Help. Cannot get BD on basement system.

jayn_j

Press On Regardless
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 29, 2003
Sheboygan, WI
I am trying to hook together a breadboard of my home theater in the basement.

I can get everything to display except BD through HDMI. I have cable through a SA HD box and the HD-DVD through the Toshiba A2 is working great.

When I try to select BluRay the projector refuses to select a source.

I am switching everything through an Onkyo 806 receiver. I get sound when I select BluRay, although it takes several seconds before it starts after selecting.

Here is what I have tried:
2 Blu Ray players. A Panasonic BD-60 and a first gen Insignia.
3 HDMI cables
I've tried three configuring three different HDMI inputs and 2 source selectors. The HD-DVD works fine when selected through the normal BluRay path.

I have tried changing the output resolution on the Onkyo.

I have tried changing the input resolution on the projector. It is a data grade 1024x768 Optima for now.

If I hook the Blu Ray player through component, it synchs right up, but of course at 480P.

My thoughts are leaning toward an HDCP issue where the projector is not handling the handshake. If so, I am basically dead until I spring for a better projector.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

If your projector does not do HDCP you will need to use the component inputs. Blu-Ray players definitely enforce HDCP now.

I wouldn't get your hopes up on a data projector. A model number would be exceedingly helpful.

Does the projector have an HDMI input? HDCP is only supported with digital connections (HDMI and DVI-D in the US models and not always on DVD-D).

Any display that doesn't support HDCP will eventually become very problematic as most STBs will require it for displaying HD content sooner or later.

Definitely HDCP. I was forcing the Onkyo to upconvert. When I connected the BD-60 directly to the projector, it synched right up..... at 480i. (Harshness, the projector is vintage 2006 and I am using the DVI-D input. I know the issues, but wanted to confirm here that I hadn't missed anything)

I really hadn't planned on spending the $$ this month for a projector. I still have some room issues to resolve, as well as some questions about a couple of projectors. I'll ask those elsewhere. For now, I guess I'll limit myself to the cable box, the 60ish HD-DVDs and umpteen DVD upconverts.

The only thing left now is to sit back and wait for Bicker to post how its my patriotic duty to suck it up and spend the bucks to support the industry, and how my owned projector, player, legal discs and receiver all somehow add up to piracy :rant:

Last edited: