Help Explain no signal on 1 of 4 boxes.

kito2112

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
Here's my problem;

I've got 4 Voom boxes in the house. The main TV (RCA hd61THW263) loses signal while the other boxes perform without a problem. I've swapped the suspect box with one of the bedroom's, and It workied fine for a few days and now I'm back to no signal on most channels again on the main TV. ESPNHD works all the time, hardly any other stations will come in. Reboots, etc, do not help.

The wife is not impressed when her Lifetime goes out :no

I checked signal strength on a perfectly clear day; on a working box, I get mid 90's, on the disfunctional box, it's fluctuating all over the place, between 60 and mid 90's, occasionally it will read zero. How can you have zero on one box and 90 on another at the same time???

I called Voom, for the 4th or 5th time since my reinstall 2 weeks ago. I have a service call scheduled for the 13th, where they will replace the box and upgrade my dish.

I don't think it's necessarily the box, since I swapped it for one that I never had a problem with in the bedroom. Not sure what to think, any ideas?

I would check the CABLE for the receiver to the DISH for possible problems like cuts & crimps. Also make sure there are as few connectors as possible in the coax line. If you have diplexers remove them as one could be bad or intermittent. :yes

BryanSR

Thanks for the reply. The Diplexor is the small box on the back of the reciever that the sat cable input goes to? Remove them on all boxes?

I'll check the cable from the dish to the box when I get home this morning and maybe have them replace it on the service call.

Thanks again.

A while back I had trouble with one of my boxes not tuning certain channels. It was only a couple channels that I would rarely watch, so I didn't notice the problem for a while. When I did notice, I switched out a couple of receivers to see if there was something wrong with the receiver, and the problem was still in the same room.

Through research on this site and a couple of others I discovered I was having a polarity problem with the voltage from the receivers. I called voOm and Installs Inc. sent a tech out whom I ended up kicking out of my house :mad: because he told me the problem wasn't fixable and was very rude to me, but that's another story. Kindly voOm immediately sent a tech from the company that originally did the install and he replaced my diplexer with a digital 4 way multi-switch. This solved the problem, and I haven't had any trouble since. :)

I'm not sure if this pertains to your current issue, but I thought I'd pass along the info becuase it sounds like it could be something similar.

you can switch the line on your multi-switch to see if the problem goes to a different box and that will tell if the multi-switch has a bad port on it.

t

I had the exact same problem with mine!! This is what happened and how they fixed it. The installer plugged in my OTA wire into one of the main sat plugs on the diplexer. Check that, because after my initial install the only channel I got was ESPN HD. I was without voom for a week and after finding out it was something that simple I was a little mad..

TXDude,

that was the same problem I had over year ago with my setup. Also I would suggest checking the LNB on the dish too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts