person that did the upgrade and will let you know if I hear anything.

Geoff

Not your only problem

What I'm seeing is there is more of a problem than the output 2 not working. You keep having DVR's go bad. This could be a ground problem in your electrical system. This problem with output 2 may be a bug but the fast dying DVR's is much more of a problem.

What I'm seeing is there is more of a problem than the output 2 not working. You keep having DVR's go bad. This could be a ground problem in your electrical system. This problem with output 2 may be a bug but the fast dying DVR's is much more of a problem.
Agreed. We have had techs out and no one can seem to find a problem. Dad is an electrician and he also can not detect any kind of problem. The last person we talked to from Dish is hoping that the 722k will solve it.

Geoff

phase

Agreed. We have had techs out and no one can seem to find a problem. Dad is an electrician and he also can not detect any kind of problem. The last person we talked to from Dish is hoping that the 722k will solve it.

Geoff

Has your dad checked to see if the 2 rooms have different phases on the electricity and maybe that the two are causing power to leak back to receiver (thru the coax) making to high a voltage on the unit? Also do you have cable coming into the entertainment center that has voltage riding on it and getting to the home theater center?

Same HDMI issue on my 722k

I have the exact same issue. I went almost a year with a 722 with no problems. In the last month I have went through two of them. When I would wake up in the moring the fan would be on 100% and no response from the box. Usually I would have to unplug the box for about 30 minutes before it would come back. When I called the DISH about the second 722 they said they had a flag that said the hard drive had failed. After speaking with them they decided to send me a 722k as a replacement for no charge. I go the 722k activated this week. After the initial setup on TV1 I turned off the tv and went to TV2 to find out there was just static. I have TV1 connected via HDMI. After playing around I determined that in order to use TV2 TV1 had to be turned on. I can even leave the 722k on with the TV1 off and still cannot use TV2. When TV1 is off the 722k does not respond to any commands from the remote from TV1 or TV2. Tonight I will be on the phone with DISH again. I haven't tried the component cables yet, don't really want to resort back to the ice ages.

Um, what? Unless you're using dental floss for cables, component should look as good as HDMI for any sane viewing distance, AND doesn't carry any handshake issues, legal or otherwise.

Update on our Situation...

Just wanted to update those that have the 722k and expressed that they have the same issue with Tuner2 locking up when Tuner1 has HDMI hooked up and turned off.

I have been e-mailing a guy with Advanced Tech Support (his name is James), and he has passed the information on to Engineering. They had some questions and suggestions for us (none of which worked), but they also wanted to get the log files off the 722k, so I uploaded them to them and am waiting to hear what else they want to try.

Our 722k has been working fine with the HDMI unplugged and using only Component Cables, but I am hoping they will solve this soon so we can go back to using HDMI. I also have a new 722k (they chose to replace it rather than have me talk to Advanced Tech Support, and then I got in contact with Advanced Tech Support after the order was placed) and will be hooking it up tomorrow evening (after work and when we have no timers scheduled to activate so we won't lose anything.

Geoff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)