help me buy a new HDTV

Blake99

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
LCD, Plasma, DLP, CRT, etc...

since my 42" sharp aquos 42D64U model number was stolen i need a new tv. it must be 1080. at least 42" and hopefully $1.000 or less. i do not have HD from DISH, the only HD thing i have is the XBOX 360.

so what are good brands, are their any brands to stay away from. Vizio is the top selling brand and cheap. i would assume they are good. weight is not an issue as it will not be wall mounted.

Cheap is not always the way to go, I see few reviews from here and the AVS forums that Vizio's colors aren't true or even accurate...thats the word out there, I personally don't own a Vizio.
If You were to buy a TV as of now for less than 1000$ and at least 42" and 1080i then I would go with:
Costco - $1,199 After $300 Off Sharp Aquos 42" 1080P LCD HDTV
Now I know, its 200$ more than what you want to spend but take a look its 1080P! You will get most out of this tv if you have a 360 and another console or if you were planning to get HD-DVR from Dish.
It has:

HDMI™ Input x2 (1080p compatible)
HD Component Input x2
Which is great, 1 for the HD-DVR if you ever were to get one, 1 for your PS3 or BR player or even an HD-DVD.
And the components could be used for your 360 and maybe another system in this case a DVD.
So I mean you get most out of this TV for an additional 200$ + Taxes.
BTW The model # for this bad boy is Model LC42D62U
Good luck man, I hope this helped.

In that price range, do not get 1080, there's no good 1080i or 1080p sets in that price range that will even look decent.

In that size range, a decent 720p will look a lot better than a cheap 1080p.

Vizio is absolutely terrible. They look worse than any TV I've ever seen, and they have a high failure rate.

I'd really look into a Panasonic plasma at that price. I've seen some 720p 42" Panasonic plasmas for about $1200 and the image quality blows away any LCD or plasma in that price range.

Can two play at this game?

My budget is around $2k, ideal screen size 60"-65", must have 1080p/24 input - I have both HD DVD & Blu-ray players with 1080p/24 output. Size isn't important - any new HDTV will be small compared to my current behemoth, a Sony 57" rear projection CRT.

In looking at displays at Best Buy & CC, I've never seen an LCD that approaches the PQ of my current display (even though it's only 1080i), especially in my desired screen size. Plasmas look great, but pricey, especially in my desired screen size with 1080p. And I read they are susceptible to glare, and the kitchen adjoining my family room has a skylight. Also, plasma has issues at high altitude? I'm at 4200'.

DLPs look OK, but I read about a "rainbow effect", and different models have issues with bulb life. So, basically I'm looking at a Sony Bravia SXRD KDS-60A3000 60", for around $1850. The SXRD Microdisplay seems to have an edge over DLP to me, and the 120Mhz Video Processing seems a good match for my HD/BD players, Dish HD, and HD OTA.

Anyone want to talk me out of it, or have a better suggestion?

DLPs look OK, but I read about a "rainbow effect", and different models have issues with bulb life.
The latest generation of LED DLPs eliminate both those problems: they don't have a color wheel (i.e. no more "rainbows") and use LED lighting instead of a bulb...
So, basically I'm looking at a Sony Bravia SXRD KDS-60A3000 60", for around $1850. The SXRD Microdisplay seems to have an edge over DLP to me, and the 120Mhz Video Processing seems a good match for my HD/BD players, Dish HD, and HD OTA.
Keep in mind that 120Hz Sony LCDs don't seem to be doing 5:5 pulldown, i.e. the 120Hz advantage doesn't make the picture judder-free, like your CRT does...

Diogen.

The latest generation of LED DLPs eliminate both those problems: they don't have a color wheel (i.e. no more "rainbows") and use LED lighting instead of a bulb...
Keep in mind that 120Hz Sony LCDs don't seem to be doing 5:5 pulldown, i.e. the 120Hz advantage doesn't make the picture judder-free, like your CRT does...

Diogen.

They supposedly do with the motion enhancer turned off.

Displays that support 1080p/24 signal at multiplies of the original frame rate - High-Def Digest Forums

S~

Maybe GL will chime in.

Yes, but now reading the Cnet review, the A3000 series gets a high 8.5 rating, but fails the 1080i video & film test -

As has been the case with Sony for many years, the video processing on the KDS-A3000 leaves something to be desired. On the plus side, the CineMotion feature does provide 2:3 pull-down, and the Motion Enhancer 120Hz feature also smoothes out the picture with film-based content. However, the processing does not de-interlace film-based 1080i HD material properly, which reduces some vertical resolution from 1080i material from off-air HD broadcasts, and cable and Satellite TV HD sources.

Which of course my CRT rear projection display handles perfectly - and why I keep sticking with it. :(

To satisfy all your requirements:

- $2K or less, 60" or more
- 1080/24p and 1080/60i/p input
- proper deinterlacing of 1080/60i
- proper inverse telecine
- refresh at a multiple of 24Hz
- picture quality at least as good as CRT

I think you'll have to wait another 3-6 months...

Diogen.

Can two play at this game?
Don't forget that at most stores like BB or CC, if you buy an $1850 display, you'll also need to allocated about $250 for a stand to put it on. You can get close to 60" in a plasma, but I doubt for $2k. I don't know if you can even find an LCD at that size, surely not for $2k. So you're pretty much asking for a rear projection set - DLP or whatever.

I've never seen an LCD that approaches the PQ of my current display (even though it's only 1080i)
1080i vs. 1808p - terribly overhyped. But pretty much a moot point anyway. You will find it very challenging to find any new 60-65" set that is not 1080p. I'll bet you can't.

Also, plasma has issues at high altitude? I'm at 4200'.
They sell them here in the Mile High City without problems. We've got a 1000 feet on you!

DLPs look OK, but I read about a "rainbow effect"
"read about" means nothing. Can YOU see it? Probably not ... most people can't. I don't think it's a big concern these days. If you go by everything you read, you won't buy anything. Plasmas a bad because of glare. LCDs because of motion blur. DLPs because of rainbow effect. Read about everything, and you have limited yourself to a choice of ... nothing. When I was shopping, I tried and tried to detect motion blur on the LCDs. I couldn't. I tried and tried to see rainbow effect on DLPs. I couldn't. I was able to see the glare on plasmas though. Whether that would be a problem for you depends on the displays location in your home.

The choice will have to be yours. What I like, you my hate. What I found is that I initially stayed away from DLPs. I thought they looked terrible compared to other technologies. Kind of grainy and washed out. But what did I end up with? A DLP. And I couldn't be happier. Seeing it in my home instead of a showroom is like night and day. The picture looks fabulous in my house. MUCH MUCH better than what I was observing in the showrooms. It replaced something that sounds similar to what you are replacing. I had a 10 year old Mitsubishi 60" CRT rear projection. Two large upright refrigerators side-by-side would take up less space than that beast.

For reference, I ended up with a Mitsubishi 65" DLP. Model WD-C657 from Costco. It was $1700 including the stand. The WD-C657 is about halfway between Mitsubishi models WD-65733 and WD-65734 in features, except it only has two HDMI inputs and two component inputs, which still meets my needs. I was initially about to buy a Panasonic 58" plasma, TH-58PZ700U, which was more than double to cost of the DLP set I ended up with.

I would recommend shopping around quite a bit. I went everywhere from ListenUp (a higher end store) to lowly Costco. If you're like me, you should expect your thoughts to change multiple times. Try to look at the same set in different showrooms. You might find what looked so impressive at one place may look not so good at another. Or the opposite.

ok thanks for all the help guys.

i have a feeling i am gonna rebuy my old tv. i am gonna wait about another month or 2 to see if the cops can get my old tv back from the guy who stole it :mad:

ok thanks for all the help guys.

i have a feeling i am gonna rebuy my old tv. i am gonna wait about another month or 2 to see if the cops can get my old tv back from the guy who stole it :mad:

Before you give up, Check Sams club clearance rack. I found a Sharp Aquos 37" there for $800. and have pointed several family members into similar deals there.

:D

DLP Question

PS3 Audio issue vs HDDVD Player/Sat Rcvr

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts