Help with alignment

Avchick

Original poster
Dec 16, 2021
Montana
Hi, having issues with aligning dish. Have tried a few different setups and cannot get any signal.

Slimline dish, lnb3, an hr54, split4 (on correct power ports), tested using both an Aim meter and the built in meter in the reciever. Also used location info from directv, dishpointer and a phone app. Can't get any change in readings on the aim meter nor on the built meter. Mast is plumb, using Azimuth and elevation based on our location. Completely at a loss of why we can't get this aimed.

Last edited:
Hi, having issues with aligning dish. Have tried a few different setups and cannot get any signal.

Slimline dish, lnb3, an hr54, split4 (on correct power ports), tested using both an Aim meter and the built in meter in the reciever. Also used location info from directv, dishpointer and a phone app. Can't get any change in readings on the aim meter not on the built meter. Matt is plumb, using Azimuth and elevation based on our location. Completely at a loss of why we can't get this aimed.
:welcome to Satelliteguys Avchick!
Is this a new installation or has it ever worked? I assume it's not new. Are you certain the lnb is good? Have you checked all of the connections?

Reactions: Avchick
:welcome to Satelliteguys Avchick!
Is this a new installation or has it ever worked? I assume it's not new. Are you certain the lnb is good? Have you checked all of the connections?
Thanks for the welcome!
It is a new install, the lnb3 is brand new, the dish itself is used. It's a temporary install. I have it on a non penetrating roof mount. I have also tried a lnb5 with a swim 16 and couldn't get any change in signal. Going to test all the cables this evening.

Sounds like you are installing at a cabin in the woods! :)
Are you sure you have a good line of sight? An even slightly bent dish can cause your symptoms.

Reactions: Avchick
Sounds like you are installing at a cabin in the woods! :)
Are you sure you have a good line of sight? An even slightly bent dish can cause your symptoms.
Almost! We have great open skies in the direction we need (this guy literally almost has 360° views of the valley). I do have have a brand new reflector I can try tomorrow. I can get photos tomorrow if that helps. I'm a newbie at this, so I appreciate any help! Any tutorials on the aim meter or satellite setup would be awesome, I think I've watched just about every one on youtube.
Thank you!

Brought out a whole new reflector & arm set up.....scanned around, still nothing... We loosened everything up so we could kinda move it all over and boom! We hit something! After tightening it down we figured out what the issue was!

Note: we did not go back and verify this with the used reflector... After looking closely, the new arm fixture has a red line along the edge of the bracket at the elevation bolt 'window'.... The old one doesn't have that, nor any other engraving or indicator. Im sure it was a bit of both (elevation and potentially deformed reflector) that was causing the issues. So happy we got locked in... especially since it's 2° out that and we've spent so many hours standing in the cold this week.

Thank you all who replied sooooo much!
Hearing the meter make it's little sound was the best thing ever...

20211217_134933.jpg

20211217_134939.jpg

Brought out a whole new reflector & arm set up.....scanned around, still nothing... We loosened everything up so we could kinda move it all over and boom! We hit something! After tightening it down we figured out what the issue was!

Note: we did not go back and verify this with the used reflector... After looking closely, the new arm fixture has a red line along the edge of the bracket at the elevation bolt 'window'.... The old one doesn't have that, nor any other engraving or indicator. Im sure it was a bit of both (elevation and potentially deformed reflector) that was causing the issues. So happy we got locked in... especially since it's 2° out that and we've spent so many hours standing in the cold this week.

Thank you all who replied sooooo much!
Hearing the meter make it's little sound was the best thing ever...

View attachment 155065
View attachment 155066
Glad to hear you got it dialed in !!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)