Help: New Hopper coming tomorrow - time to backup/move recordings

nwflyboy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
Seattle, WA, USA
So I called Dish today to upgrade our setup, and negotiate over pricing. Got a pretty good deal, I think ($45/month off for 12 months, then back to full price for another 12 months, with new gear). It took a little haggling (I declined 3 lesser offers before they offered this one), and overall I'm happy.

I was surprised when he offered to have the installer come out today (like, right after the phone call). I told him I wasn't quite ready, and we scheduled the visit for tomorrow morning.

Now I need to back up and preserve the recordings I have on the VIP722 that will be going away.

That box has, I believe, a 500GB internal HD, which is about 80-90% full. I also have an 1 TB external HD (about 90% full) hooked up to the VIP722.

As I understand it, the new Hopper which will arrive tomorrow has a 2 TB internal HD, and one can plug in two external HDs.

I also have a brand new (still in the box), unused 2 TB external HD ready to hook up. In order to preserve all my recorded programs, here's what I'd like to do...

1. Disconnect the existing 1 TB external HD from the VIP722 and set it aside
2. Connect my fresh (new, empty) 2 TB external HD to the VIP722
3. Transfer all the recordings from the VIP722 internal HD to the 2 TB external HD. I figure this will take more than a few hours but should be done by the time the Dish guy shows up tomorrow morning
4. Once the new gear is installed and running, connect both the old 1 TB external HD and the newer 2 TB external HD, and access the recorded programs on either

Should the above all work?
Any gotchas I need to look out for or worry about?

Thanks!

It will work, but let the Hopper sit for a couple of days to finish downloading the software/features.

Great, thanks. No problem, I'll give the Hopper plenty of time to get settled in and acclimated to its new home.

Is it a good idea to power off the VIP722 when disconnecting/connecting external drives?
I'm not sure if I have ever shut that thing off in the 3-4 years we've had it (other than a few brief household power failures....).
I'm thinking, "yes, probably"/couldn't hurt...

Thanks!

Or he could go to Dish Anywhere (presuming his 722 is connected to the internet), go to My DVR and then My Timers and print that screen out. IIRC he wouldn't even need a sling adapter since he's not viewing the recordings just accessing a list of the timers. I know I've seen & set timers on an old 625 that I had so he should be able to do the same with his 722. Too bad Dish doesn't have a way of importing the timers that the can obviously see over the internet.

Reactions: nwflyboy
I seem to get about 15-20GB/hour in transfers (maybe less). If your 722 is 80-90% full, you'll need a couple days to transfer that much content.

Reactions: Foxbat and Hall
Almost done with the transfers actually, just a handful of 30 minute recordings left, should be done in an hour (glad I started in the afternoon....). And almost 7 hours to spare before the earliest the technician might arrive in the morning!

Thanks for the practical advice on copying the timers - I'll see if I can manage the DishAnywhere trick, if that doesn't work, I'll just take some photos, that'll be good enough.

Many thanks as always for the excellent info shared here - it's one of the reasons I'm a happy Dish customer (will be more happy tomorrow...).

Dish anywhere only shows timers that are scheduled or skipped, it doesn't show any timers that are currently inactive do to no upcoming episodes.

Sent from my iPad using Safari.

Dish anywhere only shows timers that are scheduled or skipped, it doesn't show any timers that are currently inactive do to no upcoming episodes.

Sent from my iPad using Safari.
Thank you- I didn't know that.

I replaced multiple 722's. The write down was easier than the pictures. I could save what I had written down. That worked best for me.
Now with the Hopper remote storing timers and settings, that process is ancient history.

So I called Dish today to upgrade our setup, and negotiate over pricing. Got a pretty good deal, I think ($45/month off for 12 months, then back to full price for another 12 months, with new gear). It took a little haggling (I declined 3 lesser offers before they offered this one), and overall I'm happy.

I was surprised when he offered to have the installer come out today (like, right after the phone call). I told him I wasn't quite ready, and we scheduled the visit for tomorrow morning.

Now I need to back up and preserve the recordings I have on the VIP722 that will be going away.

That box has, I believe, a 500GB internal HD, which is about 80-90% full. I also have an 1 TB external HD (about 90% full) hooked up to the VIP722.

As I understand it, the new Hopper which will arrive tomorrow has a 2 TB internal HD, and one can plug in two external HDs.

I also have a brand new (still in the box), unused 2 TB external HD ready to hook up. In order to preserve all my recorded programs, here's what I'd like to do...

1. Disconnect the existing 1 TB external HD from the VIP722 and set it aside
2. Connect my fresh (new, empty) 2 TB external HD to the VIP722
3. Transfer all the recordings from the VIP722 internal HD to the 2 TB external HD. I figure this will take more than a few hours but should be done by the time the Dish guy shows up tomorrow morning
4. Once the new gear is installed and running, connect both the old 1 TB external HD and the newer 2 TB external HD, and access the recorded programs on either

Should the above all work?
Any gotchas I need to look out for or worry about?

Thanks!

I have had dish for 9 years. Want to upgrade to Hopper / Super Joey. I would like to know how OP got this deal set up for him.
Thanks in Advance...
Tonare1

He called them..... Worst Case scenario, call and ask for Loyalty. Not every customer will get the same deal though... It will be based on account history, you may get a better one,you may get one not as good. It is a gamble. Not a very serious one though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)