HELP-Inisgnia Aspect/HDMI Prob

Jamey K

Recovering Voomer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2005
West Texas
I'm at a friend's house watching his new Insignia NS-LCD47HD-09. He's hooked to an Motorola DCT6416.

We can't seem to change the aspect. He has to choose Zoom or Cinema to get a full screen and it gets fuzzy.

I also brought an HDMI cable and we can't get a signal out of his Motorola box at all.

Anyone familiar with the Insignia or the Motorola?

THanks!!!

From the manual: ( http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles...ts/Static Files/DCT6400 Series User Guide.pdf )

The DCT6400 outputs HD video through its Y Pb Pr (component), HDMI, or IEEE 1394 connectors. This section describes how to optimize standard and HD video based on your HDTV and personal preferences.
If you use the IEEE 1394 output, no adjustments to the settings are required. For a TV with an HDMI connection, be sure the TV is on and connected to the DCT6400 HDMI OUT connector before adjusting the settings.
Motorola recommends using HDMI cables less than 20 meters long.
You can configure the TV type, HDMI and/or Y Pb Pr video output, and closed captioning.
To optimize the output settings:
1 Be sure your DCT6400 is plugged into a power outlet and connected to your TV.
2 Power off the DCT6400 and then immediately press the MENU key on the front panel. If your TV is on, the on-screen menu lists the settings you can configure.

Use your remote control or the cursor keys on the front panel to navigate the on-screen display:
• Press the ? and ? keys to highlight the setting you wish to change.
• Press the ? key to select an option.
• To exit the setting and move to another setting, use the ? and ? keys.
If the User Settings menu does not display on the HDTV screen, the TV may not support the default video output setting. Use the front panel LED to adjust the settings as described in “There is no video on the TV screen” in “Troubleshooting.”
For a TV with an HDMI connection, be sure the TV is on and connected to the DCT6400 HDMI OUT connector before adjusting the settings.

The User Settings menu options are:
TV Type Sets the aspect ratio. The front panel display indicates the type you select. Defaults to 16:9. Options are 16:9 for wide screen TVs or 4:3 LETTERBOX or 4:3 PAN/SCAN for standard TVs:
• 4:3 LETTERBOX fits widescreen programming on the screen by placing black bars at the top and bottom.
• 4:3 PAN/SCAN fills the screen by cropping the left and right edges of widescreen programming.

HDMI/YPbPr Output
Sets the video display format for the HDMI or component video outputs. The front panel display indicates the format you select. Defaults to 1080i. Options are 1080i, 720p, 480p, or 480i. For HDMI only, additional options you can use to display video on a computer monitor are PC1-VGA (640x480) and PC2-XVGA (800x600). Some TVs only support certain display formats. Check your TV user manual for more information.

If you are not using the HDMI connection, the HDMI/YPbPr OUTPUT setting displays as YPbPr OUTPUT.

4:3 Override
Sets the display format for 4:3 standard-definition programming. If the YPbPr Output is set to 1080i, 720p, or 480p, this setting defaults to 480i. If the YPbPr Output is set to 480i, this setting defaults to OFF and cannot be changed.

Options are:
• OFF displays non-high-definition programs having a 4:3 aspect ratio in wide screen format. On an HDTV, black bars display on the left and right of the picture. Selecting OFF for a 4:3 TV may result in a small picture with black bars around it.
• 480i displays non-high-definition programs in their original 480i format. Some TVs cannot display 480i format on their component video inputs (YPbPr). Check the TV user manual for more information.
• 480p converts non-high-definition TV programs to a higher-quality 480p format. Some TVs cannot display 480p format on their component video inputs (YPbPr). Check the TV user manual for more information.
• Stretch automatically stretches all standard definition programming to fill your widescreen display. Stretch can only be selected if you have TV Type set to 16:9.

As 8bits was saying, are you sure that the programming you are watching actually should even be filling the entire screen. If its not and you are zooming it to make it fit; you are actually distorting the images.

Not all programming is going to be exactly 16x9

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts