HDMI + optical audio setup options

JEFFinINDY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
I have an Onkyo TX674 receiver that's about 5 years old, but it's working great. It has only 2 HDMI inputs, and I just added an Apple TV as my third HDMI device, so I'm playing musical cables to get an easy-to-use configuration that doesn't require two remotes.

Previously, I had my Dish 922 and Blu-ray player connected via HDMI to the receiver, and a single HDMI cable connected to the receiver's HDMI out port to the TV. Worked great. Now that I have three HDMI devices, I've connected each of the three directly to the TV, and run an optical audio cable from the TV (out) to the receiver (in).

This also seems to be working great, but I'm wondering about the optical audio part - is it as good as HDMI audio? Do most TVs pass an unaltered audio stream through their optical out (the TV is a Samsung LED DLP about 3 or 4 years old). I have the receiver set to "PCM Direct", which from what I understand means that the the receiver will receive the digital signal as-is from the source and decode it.

The other configuration I could try would be to use HDMI to the receiver for the Blu-Ray and Apple TV, and connect the Dish 922 via component and optical audio, and maintain the single HDMI out from the receiver to the TV (this receiver can handle component to HDMI conversion). Are there any benefits one way or the other?

TIA,
Jeff

It depends on your TV. Many will only pass the front channels from the TV out and strip off the surround info. However, the newer sets are more likely to pass through the entire 5.1 stream.

There are some bandwidth compromises. The HDMI has an uncompressed audio stream which must be compressed to fit within the bandwidth of the optical cable. However, the loss is somewhat subtle.

On my own setup with an Onkyo 605 I use the component upconversion method from the cable box. This isn't really a compromise because the cable generally limits audio (and video ) bandwidth already.

Jay... thanks! Do you know about when sets started passing through the full surround sound channels? I'm going to try to find the user manual for this set to confirm, but I turned on Predators on HBO and it sounds really good with as much surround as I can get with just a sound bar.

Thanks again...

Well, I just found the user manual online for this set and only the OTA antenna input will send 5.1 out of the optical. The other inputs send only stereo output through the optical out port. Grrr...

Very few sets offer 5.1 out of the optical except for the OTA tuner. Switch would work. Just carefully look at the reviews. I had a monoprice switch that would not work with one of my BD players and had to send it back.

S~

Personally, I would go back to the suggestion of using component and optical for the cable box. The quality simply isn't there to justify the HDMI connection and since the receiver will upconvert, you save an extra box, and the added complexity of additional switching with yet another remote.

If you do get the external HDMI switch, I would recommend you also invest in a Harmony remote so you can integrate the whole mess.

Would work. You really don't lose anything with the DVR, unless you do PPV. Many switches will autodetect the input signal and switch automatically.

S~

You definitly want to keep Blu-ray connected via HDMI to your receiver - that's where HDMI will make the biggest difference in audio quality.

As for using component cable for the receiver, I would agree, it makes sense. IMHO this may even improve the picture, by making some compression artifacts less noticeable... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Well, the component cables didn't work so well. There were a lot of wavy lines and interference in the picture, and the TV had problems staying locked in to the image. Not sure if the problem was with the 922 or the Onkyo receiver, but it wasn't good (I tried 2 sets of cables).

So... I'm going to upgrade that receiver at some point to something with 3 or more HDMI inputs. I need to see what's good in the receiver market these days without spending a fortune.

I also tend to agree. One question. Is everything in your system on the same circuit? If not, the equipment can be on alternate phases, and this can aggravate a ground loop condition. Might be a quick and dirty way to get rid of it. Another is to use a power conditioner that isolates the equipment from the power grid, but that would cost more than replacing the receiver.

Everything is plugged into a UPS/battery backup device. Would I try plugging the receiver into the wall to eliminate the possibility of a ground loop? Or the TV?

Try a different component cable next. Is there a chance you crossed the blue and green component cables? That could cause something kinda like you describe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts