HDMI Splitter for HR44 receiver to Plasma Display with two HDMI inputs?

RLM

Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
My current AVR setup (Denon AVP-A1HDCI) does not support HDMI pass through.

So when I want to watch TV without surround sound (10 speakers), I have to select the HR44 input and then turn off the AVR. Audio, 2 channel, is then played through the speaker terminals on the Plasma, no surround sound, AVR is off.

What I want to do is use a 1X2 splitter, HDMI 1 to the AVR (when I want full 5.1 audio), HDMI 2 to the TV (2 Channel audio through the TV speakers). That way I can choose when I want AVR ON and full surround, or AVR off and just 2 channel speaker audio.

I spoke to OREI and there concern is I may not get full 5.1 audio through the AVR with the splitter.

Can anyone give me any input on how these splitters might work, and which model is best?????

Can anyone provide my any input on this discussion.

Thank you,

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 9.56.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 9.56.38 AM.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 9.58.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 9.58.06 AM.png
    71.5 KB · Views: 86
I have little experience with HDMI splitters. The one time I used one it had to be active, not passive.

I've used a few over the years. It basically fakes the HDCP and sends the signal to each output simultaneously. I believe it is most likely that it would pass through DD 5.1. You will likely lose CEC, the ability for your Directv to turn the TV on/off/input as it is powered on/off, if you are used to having that feature. Just makes sure it is an active splitter (has its own power source).