HELP - My 622's TV2 RF out has overmodulated audio!

SpenceJT

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 13, 2003
Madison, WI
622 was installed this morning and now I'm trying to put the TV2's RF output into my household antenna system.

I've had an 811 with an RF modulator working prior to this on channel 44, without a problem. Disconnected the 811 & RF modulator, then ran that cable to the RF output of the 622 (running in dual mode).

Perfect picture, but the audio is way loud and garbled! Tried changing the TV2 modulator to other channels with same results. Installed the included in-line attenuator which did nothing for the audio and weakened the picture quality. Soft-booted it two times, haven't tried a hard reboot as I don't think it would help.

Here I've gone and sold my wife on this upgrade as a way of recording her "Days of Our Lives" and watching it anywhere in the house and she's laughing at me! ;)

Just noticed that the new Dish 500 (129) is not grounded, would this have any effect? Does anyone have any ideas before I make the call to Dish Network.

Thanks,
Spence

Last edited:

rglore

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 12, 2006
Louisville
Do a cold reboot (pull the plug for 30 sec.). My TV2 RF audio had the same problem and after the third reboot, it finally cleared up. Others have seen the same thing.

Also, make sure your modulator channels are at least two channels away from all local analog and digital channels. (go to antennaweb.org to get the digital channnel numbers)

The supplied attenuator is supposed to be used on the RF output if it feeds a single TV. My 622 is feeding 8 TVs.

SpenceJT

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 13, 2003
Madison, WI
garys said:
The attenuator works with the UHF remote, has nothing to do with the rf output. If the coax output amplied at any point?

WOW I swear the tag said something about TV2, must have been referring to the TV2 RF remote. I shouldn't play with my new toys when on cold medication. ;)

Regardless of the attenuator, TV2's RF output is overmodulated. Enabled TV1's RF output and it comes through normally. I don't get it. Do I have a bad unit?

I'm going to do a power-plug reboot then head up for the night and check on it again in the morming.

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
SpenceJT,

You are not crazy, the tag does say to attach it to output TV 2 in special cases and to consult Chapter 2.

Unfortunately, it does not talk about it in Chapter 2, it starts on page 101 in chapter 12. There is also a section about using the output with an off-air antenna starting on page 108.

Edit:

Go to page 139 look at the middle section titled:
Signal Strength Present at the Television
it address the provided attenuator they sent in the box.

Last edited:

SpenceJT

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 13, 2003
Madison, WI
SatinKzo said:
SpenceJT,

You are not crazy

Um, thanks SatinKzo... but you don't know me. My friends might disagree with that statement. :devil:

Well boys and girls, in other news I gave up and called Advanced Tech Support. I must have hit the tech support lottery as I ended up with Candice, who was the sweetest voice and the nicest person I've ever dealt with at Dish.

I prefaced my conversation with her by stating that I've been "around the block" where it comes to troubleshooting and had (up until SuperDish) installed my own hardware. She laughed, noting that her records show that I had owned a 921 and given that fact, I was probably qualified to work with "advanced tech support".

Candice listened while I went down the list of everything that I had done in troubleshooting, which pretty much matched up with what she had on her checklist. I noted that when I had enabled the TV1 RF modulator, the picture and audio were perfect. Only TV2's RF output had bad audio and that I had confirmed this on multiple channels.

Yes, she asked if I had tried the attenuator. :D

She came to the same conclusion. The RF2 modulator on my 622 is defective. She passed my ticket along to some R&D group to check and see if they had heard of similar issues and were working on a fix. They were going to call me within 24 hours with results and or an RMA and confirmed replacement.

Candice called me back within ten minutes having spoken to someone in that group and researched a list of known issues (my issue is not on that list) to tell me that she had authorized a replacement.

I should have 622 ...2 in a few days (probably around the same time as the 622 that I've purchased).

Anyway, it looks like the my issue will be resolved soon. Hope any of you who ever get Candice as a support rep tell her that Jeff says thank you and had great things to say about her. It's refreshing to speak with someone who's native language is ENGLISH. I could hear her smile and her attitude conveyed that she enjoyed what she was doing. Candice YOU ROCK!

...and I'm a smitten puppy! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)