Help! Only mono signal with XM Delphi Skyfi2...

kalel

Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
Hi! I'm _very_ new to XM. Just got a Delphi SkyFi2 receiver and tested it for the first time tonight. I have not activated an XM subscription yet because I want to test the radio.

(I don't know if this matters, but...) So, for my test, I am only using the preview channel built into the radio.

I had no problem with satellite signal strength. Got 3 bars.

I'm using the FM modulator.

Problem is that when I choose any empty radio station frequency (that the SkyFi2 supports), I do get the audio at my car stereo for the matched frequency, but the car stereo that's playing the audio is in FM mono mode for that frequency.

In other words, say I listen to a regular FM (not satellite) frequency. If I tune an FM station in that's stereo, a little ST shows up on the car stereo display. With the SkyFi2, when I us the FM modulator of the mobile unit that comes with the SkyFi2, the car stereo never indicates ST (i.e., it's in mono) for the matched frequency. I tried this with all the radio stations that the SkyFi2 can do.

I also tried this using a stereo boombox. Again, regular FM radio indicates ST(stereo), but for any of the empty frequencies that I tried, the boombox will play back the audio, but no ST is indicated (and the sound is mono).

Can anyone tell me what's going on here? Is the FM modulator supposed to be putting out a stereo signal to the car stereo, so that the car stereo will indicate ST for that frequency?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Problem fixed! Stereo being received now...

Problem fixed!

I just activated my XM...

And, now I see there are stations coming down in stereo and then
transmitting from my FM modulator to the stereo systems... in stereo (and
the nice ST symbol shows up now! :)

As it turns out, XM Preview is broadcast in mono from
the satellite, and therefore, it is passed along to the FM modulator that
way. Since that was my only test station before I activated, that's all I
had to go on... a test signal in mono.

All is working now.

(This XM is really cool!)

Steve

Local Circuit City

Record labels, satellite radio in conflict

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts