Help please ..I am a newbie here

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Toni Daigneault Robinson

Original poster
Can somebody explain why I can't watch another program when my dvr is recording 2 shows at the same time...When I try to watch something it tells me I have to delete one of the programs I am recording before I can watch something else..Is there some way to fix this or am I stuck just recording one thing at a time so I can still watch something else

welcome :wave
Directv DVR's can only record two shows at the same time. The exception is the Home Media Center aka the HR34 aka "Genie". That can record 5 shows at once

When I had a two tuner DVR I recorded a lot of the shows on the late night time slot. Cable networks replay programs like 3 hours after the "East coast" showing.
In fact due to conflicts I have 4 A&E shows (2 episodes of Parking Wars and Billy the Exterminator) recording at midnight to 2AM Central instead of 8-10.

The only drawback of this is you have to set up the timers. You can't use the "Series recording" where it automatically finds and records the shows (it would record the earlier time unless there is a conflict)

Thank you very much..So I guess I will be juggling shows around now If I want to watch something that isn't being recorded while the others are..Darned neighbor he was being nice and bush hogged the back and got to close the the line to the main box which we never watch tv on because my husband is disabled and stays in his room most of the time so we had to move the boxes around and the lines so he could still watch tv but we will have to get used to this we were spoiled just watching tv on the hd box and recording his shows while still watching something else at the same time..

One thing to keep in mind is that you can watch a previously recorded show while you are recording two shows at the same time. I do this quite a lot. But, as noted, since you only have 2 tuners and you want to record two channels you have used all the tuners. Maybe this will work for you.

Thank you very much..So I guess I will be juggling shows around now If I want to watch something that isn't being recorded while the others are..Darned neighbor he was being nice and bush hogged the back and got to close the the line to the main box which we never watch tv on because my husband is disabled and stays in his room most of the time so we had to move the boxes around and the lines so he could still watch tv but we will have to get used to this we were spoiled just watching tv on the hd box and recording his shows while still watching something else at the same time..

Sounds like your coax got clipped. Are any of your neighbors handy with electrical stuff? Maybe they could fix it. If not, maybe call DirecTV and see what it could cost to get it fixed. It should be a simple service call if nothing else. Maybe it's covered under the protection plan?

welcome :wave
Directv DVR's can only record two shows at the same time. The exception is the Home Media Center aka the HR34 aka "Genie". That can record 5 shows at once

When I had a two tuner DVR I recorded a lot of the shows on the late night time slot. Cable networks replay programs like 3 hours after the "East coast" showing.
In fact due to conflicts I have 4 A&E shows (2 episodes of Parking Wars and Billy the Exterminator) recording at midnight to 2AM Central instead of 8-10.

The only drawback of this is you have to set up the timers. You can't use the "Series recording" where it automatically finds and records the shows (it would record the earlier time unless there is a conflict)
Parking wars...Very entertaining!. The excuses people use are just hilarious!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)