Help, gremlins in the system

Kountzer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
Houston, Texas
Hello. I've mentioned my satellite set-up before. I have having trouble out of the television reception on the 510 receiver. It is connected to both the 61.5 satellite and to a feed line from the dish 500 twin satellite. The tv reception was fine for a month or so. Now, on and off, I keeping getting squiggly lines across the tv. Sometimes the tv tube goes black, except for a single white line through the middle of the screen. Other times it looks as if it is scrambled. I jiggle the connection that connects the receiver to the back of the tv, and it goes away. But then it comes right back. Once, I went up in the attic and re tightened the connections to the sw 21 switch. The squiggly lines disappeared, but they soon came back. Sometimes if I turn the television on and off it disappears, sometimes for a long while, sometimes for only a short time.
I can't tell if it is the connection to the tv, the receiver itself, or the sw 21 switch. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any ideas as to what can be the problem?

Darryl In Houston :confused:

The problem is definitely from the reciever to the TV. What type of connection is it? Coax cable, Composite (yellow/red/white), S-video? I would look at that cable and maybe try a replacement.

Also, unlikely, but it could be your TV going bad. Does it have another input you could try hooking the reciever up to? For example, if your current setup is hooked through composite in, try hooking it up through svideo or coax and see if the problem goes away.

replace your cable from receiver to tv, try receiver on different TV with new cable, if fine, your TV RF connenction is bad, get a new TV

When I first read in his post,"single white line through the middle of the screen" I thought of the rectofire or the crt going bad but wiggiling the cable wouldn't cure that. I have to agree with HokieEngineer. Cable between tv and receiver issues. Try other cables. Hope it's not the connectors from the tv itself, more of a pain to resolve.

Dish Dude said:
replace your cable from receiver to tv, try receiver on different TV with new cable, if fine, your TV RF connenction is bad, get a new TV
I have to reluctantly agree with you if it's the tv to replace it because it's cheaper now to replace a sd tv than to pay to have it repaired. However I fix some old tv's as a hobby and give them away to people who can't afford a new one.

The 501/508/510 receivers were known to have bad tuners in some of them (or at least used to). Has the problem been getting progressively worse? Do you see the same thing on the recorded shows? Rewind the show to see if the same result happens at the same time.

when it happened to me

both time i have had the same problem it turned out to be the tv ,a solid black screen with a bright while line thru the center, but i will admit for the first few month of the problem moving the cable would help or unpluging the rec. or the tv but over time i just never turned the tv off which was fine til we had a power loss and i just broke down a brought a new tv

811 guide problem

24 Month Commitment? Do I own my Hardware?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)