Help lost ABC with latest software upgrade*SF Bay area*

mitpdub

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
During this last upgrade my local ABC (kgo) is gone.

Normaly I get a channel 7-1 and 7-2, with 7-1 being the main channel showing the HD content. Now I've lost both of them.

Steps I've taken:

Soft and Hard boot = intially a hard boot would tune back in 7-1, but as soon as I switch channels, then go back, 7-1 is lost.

Called Voom CSR who instructed me to retune OTA signals using installer menu=it rescanned all my local OTA channels with most signals being in the 92-98 range. 7-1 and 7-2 both showed up as 96.

The programming guide has changed a little with the upgrade and some channels like Fox Ch-2 show as 2-1 KTVUD1 and 2-2 KTVU-DT. The primary channel always has the 'hd' following it. There is a difference though with ABC where it shows as 7-1 KGOD1, and 7-2 KGOD2. Note that the difference is the 2nd Kgo has a 'd' instead of a 'dt' for the 2nd channel listed. I'm thinking that this mapping problem since during the scan both said kgodt. Maybe this could be the reason why I get a 'no signal received'. None of my local channels are locked btw.

Does anyone have any insight on this issue? ABC is one of our main local channels we watch with Monday night football, and not to mention Desperate Housewives that the wife enjoys (losing it could cause temporary grief but probably prevent her from getting any new ideas :) ) No MNF would kill me though.....

Again I live in the SF Bay Area so I would think I'm not alone.

If Sean or anyone else has a solution and would like to e-mail me directly please do at mitpdub@hotmail.com

I have the same problem. Interestingly my TV's ATSC tuner can pick up the signal with no problem. I heard that ABC recently changed their broadcast format (MPEG-4?) to conform to FCC requirement. VOOM's STB apparently cannot decode the new format but many ATSC tuners can.

I just called CSR to report this problem and apparently I am the first one to report this to them. CSR promised to escalate this for me. Anyone having the same problem should call VOOM too.

Below is something that I pulled out from AVS forum. The problem we are seeing may be related to this. I assume the ATSC tuner inside VOOM's STB does not comply with this requirement. I wonder if VOOM can fix it with a new software update or VOOM has to update the hardware.

January 1, 2005 Effective Date for Implementation of Updated ATSC
Standard

In 2002, a change to ATSC standard A/53 was adopted which prohibits
the use of MPEG-2 Packet Identifiers (PID) in the range below 0x0030
effective January 1, 2005. As of that date using these values will be
prohibited by the FCC rules (since compliance with A/53C is now
required by the Rules) and broadcasters must not use PID values below
0x0030. Be advised that field experience with some receivers
indicates that changes in PID values and/or program numbers
can "confuse" some DTV sets, resulting in consumer calls. Don't
forget to insure that all equipment (e.g., video encoders,
multiplexers and PSIP generator) is using the same values for each
component when you make the change. Broadcasters can make this change
any time before January 1, 2005.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've sent you an e-mail Sean.
I hope this is something that Voom can fix on their end :)

I called up Voom again BTW to see if they can escalate my situation as well and the CSR told me when he asked his supervisor, that this is the first situation of its kind he has heard in my area :confused:

Hoping for the best :)

Make sure to call the station if you haven't already as we found our local 7-1 off the air this week. Finally called and found out that they were doing "routine maintainence".

Still watching most of the HD channels in Seattle under very clear skies, Gill

I may need to call them to get more info on their changes if Voom doesn't do it first. I'm assuming their signal is transmitting since the signal is coming in at 97. It's a major channel in our area so I know its not out, we run comcast cable in another room and it comes in fine there.

The latest today is is that after trying to repeat the scanning options, I can no longer access the installation wizard.

I guess I have to call Voom and do a reset :confused:

I called Voom to do a 'hit' on my box because I could no longer get to the installation wizard screen. I spoke to a very helpful CSR that wasn't rushed and guided me through several things along with sending the hit on my box. The first time he sent the hit, the parental lock settings went on and I had to disable the function. Unfortunately after doing that a soft reboot, and a hard reboot the installation wizard still wasn't available. He also took my unit off line and placed it back new again, but still nothing.
As a strange side not the channel guide went from 7-1 KgoD1 to 7-1 Kgo-DT, then back to 7-1 KgoD1 again. I'm not sure if this means anything.
I'm scheduled for a visit from a technician by Thursday if nothing gets resolved. Maybe the box is just bad?
I can't really fault the customer service staff, because the guy seemed to try extra hard to fix my problem. I'll keep you guys posted in case anyone else is going through this.

Sean Mota said:
Anyone with this problem, please email me to Sean_Mota@satelliteguys.us your full name and address and the descriptio above and I will send it to the engineers.

Sean, just sent you an email...

In SF - Bay Area and my local ABC (kgo) is gone too... "signal strength" is 98, but i get "No signal rev'd on local channel 7-1..." It was working fine until 3-4 days ago.

mitpdub said:
I called Voom to do a 'hit' on my box because I could no longer get to the installation wizard screen. I spoke to a very helpful CSR that wasn't rushed and guided me through several things along with sending the hit on my box. The first time he sent the hit, the parental lock settings went on and I had to disable the function. Unfortunately after doing that a soft reboot, and a hard reboot the installation wizard still wasn't available. He also took my unit off line and placed it back new again, but still nothing.
As a strange side not the channel guide went from 7-1 KgoD1 to 7-1 Kgo-DT, then back to 7-1 KgoD1 again. I'm not sure if this means anything.
I'm scheduled for a visit from a technician by Thursday if nothing gets resolved. Maybe the box is just bad?
I can't really fault the customer service staff, because the guy seemed to try extra hard to fix my problem. I'll keep you guys posted in case anyone else is going through this.

This really does sound like your local station did the psid under 0x30 thing and missed a piece of equipment in the changeover. The stb is very picky as we all know when a channel psid stuff is not all consistent. We have a channel here in Boston, '5-11 Updatv', that comes in as you scan the 7-x channels. If we channel up or down through 5-11 without hiding it, the box ALWAYS reboots. And I think 5-11 is sent by the 7-x channel on a corrupted or unconfiguted PSID sender.

Dreamin said:
Sean, just sent you an email...

In SF - Bay Area and my local ABC (kgo) is gone too... "signal strength" is 98, but i get "No signal rev'd on local channel 7-1..." It was working fine until 3-4 days ago.

I've got the email. I sent it to the engineers. They may be put you on the Super DMA mapping. Let's see.

No ABC Local

For about a week now, I have lost channel 7, local ABC in San Francisco Bay Areal. Only made a difference when I could not see the HD broadcast of the Monday Night Game.

Any ideas for fixing it. I have tried resetting but no go.

Is ABC the weakest signal of all your local stations? If so, you might want to move the OTA antenna a little more towards ABC direction.

Go to www.antennaweb.org. You can print out a sketch showing all the angles of the local station in your area from your house location.

Signal strength for channel 7 is 92. All my locals come from the same tower in SF. I think it got something to do with them switching to digital from analog. I can no longer get their analog either.

Scroll down to a few posts below where I started a thread regarding this problem. Add your name to it and e-mail Sean with your info.

It's Fixed. Both Channel 7-1 and 7-2 ABC are working now as before.

Thanks Sean :)

After all the normal checking, I email the ABC local engineering department. They replied that they did indeed change their transmission id and since corrected it. So, they fixed the problem the same afternoon. Now I have both 7.1 and 7.2 digital signals. Thanks for the help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts