HDMI vs Component

zbender

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Colorado
typically you shouldn't be able to tell much difference between these two connections right? I have always used HDMI since the 622 was installed (at the time it came with the DVI HDMI cable)... when the HDMI went out on my 622 i switched to component for a few days waiting for the replacement 622 to arrive. i didn't notice a difference in picture quality then, but when the new one arrived, i had both on the same programming and both connected to my plasma - one on component and one on HDMI

the component connection (from either receiver) has a lot better color and brightness / clarity. I am hoping to find out why, and if there's anything I can do to improve the HDMI connection as my ONKYO receiver has the 3 HDMI inputs / one output and I love using that receiver (Bluray, PC, Vip622)

I have checked the settings on the TV for both the Component and HDMI inputs and they are set identical (to the TV's default Movie preset)

it's a Pioneer 42" plasma

on the 622, go to menu 6-8 and make sure it is set to 1080i. Other than that the picture quality should be SLIGHTLY better with the hdmi, provided you use a HDMI cable and not the DVI to HDMI cable you were reffering to...

Pioneer 42

on the 622, go to menu 6-8 and make sure it is set to 1080i. Other than that the picture quality should be SLIGHTLY better with the hdmi, provided you use a HDMI cable and not the DVI to HDMI cable you were reffering to...

I would ck but I think that the Pioneer 42" plasma's are 720p. He might want to see if 720 or 1080 looks better. Also having the 2 inputs on the set the same doesn't men that they will look the same. The HDMI may need to be calibrated differently than the component input of the set.

Last edited:
The make/model of tv seems to drive a lot of the differences from what I've seen, Samsung seems to look better on component, my Vizio and Dad's Sony look markedly better with HDMI

HDMI is pure digital and component is 3 video cables and the picture has to undergo a Digital-Analog-Digital conversion and HDMI doesn't have to undergo that conversion.

There is no difference between the 2. With both inputs properly calibrated you will seen no difference. HDMI was only pushed into use because of HDCP and for one wire connection. Reason for the jump from Component to DVI to HDMI.
Now audio wise HDMI is needed for a variety of reasons.

• Preserve the full, unaltered transmission of the new lossless Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio™ compressed digital surround sound formats between compatible A/V receivers, A/V pre-amplifier/amplifier combos, or A/V control centers and compatible A/V sources. (Note: Onkyo has just released a couple of new A/V receivers* that support HDMI 1.3a, Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio™ decoding);
• Lip Sync - automatic audio/video syncing capability (helpful whenever a large quantity of video processing occurs in 1.3a compliant A/V equipment);
• Deep Color™ - 30-bit, 36-bit and 48-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths; a larger color palette eliminates on-screen color banding for smoother transitions between colors;
• Extended color gamut (IEC 61966-2-4 color standard) "xvYCC" support. ("xvYCC" is an abbreviation for extended-gamut YCC color space for video applications.)
Is there a real difference between HDMI and component cables? - Yahoo! Answers

Typically your TV set has to be calibrated for each input. Whether you can do that with an intermediate (ONKYO) may be a problem. In any case get it out of showroom mode--typically very bright and high in contrast.

It may end up seeming rather dull for a few days but you should have an experience like watching a movie when watching one and not shielding your face. My Samsung LED DLP looks natural in movie mode with the warmest setting and reduced contrast. See the AVS boards for your model for suggested settings. Warning, my board has more than 10000 replies. Start with the last 100 and find a reference to a good initial set, maybe very early in the board.

-Ken

There is no difference between the 2. With both inputs properly calibrated you will seen no difference. HDMI was only pushed into use because of HDCP and for one wire connection. Reason for the jump from Component to DVI to HDMI.
Now audio wise HDMI is needed for a variety of reasons.

That is not completely true. I have a Hitachi plasma that is calibrated (on all inputs) and I can tell a difference between the component and HDMI. It is all how your tv processes the input. I have noticed (in doing installs) that most LCD's look better with component and most plasma's look better with HDMI. The best bet every time is to try both cables. I do agree with your second statement about HDMI being pushed for HDCP and on wire hookup.

That is not completely true. I have a Hitachi plasma that is calibrated (on all inputs) and I can tell a difference between the component and HDMI. It is all how your tv processes the input. I have noticed (in doing installs) that most LCD's look better with component and most plasma's look better with HDMI. The best bet every time is to try both cables. I do agree with your second statement about HDMI being pushed for HDCP and on wire hookup

Then one of the inputs is not calibrated correctly. You don't calibrate each component the same and then connect. I have both connected to my DLP. The settings are different for each input but the pictures are identical.
Now would I suggest HDMI over component? Yes especially if people have all new equipment. Technology from 4 years ago has improved with manufacturers specifically developing products for HDMI- Deep color and lossless audio were not available 4 years ago.

Last edited:
That is not completely true. I have a Hitachi plasma that is calibrated (on all inputs) and I can tell a difference between the component and HDMI. It is all how your tv processes the input. I have noticed (in doing installs) that most LCD's look better with component and most plasma's look better with HDMI. The best bet every time is to try both cables. I do agree with your second statement about HDMI being pushed for HDCP and on wire hookup.

Perhaps. However, I strongly suspect that you are not doing a blind ABX type of test, in which case the preference is completely subjective & subject to the Placebo Effect. Can you really tell the difference in a blind test?

Then one of the inputs is not calibrated correctly. You don't calibrate each component the same and then connect. I have both connected to my DLP. The settings are different for each input but the pictures are identical.

They are not calibrated the same. I have component and HDMI hooked up to 2 different inputs and a blu ray player hooked up to 2 different inputs. Each input is calibrated independently from each other. On both the 622 and Blu ray I can tell the HDMI has a better picture quality. Even the guy who came out from the ISF said the same. He also said it depends on the tv. Do you have an older DLP? My dad has a toshiba DLP that is about 4 years old and you can't tell much of a difference on his between component and HDMI. My plasma is only about a year old. I know the picture quality on the new DLPs is allot better that the older ones.

They are not calibrated the same. I have component and HDMI hooked up to 2 different inputs and a blu ray player hooked up to 2 different inputs. Each input is calibrated independently from each other. On both the 622 and Blu ray I can tell the HDMI has a better picture quality. Even the guy who came out from the ISF said the same. He also said it depends on the tv. Do you have an older DLP? My dad has a toshiba DLP that is about 4 years old and you can't tell much of a difference on his between component and HDMI. My plasma is only about a year old. I know the picture quality on the new DLPs is allot better that the older ones.

Its a 2006 model. Old by today standards- pre 1.3 compliant

Its a 2006 model. Old by today standards- pre 1.3 compliant
Yes but I am sure it has a good picture. Mine is probably old by todays standards. I like DLP technology, just don't know if it will be around in a couple of years. Seems like they keep improving picture quality on all the sets. You just have to be happy with what you have and not try to chase the technology.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts