HDTV newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgw1031

Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
I am so glad I found this forum today. Being new to the HDTV world, I have many questions. I will ask a couple initially and do followups. I upgraded to a pioneer pdp-4330 plasma, a samsung sir-ts360 directv receiver, and a panasonic dvd recorder. A while ago, I purchased a pioneer dvd player with progressive scan.

First question is about the connections. A friend helped me connect the components. From the D* receiver and the dvd player to the media box of the TV, he connected all possible video cables (composite, svideo, component). Are all three connections needed?

Second question is about cable and HD. Currently, I have basic cable going directly into the samsung sir-ts360. I also have the local channels coming in via D*. The cable is needed only there to cut the cost of the high speed internet. Anyway, the local channels from D* are not in HD. Do I need to lease a HD receiver from comcast or should the samsung receiver upconvert the cable signal?

tgw1031 said:
...he connected all possible video cables (composite, svideo, component). Are all three connections needed?
Normally only one video and one audio connection is needed. Just use the best one. Component in your case.

Do I need to lease a HD receiver from comcast or should the samsung receiver upconvert the cable signal?
Upconversion does not make HD. ("Garbage in - garbage out"). You need an HD receiver from your cable/satellite company and possibly an additional HD subscription to receive HD channels.

Welcome to the forum!

tgw1031 said:
First question is about the connections. A friend helped me connect the components. From the D* receiver and the dvd player to the media box of the TV, he connected all possible video cables (composite, svideo, component). Are all three connections needed?

NO. In most cases, you would only use the best possible video cable connection. The other two should not be used.

tgw1031 said:
Second question is about cable and HD. Currently, I have basic cable going directly into the samsung sir-ts360. I also have the local channels coming in via D*. The cable is needed only there to cut the cost of the high speed internet. Anyway, the local channels from D* are not in HD. Do I need to lease a HD receiver from comcast or should the samsung receiver upconvert the cable signal?

You need a new HD receiver from D* because your current one won't work for HD. If you live not too far from a major city you'll need an antenna to receive your local channels in HD. Check out http://www.checkhd.com/ and http://www.antennaweb.org to see what local HD channels may be available to you. Comcast you probably let you rent their HD receiver but you'll have to see what they offer and for what additional cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)