Help connecting Ethernet cable to rj45 plug

jgags6

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Rockford,IL
I ran a bunch of ethernet cables through my walls going to each room and now all i need to do is put the rj45 plug. THe problem is i dont know what wires go where. Ive been looking online and some sites say i go lite to dark, and others say differently. Can any of you help me?

Do you meant wall jacks or do you just want to put some connectors on the ends of the cables?

If you want wall jacks then most jacks you buy will be color coded and will usually follow the 568B standard.

Probably not this problem but in a bundle of cat 5 cables to find the one you want, short two color pairs and go to the other end, and test those pairs for short. Label it, go to the next cable

Since AT&T did the wiring at work, they did all the in-premise wiring as T568-A. Every Ethernet cable I've ever seen (except for DEC's BN24-series) have been T568-B.

Just a comment on the CAT-5 crossover cable shown on the link: That crossover will work for 10Base-T and 100Base-TX, but if you have 1000Base-TX (gigabit), it won't work since all four pairs need to be crossed over. If you're making you own crossover cables, you might as well make it to the gigabit specs since it will work on all three standards.

Your workplace sounds like mine Foxbat. Now I even have a mis match of jacks all over since I have rewired 1/3 of the facility and ATT did the original stuff. I use 568B patch cords all over and only once have I been able to meter the signal change/slight degradation when I mixed A and B. It was a long run, right to the spec limits.

I have noticed lately that 568A in the US is popping up again.

(hey, firefox spell check is back again I see)

gentle reminder for vista/zone alarm use

dsl caller id on the monitor?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts