HDTV and Digital concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdretc

Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
I have an interesting dilemma. I have satellite from Starchoice and planning to buy the DSR505 HD receiver from them to go with my new HD-compatible LCD TV display. The problem is that I just realized that my new TV display only has analog video in (YPrPb) and no HDMI or DVI. Am I screwed? Is there any disadvantage to picture quality to converting the digital signal to analog?

Another question: I'm also looking at changing this set to one that has an HDMI plug. But the DSR505 receiver only has a DVI out. Can HDMI be converted to DMI with a toggle?

Thanks for the opinions.

I've never noticed any PQ difference on my RP between YPrPb and DVI-D. Both are excellent.
There is a dongle for DVI<->HDMI, but you'd need to run audio cables as well.
And welcome. :wave

Thanks mdonnelly. That's what I thought... What I don't get is what's all the fuss about staying digital? There must be some advantage...

Good questions

If you were to connect both YPbPr and DVI-HDMI to your tv from the same source to your tv you would notice a difference, especially from an HD satellite receiver. I suggest that for the best quality overall, if you can trade the receiver you bought for one with HDMI output. You'd be better off as far as utilizing digital video and audio. HDMI transfers both on a single cable. The downfall to DVI, though it has virtually similar video quality as HDMI, you need separate audio cabling whether it be optical or coaxial digital, or the regular red/white stereo cabling as it doesn't transfer audio.

I suggest, knowing that nearly all HD receivers will come equipped with optical digital output, that you get that cable in case you want to hook up your satellite receiver for Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound to a surround sound a/v receiver. If you don't have an a/v receiver then your best quality HD video and audio will be wrought by using an HDTV with integrated HD/ATSC off air tuner and integrated HDMI inputs. More than one is ideal, but one might do you alright.

Here is the LOWEST COST solution to your problem: if your receiver has HDMI output and your tv only DVI-in, then go to your nearest Best Buy or Circuit City and inquire about Monster HDMI-DVI cable. Unlike HDMI-HDMI, this cable will not transfer audio so you will need a separate audio setup. HDMI and DVI are backwards compatible so you will get the same video quality with that cable as with an HDMI-HDMI. If you have a digital audio receiver or digital optical input on your tv (most of them don't have this) then get Optical. Optical obviously is a digital audio cable that uses light to transfer sound. Being that you can't "improve" light, then even the lowest cost optical cable will give you very high quality sound, but Monster will be the sturdiest, it's up to you. So, I would get an HDMI-DVI Monster cable (I already use this on my Westinghouse LTV32w1 and it's phenomenal.

As far as audio cabling goes, you can go with stereo audio cabling but you won't be able to get true Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS sound out of your receiver with it. They are analog cables. If you have more questions about this kind of thing feel free to email me personally at geoffreychuck@gmail.com.

I hopeI haven't confused you more.

MonsterHDfreak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)